Bowron Lakes Provincial Park
Review Highlights
Pathways - Bowron Lake circuit

We seemed to hit the circuit at the absolute perfect time. Smoke had JUST eased off after almost 2... read more

Reviewed January 20, 2019
kimperpete
Lake Country, Canada
via mobile
Great canoe experience !

We did the full Bowron Lake circuit with a canoe rented at Becker's lodge. The trip was great. We... read more

Reviewed August 14, 2018
BVD73
Belgium

All reviews canoe trip bucket list rain gear becker's lodge pack light a joke circuit paddling bugs moose portages beauty wilderness sites camping mud axe
Reviewed September 5, 2016

My husband and I just returned from an outstanding vacation with Sea to Sky Expeditions on the Bowron Lakes Canoe Circuit. Throughout the tour, our guides, Tom and Miranda, were very professional, knowledgeable and always put the safety of their guests first. Both Tom and Miranda were vey competent drivers on the 14 hour winding road trip from Vancouver to the Bowron Lakes. We called our holiday the "B.C. Cousin Trip" as 8 out of the 10 guests were family members. My only expectation was to have a good time with my cousins. My husband I have a canoe at our cottage but the extent of our canoeing experience was paddling leisurely around the bay and we hadn't slept in a tent for over 32 years! However, we are both relatively fit in our late 50s, thanks to yoga and power walking, so we were up to the challenge of the portages and the extensive all day paddling. The first two days, the portages were strenuous and all personal items were carried in our backpacks so be careful not to over pack! I found the paddling to be relaxing on the very calm waters. Perhaps, we were fortunate for the most part to be paddling with the wind behind us. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of valuable instruction about paddling that was provided by our guides. Most mornings, began with introducing and reviewing paddling strokes, river and lake expectations and of course safety rules. The scenery and wildlife were breathtaking! Most of the lakes were crystal clear and it was easy to see an abundance of fish. One member of our group caught 7 small lake trout in one short evening at our campsite on Swan lake. We also saw an osprey dive into the water in front of our canoe and surface with a fish in his claws. There was an abundance of other birdlife such as, Bald Headed Eagles, ducks, loons and owls. We were fortunate to see two moose in the water at different times and we were entertained by a family of otters catching fish. Another pleasant surprise was the gourmet food! Tom and Miranda are awesome chefs and we were all blown away by their creative culinary skills. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were always delicious! Every dinner was a unique cultural experience and we devoured such tasty delights as, Tex Mex, Pesto Pasta, Vegetable Soup and Tabouli, Bangers and Mash, Thai Noodles with lime and peanuts, Rice Curry and Stew and Bannock. Fresh vegetables, fruits and exotic cheeses were available. Our last night we had cheesecake with fresh blueberries picked at our campsite. On the portages, one could always munch on wild raspberries, huckleberries and blueberries. Most importantly, we all laughed for 10 days straight! The trip was a wonderful bonding time with my cousins. Tom and Miranda took care of all of the details so we could just have the time of our lives! I highly recommend to make this trip a family event!

1  Thank mbutty2016
Reviewed September 4, 2016

Go to Killarney, alquonquin, boundary waters, anywhere else, pit toilets filthy, poor tent pads, do not take wheels if you do go as portages too rough, good for carry, lots and lots of people at end August beginning September, like a highway, park people use motor boats, and they seem to be on joy rides, very loud! We did circuit in 7 days, wanted to stay 10, but too smelly, and too crowded, hard to even get camp site after 4pm, so plan to stop early, one couple said they paddled until 7 and then just threw there tent down ad hoc as all sites full, watch rivers after rains if no experience one class 3 on Isaac River, after portage, scout prior to running, take canoe plus 30-45 lbs per person max! No wheels
Happy paddling pool

Date of experience: September 2016
4  Thank 13frise
Reviewed September 3, 2016

This was my third time on the chain with a travel time of five days. This can be a push for many as the first day needs to be made with a minimum of two portage's. This also makes for longer paddling days of 5+ hours but for our group it worked out well. Getting on the water by 7ish every day is a bonus as the water is generally flat and we prefer to have the afternoon off to relax and cook. Yes, rain and wind were involved so be prepared but we also had great weather too. Bears (Grizzly and Black w/cub) were seen along the way as well as Moose, Beaver, Eagles and Osprey. The majority of the group was 60 plus with three being in their 70's (I'm 48) and all ferred well. If your on the lakes in August check out Unna Lake and trek to Horseshoe Falls. On your way back you can pick your fill of wild Blueberries. Planning my next trip in two years with my teenage girls and looking forward to it already.

Notes: sites were immaculate but the designated wood lots were empty. No problem though as there is plenty off deadfall to collect and have a campfire every night.

1  Thank fridgmagnit
Reviewed August 22, 2016

At 116 km this is the best canoe circuit in North America or at least Western Canada. In June and July you can get wet but see lots of bear and moose. Go in August and lose the big animals but also the bugs. Easy 6-7 day paddle. Portages are doable but 2 of them will push you with lots of ruts, mud, rock and steep grades with none longer than 3 km. Make sure you rent a cart.

Becker's Lodge will treat you right for equipment and 1st night accomodation.

1  Thank FatherBDB
Reviewed August 22, 2016

Chose to paddle the Bowron Lakes with Sea to Sky Expeditions because I had neither the equipment nor expertise to do it without a group. Tom and Tessa were excellent guides from the time they picked us up in North Vancouver. The portages were harder than I had expected and the great thing about being in a group was that we could then put 4 people on each canoe to get it up the hills or through the mud. Tom and Tessa provided lots of instruction on paddling so by the end, I could actually steer the canoe.

The Bowron Lake circuit was incredibly beautiful. Paddling in silence through water that changed from green to blue to grey depending on the cloud cover, with the glaciers on the mountains surrounding us was fabulous. The trip as a whole was beyond words and I can only encourage anyone who has been thinking about it to give it a try.

Date of experience: July 2016