“Never Again” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Western Budget Reddeer #1

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Red Deer
Western Budget Reddeer #1
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Calgary, AB
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had stayed here in the past without incident - I guess our luck ran out.
When we checked in the room had a bit of an odor to it, seemed like something sprayed to try and cover cigarette smoke. After I took a nap I realized that there was blood on the sheets. Seriously! I double checked that it wasn't a cut on my leg or something and it wasn't. I immediately went to the front desk and complained. Before housekeeping arrived I noticed a dirty washcloth hanging in the shower and complained about that as well. I was so grossed out but hubby convinced me to stay since it was only one night and we watched them change all of the linens.
The next morning we grabbed breakfast before heading back to pack up and check out. We were drinking coffee chatting and all of a sudden our door opens and it's housekeeping (I assume) and they want to take all of the towels and linens. WHAT THE HECK???? Hubby told them we were checking out soon and to come back later. I have never, EVER, had someone barge in like that to essentially start cleaning the room, especially so close to checkout time (that was the one time we didn't have the dead bolt locked. Lesson learned).
The entire stay was a disaster and we will never, ever stay there or any Western Budget again. And no discount was given at checkout either (not that we expected it but it would have been a nice gesture to try and salvage some of the stay).

If you do decide to stay here check the room for cleanliness before you get settled in and ALWAYS keep the deadbolt locked on your door.

Just a final FYI, the access doors from the parking lot to the building don't have any locks on them so there is essentially no security in the building.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
21 Thank Suebee07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Fort Mcmurray
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We found the rooms adequate (wife didn't like the decor much). Contains a full-size fridge, gas fireplace. Very economical as there is also a pool and a continental breakfast. The downside is the lack of security (had a neighbour pounding on a door for 15 minutes and yelling), thin walls and ceiling. The chandelier made noises every time someone walked above us in the room above.

Room Tip: Close to Cosco and Gasoline Alley stores and restaurants
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
15 Thank beachbumAlberta
grande prairie
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

door did not close properly, deadbolt could not be used , staff was mediocre about everything odour to room toilet quit working during the night s, shower head was filthy I guess that,s why it's called a budget hotel . will never stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
12 Thank john b

Travelers are raving about these Red Deer hotels

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I've stayed at both Western Budget Hotels in Red Deer on several occasions. I've yet to have a bad stay. The front desk staff have always been very helpful and the properties have always been nice and clean. The rooms are huge and the jacuzzi tub is really nice. The rooms also have a fireplace,fridge and microwave. The bathroom is quite small but not a huge deal. The pool is tiny but we only used it once. It would be nice if they added some flat screen tv's, but maybe that will happen in time. I would recommend this hotel as I was amazed at the rooms the first time for a motel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank EdmontontoVegas
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

I had the unfortunate pleasure of staying at this hotel for two nights (01/11/2012 - 01/12/2012) while out of town for work. I had quite the suprise on the 12th. After finishing a 12 hour day at work, while inquiring about checking out early AM the next day, the girl at the front desk informed me that they had moved my belongings to another room, due to some type of leak. When I got to my room, I discovered that one pack of cigarettes from my newly opened carton was missing, as well as my $70 pocket knife. When I confronted the staff they denied any wrong doing and they're reason for moving me changed a couple times. I searched all of my belongings several times, and even searched the room I was moved from several times. If the staff take it upon themselves to move my stuff, then they should make absolutely sure everything gets moved and nothing is missing, right? Shouldnt be touching my belongings to begin with. I have 60 days in which I can legally press charges and havent reached a decision yet, however, you might find the RCMP coming by with some paperwork in the near future.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
17 Thank J E
Coronation, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I decided to try this place for a quick over night stay in Red Deer. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was big and had a kitchenette. While a little dated in decor the room was very clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay there again. We've stayed at higher priced places and gotten alot worse rooms and service.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean2259
Airdrie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Upon arrival the premise of this lodging looked promising. The rooms themselves include stove/oven and full size fridge. The fireplace heater was a great touch.
The premise of suites is a good one.
There is no microwave and the TV is an old flat screen. They were in the midst of modernizing and at times the paint smell was overwhelming - wet paint signs were everywhere. The pool had broken down that morning and it looked like few attempts, none evident, were made to repair it for our two night stay. No attempt to compensate was even entertained.

Room Tip: floors on the second level are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family