“Holiday Inn a Hit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
High River, Canada
“Holiday Inn a Hit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is gem in Central Alberta. The rooms are nicely appointed, spotlessly clean and provide beds that contribute to a great nights sleep. The pool area and gym offer a place for families to find fun or business people to unwind with a great workout. Dining is made simple with one restuarant and a great menu. Chef Emmanuel David and his team have done an out standing job with the menu selection. This is some of the best food I've had including many fine dining restaurants. People of Red Deer and area...please make this a "must eat at" on your next evening out. Those traveling through stop for a bite to eat even if you can't stay the night.

My one comment would be to have front end people with better communication skills. I understand management is aware of this issue and they are working on improving it.

Room Tip: All floors and rooms a great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Clare J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Red Deer South, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Unicorn, Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had an opportunity to dine in our Boulevard Restaurant. I will pass along your comments to Chef Emmanuel David and the rest of our management team. I hope you will come and stay with us again on your next trip to Red Deer. Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Definitely a beautiful Holiday Inn - the lobby area was large and inviting, and the room was spacious and clean with a very modern feel to it. The bathroom was a good size as well with nice granite countertops. I stayed here as part of regular business travel and found the small business center was well appointed, easily accessible and the wireless internet connection was a good, solid connection throughout the property.

Unfortunately during my stay, the hotel had absolutely no water in the morning until almost 7:45am. I realize that things happen and it isn't the fault of the hotel - when I called at 6am to notify them, the gentlemen at the reception was helpful and offered to find me a different room to shower in (until it was noted that there was no hot water anywhere in the hotel) and he promptly notified the maintenance people who ended up coming in to fix the problem. The issue of course is that my whole day had to be changed to accommodate this over 2 hour delay in the morning. What surprised me most though was that upon check-out that morning, I was not asked the usual "how was your stay" question, nor did the person at the reception apologize for the inconvenience. She simply settled the bill and said 'have a nice day'. I didn't make a deal out of it because I realize some things just happen, but I do think from a service point of view, it's poor form to not ask a guest how the stay was or apologize for a pretty major issue during the stay. As a few other people have already commented, the staff at check-out only consisted of "trainees" and perhaps this is why that happened. I question whether it's good practice to have *only* trainees at the reception.

The hotel overall was certainly very good, but I think there is room for improvement in the service department (which could simply consist of having one or two experienced staff members at the front desk to handle the out-of-the-ordinary events that come up from time to time).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Lovely_Llama, Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room and our amenities. I would like to apologize for the shortage of hot water and the huge inconvenience it caused you. It was a fairly major mechanical failure and was resolved, so thank you for your understanding of that. We definitely fell short on our service recovery and handling the event correctly at checkout. There should have been a manager or senior person present to followup with the guests at check out. We have made some changes to our service levels and staffing at key periods in hopes of resolving this. Thank you for your feedback, we are constantly striving to improve our service and this information if vital. I hope you will come and stay with us again on your next trip to Red Deer. Best regards,
Fort McMurray
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here while traveling to a skating competition. We called ahead to let the desk know we were arriving so Check In was a breeze as they were prepared for us. The room had 2 Queen Size beds, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was big and bright, the one thing missing was a
working fan in the bathroom.

I did eat in their restaurant. The food was average, exactly what I get at other hotel restaurants.
Breakfast was OK....I did get the fruit bowl twice while I was there and had to pick out the blueberries as they were going bad and the pineapple the first day tasted a little like onion. the French toast is nothing that I am use to here in Canada...kind of reminded me of Europe when they use thin bread slices for the French toast.

I do have some negatives...the restaurant doesn't open until 6:30am. We were having to catch the bus at 7:00am. Both times, I had to take my breakfast to go. Also they gave me a card when I checked in, 15% off my meal but only valid Sunday-Thursday and only for lunch and supper, we arrived Thursday at 9:00pm and spent the whole weekend at the arena, for me this coupon wasn't worth it.

...if you are traveling with a group, know the room numbers, I called down to the FD twice to ask for a room number and they couldn't understand me and were saying that those people are not staying at the hotel. They were not getting the spellings right.

...BE CAREFUL in the parking lot. It was extremely icy as there isn't good drainage for water. They were salting it but there lots of places one could easily fall.

They do have a fitness room and a pool/hot tub....never got to try it as I was busy all weekend. May be next time.

All in all, it was a decent hotel

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear FortMcTompkins, Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am glad you enjoyed the facilities and found the guest room comfortable and clean. I am sorry about the exhaust fan, and the inconvenience that may have caused. In regards to the restaurant, we do have some standard hours of operation but we can do our best to cater to groups, we can offer to-go breakfasts if your group has an early competition. Just let us know on your next trip to Red Deer and we will do our best to accomodate. Feel free to contact me directly if I can be of assistance.
I will pass along your comments to the management team in the restaurant as well as the hotel. I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Red Deer. Happy Travels!
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I stay at Holiday Inn properties an average of two times a week. This is by far the nicest Holiday Inn I've ever had the pleasure of staying. The rooms were large, clean, and well decorated. Furniture and electronics were new or looked brand new. I loved the Keureg coffee maker in the room with a nice selection of Tim Horton K-cups. The alarm clock had an iPhone dock so I was able to listen to music and charge my phone. The room was a bit expensive, but it was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at in a long time. I'll try the restaurant on my next visit since the elevator had multiple awards for the chef including a thank you letter from Queen Elizabeth. My only issue was a drainage pipe is between all the parking spaces and the entrance. This created a very large sheet of ice at least 5 meters squared. I didn't fall, but it was close.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Clare J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Red Deer South, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Garymeth, Thank you for taking the time too write this review. I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass along your kind comments to the rest of the management team. I hope you will have time to try our restaurant the Boulevard on your next visit, as I know you will be very pleased with the culinary experience. Sorry for the ice issue, this is being addressed and again I appreciate your input on that. Hope to see you on your next trip to Red Deer, happy travels!
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a very nice new Holiday Inn... well designed and clean throughout. The regular rooms are very large. During the week it was nice an quiet, but on the weekend it turned into a chaotic loud mess, with adults drinking and hanging out in the hallways. I suppose the hotel can't be blamed for that, and my complaints were taken seriously. The restaurant seemed nice, however I only had breakfast (generic HI menu). Staff were professional and friendly. 8/10

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Clare J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Red Deer South, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Bensagle, Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am glad to hear you were pleased with the hotel and accomodation, but very sorry to hear you had a bad experience on the weekend of your stay. We had some sports teams in and things got out of hand. I just want to assure you that we have since implemented some procedures that will resolve that situation. With increased security as well as group conduct agreements. I hope you will come stay with us again on your next trip to Red Deer. All the best!
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Booked a room at the Holiday Inn for one night whilst staying in Red Deer. On arrival we were given the warmest of welcomes from Keerthi the Guest Services Manager. Our room was the best hotel room we have ever stayed in, the bed was extremely comfortable, the restaurant is also very good with the best steaks. ALL staff were very friendly and helpful. If you are thinking of staying here do not hesitate you will not regret it. The hotel and the restaurant offer very good value with the very best of customer service. A big thank you to Keerthi and all the staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Ookie 123, Thank you for taking the time to write this very kind review. I will pass your comments along to Keerthi and his staff. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to your liking and also that you had a chance to dine in the Boulevard Restaurant and enjoyed that as well. We are very proud to offer this wonderful dining experience to our Holiday Inn guests. Happy Travels and hope to see you again on your next trip to Red Deer.
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

I was on a Buisiness trip for three weeks and for a European it was quite cold.
The rooms are very comfortable and the food is very good . Even though I like my stake Well done it was done exactely to my liking. The room service was quick and exteamley polite. This is the best Holiday Inn I have stayed in. Unforunately the Holiday Inns in Europe are not up to 50 % of this standard.
The only room for improvement is the choice of trainee staff, they should not be left on their own.
The Restaurant staff were very helpful and gave help with the choices when needed. One example was that a waitress asked the Bartender for a glass off cherrys as the children on table 10 were realy enjoying them. For me this shows that the staff are very well trained to make people enjoy their stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Peter, Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay with us. I am glad we were able to make your stay in Canada enjoyable. I am sorry you encountered some new staff that were not fully trained, we will use your comments to improve our service and review the training protocol. I hope you will come and stay with us again on your next visit to Red Deer. All the best!