“Missing the small details...”

Radisson Hotel Red Deer
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding in September 2012. The hotel was clearly undergoing some renovations, however these did not impact our stay.

We arrived at 4:15, however our room was not ready yet. We were on a tight timeline to meet our dinner party so this was troublesome. When we were checked in later, we were given a $20 voucher for breakfast the next day for our inconvenience.

When we booked our room online, we paid extra for an included breakfast. I asked the front desk staff how the voucher we were given differed from our included breakfast, she told us that the included breakfast was just a continental and the voucher was for the breakfast. Imagine my surprise to learn that everyone gets the included continental breakfast! Why the heck did we pay extra for it then when we booked online? It sounds as if we should have gotten the restaurant breakfast voucher anyways and that it wasn't really for our inconvenience after all!

The restaurant was good and the service was excellent.

It should also be noted that a $20 breakfast voucher in their restaurant doesn't get you very far for 2 people. Most of the breakfast entrees are $10+. Once you factor in a small $3 orange juice and a $2 coffee and multiply by two, you are well over the value. Might as well just have the included continental!

In the morning we did ask again about this breakfast thing that we paid extra for with our online booking and the front desk staff did provide us with an extra voucher for the restaurant. However once we walked away we noticed it was only dated for one day of our two day stay. *sigh* by this point we were exhausted about fussing over the breakfast thing and decided to just enjoy the continental breakfast the second day (even though we paid extra).

Overall, it looked as though the hotel recently went through some nice renovations. However, we did have concerns.

Parts of the hotel were noticeably hotter than others (almost sauna like). Some rooms we visited were definitely too hot to sleep comfortably in. Our room was a decent temperature.

Outside our door their was a bucket in the hallway and a big squishy section of carpet. Our room smelled damp. Obviously there are some water leak issues. Some hotel guests visited our room from their room and their socks and slippers were soaked from the walk down the hall.

The rooms were spacious and nicely appointed. Our bathroom was large, however the bathtub itself was small. I'm not sure why you would undergo such extensive renovations in a large washroom and not put in a bathtub deep enough for someone to actually have a comfortable bath in.

The wifi was not existent in our room. This was disappointing as the devices we brought did not have a LAN plugin.

You couldn't move in our bed without it squeaking. Although it was comfortable, I don't recommend it if you are a light sleeper. There was also a distinct lack of drawers for unpacking in our room. There were some in the living area, but it is odd to unpack outside the bedroom.

On the Saturday of our stay we returned to our room by 12:30pm to change for the wedding. We were delighted to see that housekeeping had already visited. I was not delighted however to have housekeeping barge in on us twice more that afternoon while we were changing and getting ready. There is no delay between their knock and throwing the door open! Also... Why did they try coming by again... Twice?? That, I will never know.

Overall, we found this to be a hotel that looked nice on the surface, but had some service and detail flaws.

We are headed back to he region in November and we will likely try somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MandaTea
Sandeep G, Manager at Radisson Hotel Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your detailed brief on our hotel and in this way you had given us the oppurtunity to improve on the areas where we fell down.

I am sure that with your feedback we will exceed every guest expectations in future.

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you regarding the bed and also housekeeping knocking at the door twice. I assure you that it had been taken care off.

I look forward to have you with us and if given an oppurtunity we won't fail your expectations this time.

Thank you again!!!

Sandeep Ghosh
Operations Manager

Reviewed August 24, 2012

First off I must state that normally we do not stay at Holiday Inn's we usually would find a Hilton brand because we know and trust them. The one Hilton brand in red deer was booked and could not meet the need of our party.
We booked with Holiday Inn and initially we had a problem with the family room we stayed in. It had a leak by the entrance and the closet and floor was wet. When we initially went in, the smell blew us away.
We definitely spoke to front desk about switching us and to make a long story short they did. We got a great replacement double room for our entire party and it was very comfortable.
My biggest compliment was with the manager on duty and the staff. They were helpful, friendly and really took the time to help and make our stay enjoyable.
We plan to be back in Canada sometime in the year and will definitely make Holiday Inn our choice.

Faye Davis

Room Tip: Love their family room setup
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Sandeep G, Manager at Radisson Hotel Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Dear Mr. Faye Davis,

Thank you for taking some time out and sharing your feedback with us.

It was a pleasure for us to have you with us with your family and my apologies for the initial inconvenience but I am pleased to know that you had a great time with us and also appreciated our staff for there service and friendliness.

We all at the hotel look forward to have you back with us and assure you our best always.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've stayed here a number of times on business and have always found the staff courteous, friendly and helpful. The (included) continental breakfast is a plus when you're running on a schedule. I have seldom had an issue. However, on this recent stay, I felt their attention to maintaining the hotel has taken a turn. And not for the better. Daily cleaning of the public areas and the rooms is not the issue. Rather, it's things like a meeting room that felt like a bad sauna, a non-operational television, no WiFi reception where there should have been, poor lighting in the room(s) and a non-operational light switch, of which hotel management was aware, but failed to correct in the three days I was there. Add to that, worn carpeting and a swimming pool in desperate need of renovation and you have a hotel on a downward slide. It's only the efforts of the front-line staff that keeps this hotel from slipping to two stars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Sandeep G, Manager at Radisson Hotel Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and choosing us as your prefered hotel of choice.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that had caused to you for the maintenance issues you faced in our meeting rooms. I can very well understand you concern and truly appreciate for bringing it to our notice for not getting it fixed and it was our responsibility to ensure that we should had done it on time so that you should not have faced any inconvenience.

I assure you that we won't let our standards down and will act on your feedback and in future ensure that we keep the hotel in the best conditions so that we exceed your and other guest expectations always.

I would like to thank you for appreciating the front desk staffs for their commitment towards guest satisfication and had conveyed your appreciation to them.

I am sure and assure you that when you will be with us next time there won't be any issues during your stay or in the meeting areas and ensure that we give the highest standards of service and product to our guest.

Look forward to see you with us.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I'm a platinum member and am always traveling.
Upon arrival I had the luck and pleasure to meet Carey the supervisor. She was amazing. Went over the limit to make my stay as memorable as possible. For being a platinum member she upgraded me to a Jacuzzi suite which was by far the best room I have ever stayed in.
I would like to thank Carey for being such a sweetheart and so competent at what she does and would also like to congratulate the hotel for its facilities.
Looking forward to coming back and hopefully staying in the same room :)

Raphael Melo

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for putting your review about the hotel.

It was a pleasure to know that you had a great time in our hotel and thank you for appreciating Carey for her customer service. I assure you that we will keep on giving our best for all our guest and ensure that each and every time we exceed their expectations.

I am also sure that with the renovation work on the completion, you will enjoy the hotel more with it's new look.

My self and my team look forward to welcome you back with us.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is one of the great "New" Holiday Inns. The rooms were nice and the restaurant was really a big surprise. Try it!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Sandeep G, Manager at Radisson Hotel Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for putting your comments on Trip Advisor and it is really a pleasure for our team to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and as a team we assure you that we will keep the standards high and ensure we exceed our guest expectations always.

We all look forward to have you with us again.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

A convenient location, but the hotel itself consistently disappointed during my 2 week stay. While the staff were friendly, there was frustratingly little actual help in resolving the constant issues. I started off in a room with no AC (it's summer) and didn't get an offer to move to another room until their maintenance guy came up and confirmed it was broken. They then tried to move me to a smoking room, which I said no to and eventually (after replacing and moving all of my own stuff) received another room with working AC (no upgrade). The main hotel and the banquet room we had booked for several weeks had no working AC for the weeks we were there. It was like being inside a greenhouse every day in a suit. They eventually gave us fans, but it was brutal. They lost one of my suits through their dry cleaning service, which was eventually found after I complained daily. I eventually gave up asking them to restock my room with dry cleaning forms and bags after asking daily and explaining to them their staff was not replacing them in my room. The hotel had terrible smells as well as having a general run down look. I particularly liked my view of the gravel roof and AC units, at least they were quiet as they were apparently not working. I would never willingly stay here again. I would have left the first day, but was forced to stay as I was attending an event at the hotel. Stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Hudson F

Dear Hudson F,

It was really didheartening for the whole team to know that we have not met your expectations and you have to go through these inconvenience. Please accept mine and my teams sincere apologies.
I would like to thank you for bringing this issues to our knowledge and helping us to resolve these issues and to ensure that in future we keep our brand promise to exceed guest expectations.
The AC problem had been resolved and it's working fine now and had also breifed my housekeeping and front desk staff to ensure that guest requirements are the priority for us. I assure you that in future you will never have this complaint again from us.
I sincerely wish that you choose to stay with us again and give my team one more chance and I am sure that we will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Always nice and clean, with friendly and knowledgeable staff - especially Cagne. By far, one of the nicest Holiday Inns I've stayed at. The rooms, as well as the hotel amenities like the salt water pool, make it a priority for me to stay at this hotel when I'm in town.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with the Executive Suites
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CTR R

Dear Guest,

It gives my team and myself immense pleasure when our guest enjoys there stay with us and it is our teams top priority to strive to give our best to all the guest.

Thank you for taking some out and putting your comments on Trip Advisor.

Assure you our best always and look forward to see you with us soon.