“Great rooms, great hotel”

Sandman Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Calgary, Canada
“Great rooms, great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sandman Hotel for 3 nights. I was very happy with my stay there! The location is unbeatable for jumping on/off the highway and there's tons of shopping really close by. When I first saw the hotel I was impressed, not run down or dingy looking. The inside was clean and the staff greeted me. When checking in, the front desk made sure everything was in order and to my preference. It looked like it was a busy weekend but they made sure to accommodate me. My room was great, clean and quiet. The hotel amenities were wonderful too. Having the new Moxies attached was ideal. I could have an assured yummy meal and top it off with a Bellini or two and walk up to my room. The pool was refreshing and it was nice to see a hot tub ( it's surprising to see how many don't). The free wi-fi worked well too. Had a nice stay, will recommend to anyone staying in Red Deer!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lethbridge, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

I will start at the beginning. I am not inclined to stay at a Sandman Hotel. That stated this is a new Sandman with Moxies built in.We are a family of 4 so we booked a "king size suite". I made 2 phone calls to ensure that there would in fact be a king size bed. My partner is nearly 7 ft tall, so this is a requirement. I also made 2 phone calls the day of arrival to ensure that either of us could check in and again king size bed and a queen for the kids. Well, you know where this is going don't you? They sent him to three different rooms! First was standard. Second, no king. Third a king with a single bed pull out. By the time the kids and I arrived I was already perturbed. Our bed did not have a matress cover, and the sheets felt very cheap. The pull out was a single I called for more blankets. TV 's were both nice. OK the hallway reeked of smoke both the legal kind and the not so legal kind. It was even hazy. When I asked about it they said " we have a smoking floor". GROSS. It is centrally located as well as the Moxies there is Target and a mall very close ( 5 min walk). The cleaning ladies were nice. WE stayed for 4 days, during which time the coffee in the lobby ran out each day. It was lack lustre. If you're a smoker its a good choice. The pool was tiny and the hot tub was slimy.

Room Tip: There is a SMOKING FLOOR - there are also renovations being done 4 th floor is upper most
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cmorevacays

Travelers are raving about these Red Deer hotels

Fort McMurray, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is the worst place I have stayed at in a long time. I consider this because; our door wouldn't close unless you really pushed on it and locked it (housekeeping didn't even shut our door). No fan in the washroom and when you have to other people in your room with you and we all have showers and really don't want to open the window cause it is -45C out. No plug in the sink, it was sitting on the counter. I reported this on the first morning and was hoping this would have been fixed but nope. When we returned to our room that evening our keys were deactivated cause they can't look in the system to see that I had booked for two nights. When I went to pay when we booked out I was asked how was our stay and I stated that the repairs were not done and we were not comfortable and all I was told was "Oh, well it's on the list". So Sandman No More.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly0927
Fort McMurray, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

When I booked this room, I was told that there was no construction going on and that was a lie. When we got into our room the door wasn't closed proper, I had to lean on it very hard to latch it. There was no fan in the bathroom and trust me I at -40c you really don't want to open a window. I had reported this the front desk and she put it on the Maintenance List, which didn't get looked at. We booked for two nights and they just could not get that. When we returned to our room we had to get new card keys cause they deactivated ours, cause they thought we were there for one night. Nothing was fixed, then we went to the pool and it had so much bleach in it it bleached the clothes we were wearing, meaning my sons green shorts were orange when we got out. I will never stay here again and I tell everyone NOT TO STAY at this dump.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ManagerRedDeer, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Red Deer, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for providing feedback relating to your most recent stay with us. I’m sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than ideal. All of our employees are aware that we are currently upgrading our rooms to better suit our guests needs, I must apologize if this was not effectively communicated to you. We do not have fans in our fourth floor bathrooms, nor do we have the capability to add one - these bathrooms run on a convective ventilation system. I’m sorry that we mistakenly only had you booked for one night, our Guests Services team confirms reservation details at the time of check-in to try and avoid any inconveniences to our guests. As for the pool, I have had no reports from any of our other guest regarding faded swimsuits and we comply with all Alberta Health Services regulations, submitting weekly water samples for their review.

If you wish to discuss any of this further, please contact the hotel directly. We hope you consider the Sandman Hotel next time you’re in Red Deer.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

This place is dirty!! What ever u do don't look behind the bed, nasty!!! Obviously they don't clean very well or better yet never!! And our room smelled like a old dirty ashtray it was non smoking! I honestly feel like we got stuck in the old non renovated part of the hotel because we got compassionate rate for hospital stay.. Only thing good was the front desk people were very nice.. We ended up changing hotels super 8 way better and way cleaner for a couple bucks more so worth it !!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
ManagerRedDeer, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Red Deer, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. I’m extremely disappointed to hear that you didn’t get to share our typical guest experience in regards to cleanliness. I have passed your concerns along to our Executive Housekeeper who will be addressing this with her department. We are proud winners of the AHLA Housekeeping Award and have done so 9 of the last 11 years, including 2012 to 2014. I’m glad that you were able to utilize our Compassionate Rate and can assure you we have an excellent working relationship with the Hospital and treat all of our guests the same, regardless of the rate or reason of stay. I will pass your praise on to our Front Office Manager to share with his Guest Services Team – it’s nice to know that their hard work did not go unnoticed.

Please consider the Sandman Hotel next time you are in Red Deer and I can assure you that we will change your opinion.
Three Hills, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed one night & enjoyed a King suite courtesy of a 3rd party discount offer. Suite was very nice, clean & well equipped. This facility has an attached restaurant eliminating the need to go outside on cold nights. But...you've got to get to the front door first. I was rather dismayed at the condition of the parking lot - snow had not been very well removed which lead to serious ice build up. (The downside of our lovely Alberta chinooks (warm winds) - melting during the day, freezing at night.) It was a little bit of a dance to get to the front door & my weak ankle complained all the way. Aside from that though, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed there last Friday nite for a conference. They did give me the conference rate, although the advance registration was over. However the room was right outside the ice machine, it bumped and made noise all night. The chairs were so dirty I was afraid to sit in them. Lots of plugs, but could use more where I wanted to plug in the computer. NO FREE BREAKFAST! What is up with that. When I went to Moxies next door they said "we don't do that"! Even at the reduced rate one room was $ 125.00. I hate paying for sleeping anyway...but next time I go across the street to Travelodge! Oh and the bathtub is so small I thought it was meant for midgets!

Room Tip: Don't get the one near the ice machine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business