“A pleasant stay.”

Sandman Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is a clean, quiet, reasonably priced small hotel that is connected to a Moxie's restaurant and in the centre of lots of reastaurants and shopping. Very good for families or business. We were there for a romantic get-away, and it was awesome for that too. The pool is small and cold, but the hot tub is large, deep and hot. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Nothing bad to say-but of course it wasn't the Banff Springs.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 15, 2011

The only nice thing I can say about this property is it has a Moxie's in it. The hotel is a tired dump. I felt unclean when I stayed there, which was (thankfully) just one night. The rooms are glum, the staff is slow (perhaps understaffed, but that's not my concern). I sense no pride in property or customer service. Their only advantage is that Red Deer is not a bustling metropolis; hence, not a ton of competition.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2011

It's been a couple of years since I've been here. It hasn't really changed. The room I had was nice. The hallways are are well maintained. The staff, well almost seems preoccupied in thought as they are talking with you. The Sandman looks like Langley's Sandman but it's not. The staff in my opinion shouldn't be outside on their break leaning against the column by the front doors smoking & texting. This hotel is not bad. Maybe it reflex the management.
There is a Moxies on site and a Denny's almost on sight. Sure, I'll be back. Not bad Sandman Red Deer.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We were booked in for two nights for a lacrosse tournament. We had a junior corporate suite. The room was adequate but we had 4 people in the room (not a ridiculous number) and 3 pillows. When we called down to the front desk we were told they were out of pillows. I said but we have four people and three pillows, this is unacceptable. The front desk's response was "that's all we have". Very young, inexperienced night staff that had NO customer service skills. After I wake up tomorrow with a stiff neck due to no pillow, I will be checking out, checking in at a hotel with sufficient numbers of pillows.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We checked in on a Friday afternoon. As there is a huge hockey tournament going on in the area one would have figured that we may have been given a heads up that 9 teams of 10 year olds may be running the halls until quite time but no, we were informed by a sugar high kid in the elevator on our way to the room.

When I reserved the room I specifically asked for a suite, to the point I actually wrote down the booking reference number. When we checked in I gave the number and was in I formed my room was not available and one of equivalent would nit be available due to the number of hockey parents in that weekend.

The first night was surprisingly quiet (Friday). At exactly 11pm the kids disappeared from the hallways and I thought to myself this may not be so bad. Saturday night was 180 degrees opposite; it wasn't the kids running the halls all night, it was the hyena chuckles of drunken parents traveling pack formation from room to room followed by the constant thud of everyone passing through the door with the door look wedged keeping the doors open.

We made it through the night, i called to the front desk on two separate occasions to no avail as I assume i wasnt the only One complaining , or attempting, as the front desk staff did not answer the phone!

I did get through at 9am wondering if we could check out 1 hour later (noon, instead of 11am) and was told no. Again assuming the hung over hockey parents needed that extra hour to recover.

To top everything off no hot water on Sunday morning.

Never again! The Sandman (and all affiliated hotels) will never receive another dine from me!!!

• Stayed: March 2011
ManagerRedDeer, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Dear guest,

I first want to thank you for making us aware of your experience with us. Although negative, it is important for us to know these in order to not only remedy but prevent such situations to happen again.

It is very unfortunate that you foud yourself in the middle of team filled hotel. Kids running down the hall and parents "socializing" are always an area of concern and while not breaking any "laws" they are disruptive to guest such as yourself that had nothing to do with the event.

Our front end employees were repeatedly warning coaches and parents which quiet things down and then again we would go through the process... Luckily, the kids and parents respected the quiet time of 11:00PM.

Again, with groups such as these, everyone wakes up at the same time and showers at the system and has the potential to cause hot water issues. Please rest assured that these are only temporary and that hot water is usually available again with the next 30 minutes or so.

If you wish to further discuss, please feel free to contact me personally.

Reviewed January 27, 2011

Booked and stayed in a King Jr Corp Suite. The room was clean. Not overly spacious and rather average. However, oddly, there was no luggage rack in the room. I guess they expect you to use the coffee table? Front desk was efficient. Suitable for a night's stay. Recommended for clean quiet rooms but nothing outstanding about the property.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Rooms, staff and amenities are all ok. Pool area is really small and needing to be redone completely. Location fit my needs and it's nice to have a Moxie's restaurant attached for meals. About as average a hotel as you can imagine and a little overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business