“To Eat Here Is To Fall In Love”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Casa Pergola

La Casa Pergola
Ranked #68 of 321 Restaurants in Red Deer
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Beautiful Fine dining Restaurant in the Heart of Downtown Red Deer, offering freshest ingredients and highest quality foods. Home made preserves and sauces. Elegant, romantic atmosphere for all occasions and special occasions, Extensive wine list and wonderful selection of top notch spirits.
Red Deer, Canada
“To Eat Here Is To Fall In Love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

The dining room is softly lit with white tables clothes and opera playing softly...very romantic! The staff is always kind and helpful...not stuck-up at all for a nice joint like this. Don't miss the Prawns wrapped in pancetta as they are to DIE for. Fresh homemade pasta and many locally sourced ingredients too. The lounge is very nice as well and the patio is amazing summer-y for a downtown street location.

Visited September 2012

“One of my favorites!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We have been there a few times: with friends, for a Christmas party, and for a birthday. Each time the food was delicious! Service is acceptable, although not outstanding. The atmosphere is romantic, with music and dim lighting. This restaurant is one of my favorite choices.

• Visited June 2012
Red Deer, Canada
“Worst Dining Experience Ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I was with a group of 8 women who ate at La Casa Pergola on Thursday, August 16, 2012. We are a group who regularly eat out together, and chose La Casa Pergola for this time. It was the first (and last) time I ate there, and I can confidently say the same for most of the other women in my group.

We arrived at 7pm for our reservation, and waited about half an hour to order (as we were waiting for everyone to arrive). We ordered our appetizers (only 1 appetizer, cheese balls, that a few women shared) and our entrees at that time. The cheese balls and some bread came out in a slow but not terrible time, as did our beverages, but we waited an hour and a half for our entrees. It was after 9pm before they arrived. I worked in the restaurant industry (Earls and the Keg) for 6 years, and I know what can be expected of service at a restaurant. I have never experienced such bad service as we did that evening. The server was pleasant although seemed really nervous, but made no comment about the extreme delay in our food. Every restaurant I've worked at had high expectations that no dish should take longer than about 20 minutes from time of order to time of serving to the customer. Maybe a really well done large steak would need half an hour, but any longer than that is excessive. We ordered mostly pasta and pizza, which should take no longer than 15 minutes to get to the table. My pasta (truffle penne) was delicious. although very simple, but the women who had pizza (very small pizzas, my one friend said she left hungry) said theirs seemed like it had been sitting a while. Given the high prices, I had high expectations. It also bothered me that the server made absolutely no comment on the fact that our meals were taking so ridiculously long. (For example, my husband and I just went to earls the other night, and the first thing the server said to us was that the kitchen was backed up due to it being unexpectedly busy, and we may have to wait 45 minutes for out food. That's the right thing to do, not pretend that if it's not acknowledged, we might not notice it!). our server offered us a second tiny basket of bread about an hour in (we should have received more bread the first time as there was 8 of us), but didn't even acknowledge the slowness of the food until I asked if our entrees were coming soon. Then he said, "another 5 minutes", but it was another half-hour.

The last straw for me was when we were all charged a 20% gratuity! I rarely pay 20% tip unless the food is great and the service astounding, never mind the horrible experience we had. I understand that it was likely not the server's fault that the service was so slow, but the kitchen's fault (or possibly poor management), but I felt absolutely robbed when I paid 27.66 for a bowl of simple pasta (I understand truffles are pricey, but there wasn't even meat in my dish) and a soda water. I was shocked to be charged an additional 4.61 on top of my meal. I feel that because we were a large group, we were taken advantage of due to "rules" of added gratuity, therefore there is no accountability for excellent service. To try and appease us, we were offered one small piece of cake to share among 8 of us, and I found the cake to be rather tasteless.

I am not the type of person to make a scene at the restaurant, but I also feel that this needs to be communicated to management and prospective customers (be warned!). I also feel ripped-off. There is clearly a problem at La Casa Pergola, and I will not be returning, and will be warning those I know not to go as well. I believe that the restaurant will likely be out of business if things don't change soon.

• Visited August 2012
5 Thank Annahalliwell
Red Deer, Canada
“Ok food, disappointed in the service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Looking for a nice evening out together for our Anniversary back in June, we decided to head back to La Casa Pergola. To start, our server forgot to give us a drink menu and only realized when he came to take our order 15 min later. We asked our waiter what he would recommend which was the veal. We both ordered it and agreed it was ok, but wouldn't order it again. We were both quite surprised with the poor service we got considering the price of the bill. The setting is nice, but don't think we'll be back for awhile.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank hockeymom2222
Sylvan Lake, Canada
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

This is our favourite place to go on date nite for my wife and I. Great atmosphere and amazing food! Try the shrimp gambretti, its amazing!!