“So So”

Boulevard Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #2 of 343 Restaurants in Red Deer
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Boulevard Restaurant & Lounge features a menu prepared by the award winning, Chef Emmanuel David. Our meals are paired with featured wine selections and decadent desserts that will leave you satisfied. Some of the highlights of Chef Emmanuel's career have included preparing a state dinner for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, opening his own restaurant in west Edmonton, and participating in top-level, international culinary competitions for both Culinary Team Canada and Culinary Team Alberta. Executive Chef Emmanuel David was born in Granada. After his arrival in Canada, he attended college in Montreal, moving west to Regina in 1982. Since then, Chef Emmanuel has steadily gained recognition for his talents, working in kitchens across North America and competing in numerous national and international culinary competitions.
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Its a big restaurant so thats always a bit tough for a chef. The menu is fairly extensive, which can also be hard for a kitchen so I chose pretty standard stuff for my first time eating here. To begin, I had the Shrimp cocktail redux, two kinds of cold steamed shrimp with a few chunks of seriously over cooked lobster thrown on top. This was served with a dollop of seafood sauce and a small endive salad. The salad was quite a good foil for the shrimp which was bland. This was a bit under whelming, a confused mishmash.
My main was a 12 oz prime rib which I ordered rare. The menu stated that it came with horseradish which is my preferreed way of ordering a prime rib. How did I miss the au jus reference? In my experience au just means a small cup of drippings served with the cut. For some reason, out here in Alberta, it means 'served with gravy over top". What the hell is up with that? Also, a yorkshire pudding??? Another regional oddity? It was cold.

The cut was large, 12 oz, and rare as requested. The meat was tender and tasty. Once you got past the gravy that is. The gravy was tasty too, not of a can. I had to request some horseradish and I got a heavily creamed compote, again something that wouldn't rattle a small child. The veggys were good, kind of a succotash with a vegetable based sauce on the side for color, well done. The potato was a layered bake of triangular slices, again, tasty and well done, wish I could remember the name of that dish, think creamless scalloped potatoes. Overall it was good but the au just thing is kind of a homewrecker for me.

For dessert I decided to go wild and order the bacon ice cream. I've never had bacon ice cream, been reading about it for some time, turning it over in my head, thinking that this might be really good so I took the plunge and? I will not let this form my opinion of bacon ice cream which I will definitely try again, eslewhere. This was a pretty good candied praline and chocolate sauce covered ice cream sundaem with a strip of maple glazed bacon on top. NOT what I anticipated. I was thinking thin thin candied bacon, crumbled and mixed in, a bacon ice cream.... which this wasn't. It paid lip service to a cool idea but didn't really execute the idea. A fail.

I might try these guys again, they have the chops and a little bit of experimantal dash so they'll get another chance but overall it barely eked out the 4, let's call it a 3 and 1/2

Jackie W, Manager at Boulevard Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear, Dleeschz

Thank you so much for your review. Good or bad we always appreciate feedback from our guests. I was sorry to read that you didn't have an exceptional experience during your visit to our restaurant. At Boulevard we always try to uphold the highest standards in both food quality and service. We hope you'll give us a second chance to try and turn your opinion around. I passed this review on to our culinary team so we can take appropriate actions and make changes for the future.
Next time you come if your feeling adventurous our personal recommendations are the: Coconut Prawns, the Kobe' Chicken and the Grand Marnier Crème brûlée!!

Thanks again for your comments. We hope to see you soon and turn that 3.5 into a 5/5 :)
Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here many times and I have always had great food! I have had supper a couple times but mostly go for lunch their salads are so good ! Would definitely recommend eating here! And we have always had amazing servers!

1  Thank Jodie P
Jackie W, Manager at Boulevard Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear, Jodie

Thank you so much for your review!! We love to hear good feedback from our guests. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest quality of food and service to our customers. Come by again soon and let us continue to wow you.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

New, fresh decor. Good food and ok service. I was their in late afternoon so not many people were in the restaurant. Salmon was good. Located inside the Holiday Inn & Suites in Gasoline Alley.

Dear, activeblossom

Thank you so much for your review!! The staff at Boulevard Restaurant & Lounge do their very best to uphold the highest of standards for both food quality and service. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the Wild Pacific Salmon. Next time, we recommend you try out some of our dinner entrée's. The Kobe' Chicken is definitely a guest favorite, as is the Linguine with Shrimp and Deep Sea Scallops.
Hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We went for two dinners at Boulevard while staying in red deer. Both meals were above average and very nicely presented. The Muscles for an appetizer were definitely a highlight. We tried a few other places later in the week but nothing came close to the meals at Boulevard!!

Jackie W, Manager at Boulevard Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you so much for your response. We strive to provide amazing quality of food and service. So glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We were guests for several days in the hotel and had occasion to have breakfast there 3 times and lunch twice. The lunches were of adequate to good quality. Two of the breakfasts were good and the last one was very poor. Really - how can you serve two orders of burnt toast with breakfast ? A fast food restaurant can do better than that!! A more mature server would probably have refused to let it out of the kitchen but our server was quite young and gave the impression she would prefer to be elsewhere.
The bad breakfast was served May 27, 2014 - table 27/1 Chk # 139 at 7:25 a.m. if anyone from the restaurant is interested.

Jackie W, Manager at Boulevard Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Thank you for your review. Happy to hear all meals were good minus one mishap. We strive to provide great service and exceptional food. Your issue has been addressed and we keep maintaining good quality food in our future. Hope to see you again.