“very satisfied customer”

Radisson Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed June 17, 2008

We were visiting relatives in Red deer and my brother In law suggested this hotel. We were very impressed with the decor. The beds were really comfy and the staff were polite and helpful. The person over looking the breakfast room was a bit of a snot and had an attitude but otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone as it is affordable, clean and convienent.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed May 4, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights last week. On arrival the desk staff was friendly and helpful, Our stay went downhill from there.
The room was nice on inspection. When it became dark and lights were needed the wall plugs near our bed appeared to have blown a fuse. The clock that was previously working no longer had powere, nor did the lamp by the bed. Kinda tough to read in bed with no light! We called the front desk and was told that maintenance was gone for the day, but they would put in a request FOR THE NEXT DAY!!!! When I told them it was probably a fuse as things had been working previously, they told me it may well be a fuse ,but maintenance would have to take care of it the next day. After asking the manager to call me, a front desk staff came up to the room and snottily told me the lamp wasn't plugged in, that's why the lamp didn't work. Um, yes, I was trying other lamps and bulbs to see if it was the plug or lamp!! The manager finally agreed to look at the fuses and voila the wall plug worked.
Time for bed...Lumpy pillows...
The next morning the fridge had not kept our things cool over night. A few hours later, everything was frozen in there. *Sigh*
Smitty's was Okay for their chain. Food was fast and decor was okay. We had good, fast room service.
Shallow pool according to the teens. Tough to swim in.
The key cards needed to be reactivated every day. They didn't seem to keep track of who was staying more than one night.
On check out the staff was close to rude...No asking how the stay was, no smile, just took my envelope containing quick checkout. I stood there a good few minutes, waiting for them to tell me that all was good and we were done checking out. They never looked at me again when I asked if they needed more. Just "No, that's all".
I wouldn't stay here again for any discount. I was sorely disappointed.
The final straw came when I went to get in my van and found 2 used hypodermic needles lying on the ground in the parking lot by my vehicle. Blech.....

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2008

I'm a regular business traveler to the larger communities in Alberta. I usually stay at this Holiday Inn in Red Deer because it is consistently good service and the rooms are spacious.

Location is a little out of the way in north Red Deer. This is a hotel ideal only for people with their own vehicle.

Check in is usually efficient and friendly. Rooms are quite spacious and beds are comfortable with lots of pillows. There is usually a small treat of a Kit Kat bar or something similar awaiting you in the room. Internet is free but I've found it to be occasionally slow. I've been upgraded several times for being a Priority Club member. In one instance I was put in the executive jacuzzi room which is bigger than most one bedroom apartments and has a large two person jacuzzi and an en suite with a steam shower.

Room service is from Smitty's, a low rate Canadian version of House of Pancakes. The hotel lounge is the low rate lounge of the Smitty's chain. I'm a spoiled business traveler who will seek out nicer restaurants on the road rather than be subjected to greasy diner food. Go towards Gaetz Ave or downtown for better restaurants.

The hotel offers the perfunctory Holiday Inn breakfast. However, this breakfast is below average. No hot food offerings and in a very cramped room.

The hotel has a few good meeting rooms but is not able to handle larger scale events. Catering is by Smitty's who can manage an average sandwich, soup and salad type of luncheon. I've been to a wedding at the hotel where the food doesn't bear mentioning.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 23, 2008

This past weekend I stayed one night at the Holiday Inn for a wedding reception. The staff were pleasant and seemed ready for anything, but the cleanliness, or lack thereof, surprised me, as the previous occupant's soap, covered in hair, has left in the shower and the tub was coated in soapscum. My relatives, a family of five, requested a bedroom with two beds, but instead got a single bed for the five of them. This problem went unsolved.

I can't say much else about the hotel, as it was only one night, but maybe next time the bathroom will be cleaner.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank anonymous12
Reviewed March 10, 2008

We spent one Saturday night here as we met friends from Edmonton for a night away in Red Deer (I know, I know - it doesn't get much more exciting than this!). Our friends chose the hotel and booked the rooms so I had nothing to do with the process.

I was a little leery as we pulled up to discover it's the Red Arrow Bus depot and appears to face a large trucking company. However the stay was quite lovely. The check in process was easy and our two adjoining rooms were exactly as requested.

The rooms have been recently renovated with very nice modern decor, attractive duvet covers and comfy beds. The bathrooms are quite lovely - dark slate tile, large shower with dual shower heads, marble counter tops etc. My only raised eyebrow is with the very dark (black?) slate tile that covers the floor and the shower walls - while it all appeared to be clean, my inner squeamish voice was a little curious to know if it was actually clean or if the colour palette was chosen for it's hiding properties? However, in fairness, it all seemed quite clean, modern and lovely.

Yes the breakfast is not a gourmet selection but I found it comparable to other hotels that offer a complimentary breakfast. Being a toast and fruit person, myself, I highly appreciate the opportunity to help myself to something small and quick and avoid overpaying and wasting time waiting for the same food in a restaurant.

Overall, this was a highly enjoyable stay. I handily recommend this hotel as a reasonable, modern, comfortable hotel stay. I'm quite fussy and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed April 2, 2007

In Red Deer on business. Great service at check in. Very nice lobby.

The hotel had just finished renovations, and the halls were very very nice, already impressed!

Double queen room, with very modern decor, inclduing a very nice modern stainless steel sink and faucet. The Coffee Crisp and Smarties on the table were a nice touch.

Comfortable beds with nice duvets. Internet access nice. Great service.

Only downside was my view of an industrial roof.

All in all hotel is nice, new, and very modern! Great stay.

• Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank dogmantraveller
Reviewed March 17, 2007

Just got back from our stay in Red Deer ( March 17-18th) had a double room facing the truck lot.

Good Points: Room was Not expensive (99.00 with tax booked early.) Room had nice looking, modern linens with lots of pillows. Every tv channel and LOTS of pay movies. NO MICROWAVE OR MINIFRIDGE! Bathroom was OK found a few stay hairs (yuck) but nothing too bad.

GOOD POINTS: You can walk 2-5 minutes to Starbucks (***GREAT IDEA FOR BREAKFAST YUMMIES!!!**, beer store, cash casino - good burgers for under 6.00, and a grocery store.

OK POINTS: Yes there is a swimming pool - not the biggest, and Only 3 feet deep??? JUST KEPT WARM ENOUGH to get into. I imagine younger kids would find it OK.

THere is a games room just outside the pool with a pool table and foose ball game.

There is a Sports bar with VLTS not seedy - they have beer and mixed drinks no slush drinks. The other bar is closed down.

Room service - SLOW, but they did bring up pie and ice cream under 4.00. (not bad.)

BAD POINTS: HOT TUB - is NOT HOT only WARM with pathetic jets...a real let down!!!

SMITTY"S: Service took an hour for pancakes (most items over 10.00???) Pancakes were like crumbly cake??? Coffee was GROSS - Like tea and tasted bad!!! They ran out of OJ??? Our table and table next to ours complained...manager removed 2.00 for coffee...wow.

NOISE: Lots of families and pets staying in rooms...heard lots of "BANG BANG BANG" of doors and kids running running running down hallways.

FREE BREAKFAST: A SMALL room, very cramped...like the size of a small office??? They had dry looking turn overs and some cereal, toast...too cramped for us!!!

Anyways...the rooms are fine just eat meals elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family