“Greatest Place on Earth?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in British Columbia
Meadow Lake Fishing Camp
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Greatest Place on Earth?”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I love this place. My first trip to Meadow Lakes was in 1993, when I was 9 years old, and, after giving up on fishing during high school and college, I returned to this childhood haunt this summer, my first trip in 18 years. In many ways, not much had changed--the camp still has a rustic beauty, with the same old cabins, and the lake maps and aged polaroids hanging on the walls of the lodge. While it still has its old charm, there have been a few welcome changes since I was last here, including a bright new lodge overlooking Meadow Lake, and a huge improvement in the cuisine (I doubt many fishing camps provide homemade Wiener Schnitzel for their guests). The owners, Uli and Francesco, are perfect hosts--they are great at cooking, telling jokes and stories, and seem to remember every guest they've ever had.
Now, the fishing--it was some of the best trout fishing I have ever had, and I couldn't wait to get out on the lake in the morning to have a go at landing a "wall fish" (catching a trout over 4 lbs means you attain immortality in the camp's hall of fame). This is coming from someone who gave up on fishing as "boring" when I was a teenager. I just returned to the real world, and I am already trying to figure out when I can make my next trip to Meadow Lakes. For me and my family, it's like its own special world--as close as one can get to Narnia or Middle Earth without using magic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jdm83
Francesco P, Owner at Meadow Lake Fishing Camp, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Wow, thanks for your amazing review and especially for comparing this place to the magic of Middle Earth and Narnia, because we feel exactly the same way, just couldn't put a name to it....

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Who would have ever believed I would love a fish camp so much. The best part are the owners Uli and Francesco. Warm, welcoming and fabulous cooks. The fishing is fabulous and meditative. Great hiking as well. Can't wait til next time.
Lanser

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lanser61
MeadowLakeCamp, Owner at Meadow Lake Fishing Camp, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review. It really helps us to show women that fishing is not just for guys and that there is also more than just fishing at Meadow Lake...
All the best

Uli and Francesco
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed March 17, 2013

been spending a week trout fishing in Canada for twenty years and at four different camps. Meadow Lake is the best of all of them for number of lakes available, quantity and size of fish, facilities, hospitality, and food. Meadow Lake can't be beat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank arlen123
Kailua, HI
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Meadow Lake Fishing Camp has been my family's favorite fishing destination dating back to the 1970's. I made my first trip as a 6 year old in 1988 and I have been dreaming of Wall Fish ever since. Since leaving the Pacific Northwest I haven't been able to make the trip every year, but even living in Alaska, Virginia and now Hawaii I have still made flight out occasionally just to get my fishing fix.

The lakes provide plenty of variety for every skill level of fisherman. Many of the lakes are full of 1-2 lb fish (perfect for smoking). A few of the lakes will challenge even the most skilled, but they offer the possibility of the fish of a lifetime (my biggest was 7lbs). There are boats provided by the camp at each of the lakes, but a few of the smaller lakes are also perfect for float tubing if that is your preferred watercraft.

The camp itself is very cozy and many of the visitors have been returning for 3+ generations. It's been a few years since my last visit, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new lodge on the lake when I make the trip out in summer of 2013 (put the Wall Fish on notice). The only major drawback to the camp is that you will eventually have to leave to go back to the real world.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank flyfisher82
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the greatest place on earth! I started going when I was 8 with my dad and went every year during my teens. Started in 1969. Great times and great fishing. Then I hooked up with the current owners bout 5 years ago taking my family back. Such a great place to relax! Fishing is great, my 18 year caught a 4lb15oz Kamloops trout last summer!!! Was so great to watch and hear him yelling across the lake!! I was so happy as a dad! The cabins are so cool and the lodge great! Sitting on the deck after a wonderful dinner overlooking Meadow lake is unbelievable! A must for all! Uli and Francesco are the greatest hosts ever. Next summer I'm goin there with my 18 and 8 year old boys..... Can't wait. Those Kamloops trout fight like crazy!
Cabins have wood burning stoves and Coleman lanterns and great beds.....what more could you ask for!
Can even have a trout for breakfast..and the smoked trout you get to take home is wonderful, enjoying some for Christmas this year!
Don't pass this by, you'll love it

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Puffpoppa
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Beautiful wilderness location, cosy rustic cabins and wonderful cuisine. Francesco and Ulie are brilliant hosts and made me very welcome. Great range of fishing lakes within easy walking distance; exceeded my expecations. I recommend Meadow Lake Fishing Camp very highly. I wish Francesco and Ulie well with their future plans and hope to return in 2013.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Wife and I spent four very enjoyable days at Meadow Lake Fishing Camp in September 2012. Francesco and Uli were very gratious and accommodating hosts, who went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable and helped us get to the more remote fishing lakes accessible from their camp. Our cabin was comfortable, food was great, and the fishing exceeded our expectations. We really enjoyed our walks to and from the surrounding lakes. Looking forward to our next visit. NeilK

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MeadowLakeCamp, Owner at Meadow Lake Fishing Camp, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks Kathy and Neil for your great review, hope you enjoyed your Wall Fish.