“Do Not Stay Here”

Travelodge Hotel Medicine Hat
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel is horrible I would never stay here and not at any travelodge again if this is what there standards are. Front desk person when we arrived was not friendly and seemed confused couldn't find the keys for the room then sent us to the wrong door and we couldn't get into the hotel went back. The room is very outdated it was not the cleanest we went with other family and we could not use the phone as it did not work in the room. Bathrooms are so small that there is no way two people can be in there at the same time the shower is behind the door I could almost touch from the mirror to the wall at the back of the shower wasn't the cleanest I have seen. We booked a non smoking room but when you use your key card to enter the building all you can smell is stale smoke I would like to know how you can have non smoking on one side of the hallway and smoking rooms on the other. We were there for three days for a graduation the hallways were not cleaned once the same rocks and dirt on the carpet on thursday was the same dirt that was there on sunday. When we got up saturday morning on our way to the pool in the hallway was two guys one on the couch the other on the floor passed out I guess from the night before it smelled of stale beer and the snoring was so loud not exactly you would want your kids to see. The only good part about the hotel is the pool area the pool is great even though it is on the cool side when we were there the hot tub was broken. The pictures on the web site are not at all what you get when you arrive there all lot of money for what you get I would stay almost anywhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Hotel Medicine Hat

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Pool girl to busy on her phone to notice no towels, front entry is full of cigarette butts, used soap in the shower, mold in the shower, (both rooms) receipts from the night before we stayed and cheerios in the pull out bed. Need I say more? Would drive an hour to Brooks than to stay here again.

Room Tip: if you're going to stay here, ask to see the rooms first.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ts-mama
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Room was small, and while not outright dirty - it didn't feel very clean. It was just...old, and tired. Bed was uncomfortable, and temperature was hard to regulate.

If it had been signifigantly less expensive than other nearby hotels, I could say that you get what you pay for and if this was a bargain place, it would be OK....but it isn't - rates are almost the same as anywhere else in town...it just wasnt worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank FreddySmith
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Our hockey team stayed at this hotel the last 2 times we played in a hockey tournament in Red Cliff. Our room was extremely out dated. The tub looks disgusting although it is clean. The hallways smell of smoke even though we were on a non smoking floor. On the plus side the pool is nice, all the kids loved the waterslide. The pool had way too much chlorine in it though, 2 kids cried because their eyes were burning. The beds were decently comfy and the sheets were clean. When someone in our group asked the maid if there had been any bed bugs she said " not now, but a few months ago there was". There was also a creepy room down the hall with no door handle, so of course we went in, there was a bed missing and a tarp on the floor. We all called it the room where someone died. Avoid the restaurant.

Room Tip: They has one room on our floor that had a travelodge bear beadspread, lamp shades, and chair if you...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristin S
Reviewed September 12, 2011

After travelling accross country and staying in many hotels, this one has been in the worst condition I have ever seen. It looks promising from the outside, and after 14 hours on the road, we were excited to find out they had a waterslide and hot tub, to get some much-needed relaxation.

My experience was as follows:
Upon check in, the clerk was listening to a rap station of some sort. I am young and enjoy dance music, i just don't think it is appropriate to have this in your lobby.
The ceiling in the front lobby was sagging, and the lobby is very dimly lit.
We reserved an upgraded room, and that room made me want to cry. It was so under-loved and badly cleaned that I wanted to just keep driving to BC. The room had 4 lightbulbs burnt, stains on the rug, stains in the bathtub (it needs repalceing) mold in the bathroom on the ceiling and cobwebs and dust on all the light fixtures.
I went downstairs and we asked to see other rooms. We viewed a few more and it looks like all the rooms have some sort of mold or black stains all over the ceiling, except for the first floor, and this is beacuse they installed a drop ceiling in the bathroom.

The room that we chose still had a very strong smell of urine in the bathroom, like housekeeping hadn't cleaned around the toilet properly. Just terrible.

Needless to say, we would not return and wouldn't deem this hotel fit for anyone to stay at unless you are throwing a hotel party, basically.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank townandcountrygirl
Reviewed January 12, 2011

This hotel had its good points and its not so good points, but overall, not so bad that we wouldn't stay again.
We decided to take a chance on this hotel after reading the reviews because of the waterpark for the kids, and it did not disapoint! The pool and area were always clean, and the attendants were always on task and easy to talk to with any concerns at all. We had a 10yr old and an 11mt old with us and the waterpark was very enjoyable for everyone.
The first room we stayed in was a standard room, which turned out to be too small for all of us for the 3 days we were going to be there. We spoke to the front desk and had no problem at all getting a suite which suited us better (they let us look first) for the rest of our stay which included an extra night after getting snowed in.
The front desk staff was pretty hit and miss though, none of them were rude, but out of the 3 we encountered only 1 was overall pleasant. The rest got the job done though.
The rooms were kinda rough around the edges and could use some upgrading (some have been already) everything in them seems pretty well worn but still in usable shape. One of our blankets had burn holes in it but the staff replaced it immediately. The fridges and microwaves are new and very clean. Tub looked kinda gross but was clean.
The continental breakfast was fine, there were a few items we chose to steer away from, but there were enough options that no one went hungry at all.
So if you are not looking for anything "top of the line" and aren't really picky then this is a good affordable place to stay, especially if you are going to want something for the kids to do.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2010

I will never recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, as the staff had no class, and full of sass and did not give a care about your stay or your concerns.
After complaining my room was 26 degree on night which was -4 outside and the air conditioning did not work, I was told to open my window. Funny thing was my window did't work and didn't have screen.
I was told maybe for the next nights stay my family should find a different hotel to stay in. Can you believe this....in this day an age.
I wrote a complaint to the Travelodge website about my stay, got an email back stating I wouold recieve a call from the general manager who wants to hear about my experience, well I never recieved this call.
The hotel is old and smells of an old hotel. If you like to wake up to the sound of yourr neighbors flushing the toilet or having a shower you are in luck. If you are looking for a hotel with ZERO customer service and ZERO class for everything else, there this is the right place. My family moved down the street the following night to the Best Western and had an awesome stay.

• Stayed: October 2010