“Agree with cba-kea's review”
Review of Super 8 Red Deer

Super 8 Red Deer
Ranked #27 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I too wondered if I'd be sorry, when I read the reviews, after already booking it. But the room was fine, the bed comfortable, and the breakfast was "super", with omelettes and ham to go with the traditional continental brkfst. Staff was very friendly.
They really need to replace the hallway carpet, - it's so badly stained. And the stained chairs in the lobby give a bad "first impression" when you enter.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArleneM158
manager8561, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you have enjoyed your visit to the Super 8 Red Deer. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and we hope you’ll stay with us at the Super 8 Red Deer again!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I initially thought I had booked the other Super 8 in Red Deer, so when I discovered it was this one and saw the reviews I was a bit nervous. My husband and I stayed at this property for 4 days; we reserved a King Size Suite (room 119). This hotel is old and would require a MAJOR renovation to make a difference. However, if you can overlook the amateurish attempts at repairs throughout the building it wasn't an unpleasant experience. Check in and out went smoothly and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was smallish but clean and the bed was comfortable. Our internet, although slower was reliable and we had plenty of hot water. The complimentary breakfast was a pleasant surprise including things like omelets, ham and waffles. I would have rated this property as Average, especially considering the reasonable room rates, if it hadn't been for the general disrepair.

Room Tip: I would recommend selecting a room that is not adjacent to a parking stall as the diesel work trucks...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your visit to the Super 8 Red Deer. We look forward to welcoming you back to Red Deer and hope you will stay with us at the Super 8 Red Deer.

Tracy Sutherland

Reviewed April 30, 2012

I needed a last minute place to stay the night as I've moved to Red Deer but my apartment isn't ready just yet. I went to Hotwire and chose this hotel based on price. To be fair, I should have paid more attention to the hotel rating and customer review. I saw that it was a two star but then when I saw the "similar hotels such as..." portion, there were names of properties I wouldn't mind staying at. When I found out it was Super 8, I thought nothing of it until I pulled up.

Big mistake.

It is so outdated on the outside, there's your first hint. The lobby entrance isn't even clearly marked. The whole building has a very "old" feel. I almost feel this is the "wrong side of the tracks" kind of place they always talk about in the movies. The suite is very outdated. Old TVs, old furniture. Bathroom is small but that's not a big deal. The toilet has flushing issues, the tub drain won't stay open, bathroom door (where the toilet and shower are) doesn't close. I've been in much nicer, very much nicer 3 1/2 stars for the price I paid here.

My point is, as I was walking to my room, I regret my decision to take a chance. I will not be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Travis K
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

We are sorry that your experience at the Super 8 Red Deer did not meet your expectations. We make it a practice to share all of our guest comments with our staff, management, and ownership team. We appreciate your candidness.

Tracy Sutherland

Reviewed March 23, 2012

Am staying at the hotel right now. Room smells,tv hasn't worked since I got here, heater won't shut off,looks like someone tried to clean up a pool of blood outside my room to no avail and my mini fridge just freezes everything. Worst money my company has ever spent. No smoking in the room? Lmao. This definitely isn't the room they show in the pictures on their website. I will never stay here again and will advise my friends and family to stay away from this hotel or any other super8. Shame on you super8 for even calling this a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012
Super N, Manager at Super 8 Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2016

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. The inconvenience that you had experienced during your stay with us is indeed very disturbing. I have shared this with my department team members concerned and will ensure that this is not repeated. Exceeding Guest expectation has been our constant endeavor. I would like to add that we are constantly upgrading our product to meet with the comfort levels expected by a modern day corporate traveler. Once again I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and take this opportunity to invite you back on your next visit to Red Deer to stay with us and experience the difference. We look forward to your next visit and ensure every time you visit us you will have a better experience.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

I knew we were in trouble when the first people we encountered in the lobby were leaving the hotel declaring to the night clerk that their room was "disgusting". We probably should have taken the not-so-subtle hint. Check-in took half an hour and during the process I was approached by more than one person wired up on some kind of drug. When we did finally get into our room it became apparent that "non-smoking" was a very loosely used term. To complete the picture, the TV didn't work and the hot-water handle for the shower spun around producing no hot water whatsoever. We asked to be moved and my wife an I were separated into two separate rooms. The new "clean" rooms had hair all over the inside of the tub and the paper thin walls allowed my wife the joy of listening to the guests beside them vomit the night away.
The next day brought more adventure. When we returned after being away for the day, my son and I discovered that all of our belongings were missing from our room. It turned out that while we were gone for the day someone had come into our room, despite the "Do Not Disturb" sign I intentionally placed on the door, and packed up all of my clothing, toiletries, and other belongings and moved them to another room, away from my wife, into a terrible smelling room downstairs. Ironically, my wifes bed couldn't even be made because due to there being personal belongings on the bed the policy was to not make the bed. Are you kidding me? They packed up everything I had in my room, without asking, and moved it to another room but they can't make someones bed because there was an item of clothing on top of the bed. Does this make sense to anyone? Aside from frequently having to get my room card re-set so that I could get into my own room, and any walk in the hallways nearly knocking me over from the terrible odors, the rest of the stay at the Super 8 was relatively normal.
Be warned. Stay away.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Jayson00

Reviewed July 8, 2009

First impression was the sign on the front door urging "Crews -- please remove dirty shoes and boots before entering hotel". Then there was the over-powering stench of cigarette smoke around the enterance way which made its way into the lobby.

I had booked a non-smoking room because I am a non-smoker and can't stand the smell. Immediately upon entering our room, it became obvious that it had recently been smoked in. We couldn't stay in that room. We went down to front desk and informed the staff that the room had been smoked in. He insisted that "No -- it says it's non-smoking." He finally did give us another room. It didn't smell like smoke ... it smelled like cleaned-up vomit. We spent the night because we were exhausted, but had to liberally douse the room with the little purse-sized Glade that I carry in my purse.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 1, 2007

There is nothing worse than booking a hotel online and arriving and having that sinking feeling in your gut that you made a mistake. We considered going somewhere else. Please avoid if you can. We stayed here and although the staff was friendly it was a dump. It was dirty and run down. The air conditioner only shut off when you unplugged it. It showed a total lack of care. I had the misfortune of having my ID, drivers liscence and bank card fall out of my jean pocket. When I arrived home I called them and let them know. I told them the specific room number and exact spot where it would be. It took a week and a half. I had already cancelled my bank card and visa. Not worth the money you save.

Stayed: July 2007