“Ups and Downs”

Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Ups and Downs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Front desk staff is awesome, , at first our rooms where not satisfactory but made sure our rooms where up graded . My only complaint was the restaurant service is something to be desired .

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor over looking the pool, great rooms, specially if you are staying with fa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Sask-farm-gal,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your last visit with us at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I will let the Front Desk team know they made your experience better by listening and changing your room to one that better suited your needs. I would like to hear more in regards to the service concerns voiced for the Restaurant to allow us the opportunity to implement improvement in process. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to the City of Red Deer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This past weekend our fencing team stayed here. The rooms were nice and clean. The noise level through the entire evening was out of control. There were teenage girls running through the hallways causing more than one person to request a move at 2 AM after the staff dismissed these issues. Maintenance was being done at 4AM which echoed through the entire atrium to more than one room. Our morning was greeted with one of the saddest breakfast buffets I have ever seen in my life.....which included ants (obviously trained winter survival ants!) crawling along the railing where we were seated in the atrium.

Dont let them fool you.....there really is no lounge here. A couple of TV planted in part of the open restaurent...your server will dissapear to the back to god know where to pour a drink then bring it out to you.

Not impressed. I would really resonsider this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CHRISTOPHER V,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I do apologize our other guests disrupted your visit with their noise levels in the early morning hours. The Hotel has received several positive comments in regards to the new hot breakfast buffet. I would be interested in hearing more details on your experience. The lounge area of the Hotel is connected to the Restaurant and is a more open service area. We have received mixed reviews of the space as it is nice for some but not for everyone. May your next visit to the City of Red Deer be more enjoyable and relaxing.

Travelers are raving about these Red Deer hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Great and friendly hospility. You will not find a better hotel in Red Deer. The staff at the reception and restaurant made us feel at home. First time making my waffles at the breakfast buffet! I enjoyed the lodge style because you feel as if you had plenty of space and not crowded like a modern hotel. The hotel has all the amneties for a short stay: games, fitness, pool, restaurant, salon etc. I stringly reccomend and would defenitly make this hotel part of my next stay in Red Deer

• Stayed March 2013
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
alainparenti,

Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your recent visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our Hot breakfast buffet. We have had several guests compliment us on our selection. I will pass on your compliments to the serving team as they love to know when they have created memories for our guests. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Red Deer.
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This property, together with a few others in the province were once all "Courtyard Inns". Very nice properties with an iconic courtyard in the center of the property. I even worked at the Lethbridge location back in the day. It seems however, that after changes in ownership, things haven't kept up.

The guest rooms are clean but old and needing renovation as they certainly don't match the contemporary look of the hallways. They do however have very good wifi.

The meeting rooms however are nice with great service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
idarknight,

I want to thank you for your comments concerning your latest visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. The team does take pride in keeping our building clean and in proper working order. I was with the Hotel during the Courtyard Inns time and I think the Hotel is a gem as well. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the City of Red Deer.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel is lovely when you first walk in. It's dated but it's been well maintained and updated. One thing that you notice shortly after arriving is the pool in the centre of things, with rooms surrounding it for three floors. This creates a pleasant ambiance, but unless you're travelling with children it's not ideal.
Due to a family event, several of us stayed at this hotel as it was close to our event. The rooms were nice, the beds are soft and there has been a genuine effort made to make the rooms nice. However, because of the pool, one thing these rooms are not is quiet.
When we booked, we specifically asked to have quiet rooms. We were assured that because we were on the third floor, it would be. It was not. At all.
Bear in mind that a lot of sports teams utilize this hotel, and with that comes a lot of young people running around the pool area. That's fine, but the pool stays open until 10 and opens at 8. If you have any intention of sleeping in or turning in early, you may as well forget it. And it's not just a little bit of noise. It is a LOT of noise, and it was no better in any of the other rooms in our group. There was also a hotel party occurring in the same hallway as I was in so we were treated to drunk belligerence all night long. I realize this is not the hotels fault. People do these things. But the walls/doors don't provide much of a sound barrier. Considering we requested quiet, I'm not sure why they didn't put us in the tower. Surely they are aware of the noise that comes from the pool?
Additionally, when you check in you are given breakfast vouchers, but make sure you read the fine print as they're only valid from 7-9 am. That may be fine for the early risers (or those awoken by kids in the pool) but if you're trying to have any sort of weekend getaway, it's not ideal. It's like a false nicety. They give it to you, but don't really expect many people to use it because of the time stipulations.
I think that considering the price of this hotel and the issues we experienced, we may as well have stayed at a less expensive hotel. I don't see any of us staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Erinen,

Thank you for your comments regarding your latest visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. Our team does take pride in taking care of the building and I appreciate your observations in that regard. It is true the pool is centrally located in the Courtyard and we do have guests that absolutely love to watch their children from their rooms and we have guests that are not as excited with its location. From your message, I believe you may have had a room that overlooked the pool area that will have the sound carry. We do have rooms that have an outside view that have been reported by guests to have less noise associated to the pool area. The hot breakfast is a new program that we started this year for our guests and we have received many great comments since it began. I do apologize that our time the breakfast is offered did not meet your expectations during your visit. We appreciate your business and would love the opportunity to serve you again.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

My sons (ages 4&5) and I just enjoyed an overnight stay at the Lodge. the whole experience was awesome. it started with quick/informative email help from Alysha (guest services supervisor) in answering my questions on gluten-free food and planning which room would be best for my young sons.

All the staff was cheerful and courteous, from check-in, housekeeping, restaurant... everyone! Comfy, clean room and was a great 'family' layout: kids had their own bedroom with their own TV. My kids loved the "jungle" (courtyard) and pool. I thought it might be a little noisy looking onto the courtyard, but was pleasently surprised just how quiet it was at night and how great we slept.

And we all enjoyed a full-out COMPLIMENTARY breakfast. not just a piece of toast or muffin. we enjoyed eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and fruit. we didn't even get to the oatmeal, waffles or danish!

all in all a wonderful time for a quick "holiday" with my boys. they're already wanting to go back. will say the hotel could use a little updating as it has been around awhile. not sure when they opened but I know I was there when I was 10 years old with my parents and had a great time. Thirty years later, I can say i had another great family experience there with my own kids.

thanks RD Lodge. we'll be back. :)

Room Tip: if you have any questions/concerns in planning your stay, ask ahead. i'm sure the staff will he...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
mike999_13,

I want to thank you for sharing your latest experience at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. It is great to hear that your children had the same fun that you enjoyed as a child when you came with your parents. I will share your compliments with Alysha and the rest of the team. The breakfast program was introduced just at the end of December 2012 and it has the variety that we know our guests will enjoy as they begin their day. We look forward to serving you again very soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I recently stayed at Red Deer lodge and was quite impressed with their holiday rate which included a free hot breakfast. Great price with that included.

I had a room overlooking the courtyard/pool area. I wouldn't recommend these rooms as it is quite loud in the rooms due to the pool users. Overall the room was clean and had good ammeneties and the beds were comfortable. The Tube TVs were quite dated. Overall the receptionists were friendly on check in and checking out.

Location is great and close to downtown and everything you need. Internet access in hotel was very reliable as well.

Overall I had a good stay, value was great for what you pay. I would recommend a room not overlooking the pool though.

• Stayed December 2012
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
dc1385,

I want to thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. We have just began the free breakfast program for all our guests and I am glad that you enjoyed what we have to offer. The rooms that look over our Courtyard and pool can be noisy if we have several children enjoying themselves in the pool. We do have rooms in the Courtyard that do have an exterior view that would be quieter for your next stay. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to the Red Deer area.