“Extremely poor service”

Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed there with our daughter's soccer team and had a mix up with communication in regards to getting a late check out time. When I confronted the staff at the front desk they were very rude. Sent a follow up email to director of rooms and another supervisor and have not received any kind of response from them. Clearly they don't care about the fact that our whole team has rebooked for another weekend in August. Actually at one point the front desk clerk told me to go ahead and rebook some where else. Not to mention we have stayed there every year for the last 3 years. I will be highly recommendIng that our team rethink our accommodations in August.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Soccermom106,

Thank you for your comments on your latest experience at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I apologize for the miscommunication between our team and your team regarding late check out arrangements. I have been in conversation with our Director of Rooms regarding the Agent that you spoke with and we are using the situation as a learning opportunity for the team at their next meeting. In regards to the response time, there was a technical issue with our Director of Rooms out of office alert that did not send an auto response to you. We are investigating with our IT team so that it does not occur again. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in August.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and two year old son stayed at this hotel from July 17-20, 2012. During the first night it was obvious that the air conditioner was not working and we made a complaint to the front desk. We were told that someone looked at it. However during the second night, which was even hotter than the first (avg. temperature was 27 degrees Celsius I believe) we were forced to open the window which faces a very busy downtown street thus making it impossible to sleep. We again made a complaint and a technician was sent to look into the problem. While the air conditioner did work better than the previous two nights it still did not properly cool the room to our satisfaction thus making our three night stay very uncomfortable.

The room that we stayed in did not have any dressers or closet to hang up clothing which was slightly annoying,

We ordered room service twice. During both times it took excessively long periods of time for the dirty dishes to be collected. After the second meal I estimate that the dirty dishes were sitting in the hallway for approximatley 20-24 hours even though I saw members of the staff walk by our room at least twice without bothering to collect the dishes while the dishes. There were several other rooms that had dirty dishes in the hallway adding the the obvious sanitation issues.

The interior and exterior were generally run down and this hotel is in need of rennovations. Buttons in the elevators are faded to the point that you cannot tell what number is displayed, the parking lot pavement is coming apart, and the walls have many dents and scratches making this hotel look old and run down.

This is not a place I could recommend people to stay at.

Room Tip: Don't pick any room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank James543
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

James543,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I do apologize that we were unable to bring the room temperature to a level acceptable to you and your family to obtain a restful and comfortable sleep. I am not familiar with the specific style of room you occupied but the Red Deer Lodge Hotel does have a closet in each of its guest rooms. I have shared the comments regarding the in-room dining trays in the halls with our Botanica Management team as ongoing training opportunities with the service team and the importance of following our in-room dining standards.
I hope your future travels include a return to the great City of Red Deer.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed here for work for about 5 days. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean. The pool and hot tub are nice. There is a restaurant, although I didn't eat there. Lots of places within walking distance including a grocery store, restaurants and gas stations. Overall a very pleasant stay because of the excellent friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Reid D,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. It is a pleasure to work with my team everyday as we strive to make every guest experience an inviting and enjoyable one. I will share your comments with the team of the Hotel and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

This old hotel really needs some renovating. I understand that some of the rooms have been redone but not the ones in the tower.

The room was clean enough but just looked outdated. The bathtub had cigarette burns on it and the shower stall is cracking with age.

The carpet in my room was tired looking & appeared to be very dirty even though it probably was clean.

No amount of nice sheets & towels is going to make up for an old outdated looking room.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hoteamom
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Hoteamom,
Thank you for your comments concerning your latest visit to the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. We do strive to ensure the rooms are clean and the beds comfortable for our guests. We do have rooms in our Courtyard area of the Hotel that were renovated in 2009 that you may find more enjoyable on your next visit to the city of Red Deer.
If you would like to discuss your visit in more detail, please contact me directly.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Clean and comfortable bed, pillows and sheets.
Clean bathroom and towels.
Good air conditioning.
Friendly staff.
Free WiFi.
Old and aged interior, furniture, TV, carpet,etc.
Really old and sort of smelly closet. I didn't feel hanging my shirts inside!
This Hotel needs a real makeover!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Backtowork
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Backtowork,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I am always proud of the team when we have guests who mention how friendly and helpful our service specialists are. I will share the comments on the Hotel cleanliness with our Associates to let them know their hard work is noticed and appreciated by our Guests. We hope you enjoy your next visit to Red Deer and area.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Spent a couple of nights here while attending meetings in one of their conference rooms. At $150 per night, the hotel is sure to be challenged in competing against the others in the area. The hotel is older and needs updating. We ate in the lounge and the service was truly poor. Had to request service, then utensils (which were wet),  then a napkin and then had to track down the server for my bill. On the plus side, rooms are clean with decent wifi and comfy beds, lots of parking and the location is ideal.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for their updated rooms when booking. The tv's are still the tube style however.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

RoadTripper2274,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Red Deer Lodge Hotel. I am glad to hear the room was comfortable and clean during your visit. I apologize for the Botanica service experience that you encountered and I have shared your review with our Food & Beverage team leaders. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss further. We look forward to having you visit the City of Red Deer again.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

If you have to stay overnight in Red Deer your options are limited, but the Red Deer Lodge is certainly worth a try. Good, central location, nice sized rooms, good price, helpful and friendly staff — and the fastest WiFi I've seen yet in a hotel (and free — unlike some larger hotels I could mention). Downsides are some of the decor is looking dated and the whole restaurant-by-the-pool thing is looking quite tired and 1980s.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Kevin R, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

AndyGBLondon,
Thank you for choosing the Red Deer Lodge while travelling through Central Alberta. I appreciate your comments on the level of friendly helpful service you received while staying with us . I will share your comments with our team and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.