“Don't bother”

Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Don't bother”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

I love Mexican food. I had deep fried Flautas and Beef Enchiladas. The Flautas were wonderfully crispy but that's where my fine dining experience ended. The inside was insignificant, almost not worth whatever effort was put into it. Ok. The enchiladas, two folded over flour tortillas filled with some sort of tomato based beef hash under a melted slushy of cheese. The beef was almost non existent and the overall flavour wasn't the sort of thing that encouraged you to chew your way through 2 soggy tortillas. The requisite rice and refried beans could not have been older, both of them were alive and well yesterday I'm certain. It takes real determination to dry out rice and rinse out refried beans in that fashion. The service was good but I paid 30$ for a plate of food that I consumed no more than 20% of. This was awful.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Dleeschz

Enderby, British Columbia, Canada
“Homemade Corn Tortillas!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

A good tortilla is hard to find - but look no further than Las Palmeras in Red Deer - on the west side of Gaetz just above the river valley on the southside. The food is good and damn, they make a fine Mojito!

Visited May 2013
Canada
“You're a long way from Mexico!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I went to Los Palmaros for a date. We dined early, so there was no issue with being seated immediately. We had a quiet booth seat in a corner. The decor was bright and cheery, close to the restaurants we dined at in Mexico. However, the entry is small and there was a cramped feel to the restaurant. The bathroom was clean and contemporary.
The server brought us a complimentary bowl of chips and salsa. It was refreshing. At first I thought it was made in-house; however I have since learned it is Pace with diced cucumber and cilantro added. Our food was hot and well-plated. My wife had a chi-chi, but it was weak and didn't have much flavour. We did not have dessert.
Each entre was $13-25. The drink was $8. Overall, the value for the food and drinks was fair.

Atmosphere: 7 out of 10
Service: 9 out of 10
Food: 7 out of 10
Value; 7 out of 10

This is an alright choice for Mexican food in Red Deer, AB.

• Visited April 2013
Edmonton
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had tried to visit this restaurant once before, but left as no one came out from the back to seat me.So, I tried again on May 6. Got seated fairly promptly, and got a drink after about 5 minutes. I was pretty excited as there are lots of good reviews on TA. Ordered a steak M rare. Steak came white all the way through and so tough I couldn't eat it. I would have complained but no one came to ask how my meal was, or see if I needed another drink. This is pretty hard to believe as I think it is a family run business?
Red Deer is a pretty bustling place so maybe you don't have to worry about your service or food as the demand will keep your doors open. I definitely won't be back and would not recommend anyone else go.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank frzntundra
Western Canada
“I know why I like this place!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My wife is in the hospital and this is within walking distance. They promptly seated me and it was fairly empty at 5:00. At 5:30 there was a waiting line! They give you chips and salsa while your dinner is being prepared. I had the Tilapia with rice and refried beans. The food had great taste and was piping hot. One of my favourite RD restaurants!

• Visited April 2013