“Awesome atmosphere and food”

Local Public Eatery
Ranked #3 of 201 Restaurants in Medicine Hat
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Kind Of Like Your Living Room, Just With Better Food And People To Serve You Beer. …fanatical About Craft Beer And Rotating New Selections Every Day
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is the hottest place in Medicine Hat for all age groups. Great service complimented by great food.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I try to frequent the smaller, specialty restaurants downtown. I had thought this was a "local" place until I just read another review to discover it's part of a very small chain. Went for lunch with some friends and we all enjoyed the experience with a promise to return again. I had the soup of the day (cream of mushroom) and a side caesar salad. Other meals at the table were the Tijuana Chicken Caesar Salad, Crispy Chicken Sandwich, and the West Coast Chopped Salad. We started off with the Yam Fries which are excellent. The truffle lemon mayo is a nice surprise for a dip for the fries.

My soup arrived hot and clearly is homemade not the awful, thick out of the can stuff. The side caesar salad is served in a coffee mug so it's a bit small but on the flip side it was very tasty and honestly it was enough for my lunch. The Crispy Chicken Sandwich is HUGE and my friend couldn't finish it off but she did say that it was excellent and she'd have it again. The others at the table had salads which were plentiful and tasty. An order of guacamole was ordered and it's made fresh right at the table - YUM!

Overall our experience was good. Service is what service is in Medicine Hat -- just ok -- but I'm used to that. I would recommend this restaurant to friends and will be back.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

- One of my coleagues could not get crackers with his soup. He was asked if he wanted some bread instead. For extra dollars of course.

-We had to wave the server down to get coffee refills.

-The other person had been there before, and ordered an extra side because he said the serving sizes are very small.

-I too had been there before and found the serving size very small. So this time I ordered a more expensive lunch thinking I may get a more sizable portion. It did not happen. I ordered the salmon, which was about a 2 1/2 oz. serving, with about 3/4 cup salad next to it. That was it!!!

Just a little FYI. We are not big people, that need large portions of food to fill us up. This restaurant is very overpriced for what comes on your plate. I most likely will not go back unless I need an overpriced mid-afternoon or bedtime snack.

1  Thank Val W
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Local has it all - great choices of food (and nice portions), fantastic service from great looking smiling servers, and the best choice of beers in the city. Good vibe later in the night, usually with good music playing.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I wanted to like this place. Promising reviews beforehand, and a welcoming atmosphere upon my arrival set the stage. However, a tasty, yet cold bowl of soup soured a promising start. Next, my steak sandwich arrived medium-well rather than well done. However, the service was friendly and prompt, and the staff did try to make things right, so I'll definitely give them another try. By the way, on the second go around, the steak was delicious.