“Staff was nice”

Travelodge Hotel Medicine Hat
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We just needed a place to lay our heads for the night and we weren't expecting much (as I had read other reviews). The lobby was nicely decorated and the staff was very friendly. The room we had faced the parking lot in the first floor which was nice and convenient to drag our bags in. At first we thought, 'this isn't so bad' a bit cold and dated but we cranked up the heat and went to grab dinner at a local pizzeria to bring back. By this time it's closer to 10:30 pm and our room still has a chill. We didn't bother calling to switch rooms as it was late and I thought maybe the heat just took time. Nope all night I was freezing. I noticed when I woke up that the door that takes us outside was not sealed and you could see light all around it (that's clearly why it was so cold). The windows were old and were likely another culprit. The bathroom was dated, which we generally don't care if it's clean, but the faucet was ancient and rusty. The hotel is apparently under construction, so I can understand issues here and there but so many issues (close the door and the whole place shakes, construction dust on the counter, mildew in the bathroom, there was no toilet paper holder!!!). This hotel appears to have potential and I hope that they can get it right. The pros are they have a pool, breakfast, flat screen tv and friendly staff.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Marsha09786, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Medicine Hat, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for your comments on your stay with us, we are doing renavations in the hotel
and yes I do have the best staff. I hope that you can come back and stay with us.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay! The hotel is out dated but clean and comfortable. The beds were great, very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. It's right off the highway and easy to get to. Value for the price! Plan on staying here again!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Lacey R
Marsha09786, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Medicine Hat, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for comments on the hotel .I like to hear your stay was good .please come back and stay with us again

Reviewed January 28, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 21, 2014

The room itself was great for our purpose. The pool and slide were good but lacking in towels. GOOD

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen F

Thanks for the comments about your stay with us , We are alwas looking to improve our hotel so with each and every comment it helps. We are doing some Renos @ this time please come and stay with us again

Reviewed January 21, 2014

There are always so many bad reviews when it comes to hotels. The littlest thing seems to make an entire experience bad for some people. Things happen and I would like to add my 2 cents to the review page for the Travelodge. The girls at the front desk are incredibly helpful. Helen is always easy to talk to and is willing to find an answer for your questions.
The maintenance man is on top of things, when he is told about them. A lot of guests check in and out of hotels without telling the front desk about small maintenance issues. They aren't mind readers folks, you should let them know, even if it didn't matter so much to you, it will matter to the next guest.
They appear to have been doing renovations for a while? Have you seen how many wings and different sections this hotel has? Of course it's going to take a while. And they are doing it right when they get it done. I've stayed in an older room and a more renovated room. I was comfortable in both. Some of the rooms are huge and they just installed brand new granite sinks, which are beautiful. This hotel seems old, so it's going to need a lot of TLC, but the people who work here seem to believe in it.
The pool seems to be a hit for the kids and sometimes it's noisy due to teams. That isn't the front desk fault. It isn't their kids. If you're looking for a good rate and want to be close to the highway, this is a great hotel for you. Give it a chance, appreciate the small things, because good customer service is not always what you will get a 4 star hotel, but you will get it here.

Room Tip: I've noticed that there is a room where the windows look inside the pool area. You may want to m...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank dlburt08

Thank you for your commnets, we are in the mist of renavations for all the rooms @ this time.
please come back and visit us again

Marsha perchaluk

Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

For the price that they charge for this hotel I have stayed at much better...the first thing I noticed was a large roll in the carpet all the way along the room...so severe you could have actually tripped on it...I was afraid to sit on the hideabed for fear I wouldn't be able to get back out so I ended up sitting on the uncomfortable kitchen chairs. The dresser microwave and fridge looked as though they had been tossed into the room as an after thought...the handles on the dresser were broken and the microwave sat on top of the fridge. The carpet in front of the bathroom was all bleached out in spots so looked very dirty. Needless to say I didnt feel like it was a nice getaway. The one thing I can compliment is that the bed was very comfortable and we did have a nice sleep....only to wake up in the morning and find out we had to walk an unrealistic ways from the lobby to have the continental breakfast which consisted of cereal yogurt and bagels or muffins...and the yogurt was almost warm...not impressed. Sorry I will not stay here again. When I pay good money I want somethigg special...otherwise I could just stay at home:(...oh yes and don't expect handicap accessible..there are a lot of stairs in this place and for someone with bad knees it was torture:(

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank soursien
Marsha09786, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Medicine Hat, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for your comments on our hotel , we are doing renavations to hotel at this time to improve our rooms and and bring them up to date . We hope to see you again

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The dining room and lounge close far too early. Considering that we were there with a hockey team they weren't overly concerned when it got a little noisy at times.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Thank you for your comments about the Dinning room and lounge . We try to meet all the guests needs. I hope to see you again.