“Bugs!!!!”

Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer
Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Red Deer
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our first family trip was ruin by this hotel! Our first night in a hotel and it was terrible. The room was supposed to be non smoking yet there was an awful smell of smoke and burn holes in the rugs. The walls had holes where the electrical outlets were to be and wires exposed. The one outlet that appeared ok didn't even work. It was dirty! There was dust and dirt all around bottoms of furniture. Andddd the beds appeared to not be washed. There was black dog hair all through the bedding. If that wasn't bad enough when I woke after 30 minutes of sleep to find bugs in the bed the man at the front desk only said "ummm" on the phone before I hung up, packed a 1 year old, a 3 year old and all of our belongings up at 1:30 am and Went to the front desk. I asked a bunch of questions about the rooms and the cleanliness and all he could say was "umm" again. No apology or response. He did give me my money back or I hope so at least, but where was the courteosy those at front desk are supposed to show you??? It was awful. We drove next door to another hotel. And here I sit at 3:30am writing about this event because I hope no one else has to go through that.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Aaik
hojoreddeer, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

First of all I would like to offer my sincere apology to you for the experience that you had with your stay. It saddens me when I hear that a guest has a negative experience because we put in so much energy to ensure that the whole hotel operation from front desk, to housekeeping, to laundry, to maintenance, to landscaping, to safety, to security, to ensuring fresh breakfast items, to ensuring consistent internet access etc. runs as efficiently as possible, and when one out of the 76 rooms falls through the cracks it is very disheartening. I would like to address some of the issues that you have mentioned, and please note that I am not making excuses for what you have experienced but I just want to shed some light on the issues so that you may understand how those issues may have arose. First the response from the front desk staff. The staff who was on duty that night is a very caring individual, but is inexperienced and is also very timid and slow and was caught off guard in this situation, and was not quick enough in offering an apology. I can assure you that we would do anything to ensure that your concerns were met, and had it been another staff you would certainly have received the courtesy you deserve. As far the bugs are concerned, we do a have pest control company that has a preventative program in place for the last 10 years and comes in once a month to implement pest control measures. I can assure you that we take all complaints about bugs very seriously and upon receiving your complaint, I personally got involved in ensuring that that room and all adjacent rooms got a deep cleaning including a thorough heat and steam treatment. In the summer we sometimes get flies, ladybugs, and other small beetles flying into the rooms as we are an outside access property. We have procedures in place to help reduce this problem, but is very difficult to eliminate completely, as they can fly in while a guest is entering the room. As for the exposed wires, I checked it and found that the wires are telephone wires, which are spare wires and are not connected and the cover plate was broken off. I can assure you that no live voltage wires are exposed. Again on behalf of all my staff I want to offer you a sincere apology.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Small hotel at the south end of Red Deer. Older but appears to have been renovated as everything was in good condition. Room was very clean and even though they were close to being full, it was very quiet. Only about a 5 minute walk or 2 minute drive to the Westerner Centre which was hosting a car show with about a thousand cars. Breakfast was very basic, toast, muffins, bagels etc but they were extremely fresh. Very reasonable too!! Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your response. I am very happy to hear about your positive experience. We strive to provide the best in terms of value - nice rooms, great service, free internet, free local calls, free breakfast - all at a reasonable rate. We hope to see you again at the next car show or whenever you require accommodation in Red Deer. Thank you once again.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Excellent place to stay. Everyone was so friendly to me.

I was especially impressed with the lady at the front desk, Kashia! She went out of her way to make sure that every aspect of my stay went as smoothly as possible. As far as I'm concerned, she exemplifies customer service!

Thanks, Kashia, I'll be back! :-D

Jennifer

Room Tip: There was a little bit of a mix-up in my booking. I had been booked online for a week in May in a n...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
hojoreddeer, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. I am very glad that you had a happy experience. We try to ensure that all our guest have the same positive experience that you had. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

This hotel was a great find. I booked it online and was impressed with the quality of service and accommodation for my 2 night stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It was also at one of the best prices I could find. The breakfast was also included in the price and was delicious. I would definitely book my stay here again when I return to Red Deer.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
hojoreddeer, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Red Deer, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We strive to provide the best VALUE in Red Deer. We have one of the most reasonable prices for accommodation in Red Deer. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Red Deer.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

The rooms are ok. The staff was very very helpful and accommodating. Good location just off the main highway. Great for a stopover through Red Deer.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your comments. We have excellent staff and our philosophy is to provide the best customer service that we can, and I am extremely happy to see that you experienced that service. Again I would like to thank you for your feedback and we hope to serve you again on your next visit to Red Deer.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Asked for a quiet room,OK,it was quiet.That's where the positive points end.

It was dark,dank,smelled like the old Cecil Hotel.We turned on the lights to have a look around,and what a sight.A step back in time.

The biggest mistake i made was looking behind the bed where the headboard should be.Wow,looked like an elementary school biology experiment.There's stuff growing there from the seventees.

I can stay nearly anywhere,nutin' fancy.Needs to be clean and this place is not that.I've been to India,SE Asia,N and S America and many other places,this is way up on the list of the worst.My hotel in Calcutta was much cleaner.

Won't be back,and i wouldn't stay there if i were you,plenty of others to choose from.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.Like next door.
Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul D

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I have tried to figure out which room you stayed in so that I can have a look for myself and to fix any issues, but as of yet I could not figure out what specific room you had. I have however asked my staff to inspect all rooms to ensure that they meet our standards. We take pride in our property and unfortunately in your case a room may have slipped through our inspection process. I had only hoped that If you had called the front desk and informed us while you were there we would have done everything possible to switch you to another room and may have been able to provide you with a positive experience. Again my sincere apologies on your unfortunate experience. I do hope that you try us again, and if you would like to do that then please contact me directly so that I can personally ensure that you have a happy experience. Thank you, Al Samji

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Great place to stay. Very clean rooms and the front desk staff are absolutely wonderful. I have stayed many times over the past 5 months and they always make it feel as much like coming home at the end of the day as possible. Thanks Brett and Ivy and everyone else at Red Deer Hojos.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business