“One of the best experiences I have had dining!! A+”

Heritage Ranch Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 338 Restaurants in Red Deer
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Voted "The Most Romantic Place to Dine" in Red Deer... we offer a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere at The Westlake Grill. Located on the south bank of the Red Deer River, the Westlake Grill specialty is the Jack Daniels and Rickards infused Ribeye steak, homemade burgers, daily lunch and supper features along with Ranch made bread, soups and desserts. The Westlake Grill also offers specialty dining experiences that include our exclusive Carriage Date Night Package, Kayak River trips, trail ride date packages and more.
Reviewed August 30, 2014

This restaurant can also be found reviewed under Westlake Grille. This entire property with horseback riding, wagon & sleigh rides, etc.is owned by the City Of Red Deer and the Westlake Grille is the restaurant. It would be an excellent stopping off point on your trip between Calgary and Edmonton. Red Deer is halfway between these two points. HR is located on the east side or northbound lanes of highway 2. If you are going south on QE2 exit at the 32nd street exit, cross the bridge and drive a short distance north to this facility which is located by the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame.
I keep hearing from y friends about the incredible food so I have tried to get reservations in the past but I was trying on traditionally busy weekends. I am sure they can accommodate walk ins as well. Sure enough this is Labour Day weekend so I tried early on Friday and I lucked out. My best female friend and I were seated in the upper dining area which is reserved for couples. It is very intimate & romantic and you never felt you were intruding on the other diners conversation. We ordered a bottle of wine from their wine list. Prices tend to be a few dollars more than I would like to see. We ordered the platter for two which had rack of lamb, lobster tails, elk (the sour whiskey cherry sauce topping it was excellent), rice, potatoes, vegetables, roasted garlic heads (incredible!) and a few more items. I would give the presentation 10 out of 10. In fact I would say it was the best I have ever seen. They source all of their foods locally and it does take a bit of time to get your order but it is prepared specifically for you!The serving staff were incredible and not pushy. The manager was always present keeping an eye on us so I felt I was a valued patron. We had a bit left over so we get to relive our excellent meal this evening. The table next to us had an incredibly well presented burger. I thought how will he ever eat it? He told his friend it was the best he ever had so I will try it when we go back again. Will we go? Absolutely!!! To top it off the manager brought my date one incredible rose which made her feel special!!
PS: They have a date night involving a wagon ride, bottle of wine and an incredible meal with extras. My friend Jael, who is now working there, insists I do it with my special lady. We will!

1  Thank awayIgo2travel
Joel M, Owner at Heritage Ranch Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2014

Thank you for that! Nice to be appreciated by such nice people. It truly was a pleasure having you here and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

We enjoyed lunch at the Heritage Ranch Restaurant in early August. Location could be a bit difficult to find, as it is away from the commercial part of Red Deer in a ranch setting. Menu had lots of different and innovative items. Meals were well presented and servings were very ample. I had an Elk burger, which was very tasty! Servers were very friendly and accomodating. We would go again.

1  Thank Don L

Glad to hear from you. I will pass your comments on to the chef!

Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I would rate this 5/5 if it wasn't for the menu experience. The food took a bit longer than expected - but was fresh, good amount, flavourful. Kids menu is kinda small & $8 - with no drink or dessert BUT yummy. My toddler got the chicken fingers & fries (he LOVES fries) but he didn't even touch the fries until the fresh/homemade chicken strips were gone. I tried an elk burger - my 1st but won't be my last with mushroom soup - just great/fresh food! I didn't like the menu - it showed a 11-5 deal but it was wrong it was offered after 5pm and it also showed a bacon deal - server said that wasn't even offered. Worth going again because of the quality of the food.

1  Thank Corimarnell

Thank YOU!
We review our menu regularly and so we will take your comments into consideration on creating the next one... Truly appreciate the feedback... that's how we make things better.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The brunch was delicious. A self serve buffet style lunch. I ate waaaayyy too much but it was all so good. Lobster Mac & Cheese, Eggs Benny, Brisket, fresh crepes, Steamed Veggies, & so much more. The desert was also amazing, can never have enough chocolate covered strawberries! We sat outside on the patio which was surrounded by gorgeous trees. After brunch, we took a walk on some of the trails down by the river and it was a great way to spend the morning.

1  Thank Jyllean N

Thank YOU! We love serving it up and are extremely pleased to hear when it all comes together. Cheers

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The trail ride was great! Food was and always is fabulous. But we offered a bottle of wine with our meal and were peeved to say the least when we found said wine in the store at a fraction of the price. 33$ in restaurant, sold at the local liquor store for 8.99$

3  Thank faye7c

We love serving amazing food and we check our pricing regularly to ensure we remain competitive without having to drop our food quality... It's a difficult balance as I'm sure you can understand.
We will be rolling out a new wine list shortly.