“Overpriced Poolside Rooms”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Canada
“Overpriced Poolside Rooms”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Poolside rooms overpriced and rather dingy. Stayed 4 nights and room never cleaned before 5:00 pm. Doors on wardrobe falling off hinges. Underside of duvet had blueberry stains. No money spent on upgrading these rooms because parents will pay whatever to be near pool for their kids. Kids loved being near pool and had fun. Movie rentals cost $17+tax each. RIPOFF!! Advised at time of booking continental breakfast was included. At check in was told girl made mistake and no breakfast included. We bought the hot breakfast one morning but it was pretty crappy so didn't miss anything after all. Dinner buffet no better. Laundry room conveniently situated next to weight room. Fast room service. Lobby area nice & staff pleasant.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd & 4th floors nicer & more modern due to upgrades.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank goodtogoCanada
medicinehatlodge, Guest Services Coordinator at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and that we did not achieve our level of service expected from my staff. I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate department managers and my staff to prevent this from occurring again. I am happy to hear your kids had fun and loved the pool but I would like to personally talk with you in regards to the rest of your stay. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
jladouceur@medhatlodge.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Bowling Green, Ohio
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stay in this Lodge with my family and in-laws every July and December. Most of our kids are young and they absolutely love the water slides. The front desk service is excellent as are the rooms. Very clean. They have good suites if you want 4 or 5 people to stay in one room. The restaurant on property is good - especially for breakfast. We honestly enjoy going here even though Medicine Hat isn't the most exciting town. You are close to the mall and cinema and Costco. We usually ask for a late check-out and have no problems getting one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
medicinehatlodge, Guest Services Coordinator at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to see our repeat customers commenting on their recent stays. Our suites are the perfect size for a small family to stay in with the extra space in the sitting area. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet that is included in most of our room rates. We appreciate the positive feedback and hope to see you again this July.
Regina
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We are a family of 6 - mom, dad, 8 yr old, 3 yr old and 7 month old twins and we had a great stay at the Medicine Hat Lodge and would stay here again when visiting. We experienced superior customer service! From the very start we were treated exceptionally by getting our room ready for us before check in as we arrived early in to the city and while waiting allowed us to utilize the pool/water-slide - which was awesome for the older kids. The room was spacious and clean as the rest of the hotel. First evening (Sat) they set up a movie screen & speakers in the front lobby area for the kids and serve fresh made popcorn. Sun morning buffet one of the best we have ever been to - excellent! While at brunch a member of the cleaning staff named Melissa cleaned our room so incredibly well! I mean really went out of her way, spent extra time organizing our room, tidying it, leaving extra towels, soap, etc. As I returned to my room she was just leaving and asked "I hope you don't mind that I spent extra time on the room because I thought you looked tired." I so appreciated that she went out of her way due to empathy because I was totally tired, 4 kids keep you real busy all the time. As well she came back with soft towels just for the babies. You are a good person Melissa and I thank your kind gesture while we stayed - you deserve the recognition. From the young man in the elevator asking everyone how their day was going, giving directions or making small talk, to the chef at the buffet who was making the fresh apple fritters and to all the staff - I don't think one person walked by that worked there that didn't say hello. Good hospitality and service is so hard to find these days. Totally awesome! Great job Medicine Hat Lodge - see you soon!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the fantastic review about your stay here at the Medicine Hat Lodge. I am so glad that you enjoyed the time you spent in the hotel. I am happy to hear that every encounter you had with our staff, they went above and beyond your expectations. Thank you again for the outstanding review and we look forward to your next stay.
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at the Medicine Hat Lodge for one night on a business trip. The hotel staff was friendly upon check in but when we called to try to get a late checkout (as recommended by the desk staff when we got there) the staff member was not helpful and informed me I had to call housekeeping for a late checkout,

I was upgraded to a bigger room, a king suite which was spacious but dated and poorly lit. I was scared to sleep on the pillows as they were lumpy and yellow under the pillowcase.

I did love the waterslide pool area - it was a lot of fun to unwind in the big hot pool and going down the huge slides. I could smell the chlorine in the hallways so I'm glad my room faced away from pool area.

Breakfast does not start until 7:00 am which is useless to most business travellers, such as myself. I did like the large container of ice water and lemon/lime slices in the lobby, it was a nice touch.

I think this hotel would be better for families with kids rather than business travellers given the fun pool area and waterslides.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the waterslides unless you want to watch kids and smell chlorine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SparkySprite
medicinehatlodge, Guest Services Coordinator at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize that your stay was satisfactory. I have informed the departments about your concerns noted in your review. Our Breakfast Buffet is open from 6:30am-10:30am Monday through Friday to accommodate our business travellers, and I am sorry this was not communicated correctly to you. I would like to further discuss your stay, if you can please contact me at your earliest convenience.
MOOSE JAW
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

The service here is by far the best I have ever had at any hotel. The staff are so friendly and helpful here, it really made for an enjoyable & relaxing stay. This hotel offers everything you need all under one roof including:

-Waterslides & Pools
-Delicious restaurants
-Well-Stocked Offsale/Liquor Store
-Beautiful gift shop
-Spa
-CASINO!

They even had a free movie and popcorn night in the lobby on one of the nights we were here! the beds and pillows were verrrrrry comfy and it was hard to want to crawl out of bed in the mornings lol. Rooms are also kept meticulously clean by maids. There is complimentary coffee in the room and also complimentary coffee, fruit & water in the lobby. Great location too! There is a Walmart, movie theatre, shopping mall, arcade and many, MANY other fun close very close by. This is a very well-run hotel!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank RoadTripGirly
We very much appreciate your comments and visiting us at the Medicine Hat Lodge. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback. I am glad you were able to enjoy all the amenities the hotel has to offer. Thank you for sharing your experience, and I hope your next stay will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Saskatchewan
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The checkin agent was cool and not very helpful, although the morning checkout staff were very friendly. THe room was clean but the furniture was chipped, the room needed painting and it could use new beds. We found the bed & pillows very uncomfortable.

We were offered an upgraded room for $10.00 more - we looked at the room but couldn't see the value but it may have had better pilloes & bed.

I was a walk in so I feel I overpaid by approx 25%.

The one strange thing was the "free" continental breakfast didn't open until 6:30am and if you wanted some breakfast meat it was an additional $2.99. Go figure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sk User
medicinehatlodge, Guest Services Coordinator at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your response with us about your recent stay at the Medicine Hat Lodge. We value the time you took to provide us with feedback on our hotel rooms and restaurant services. Please contact me to further discuss your stay.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just checked in here and the first thing I noted when I walked in is how bad a vacuuming this place needs. And this extends throughout all of the hotel. I can forgive the institutional looking exterior but the interior for me anyways, has to be clean! First impressions mean a lot so get some extra cleaners in here perhaps!
The staff were friendly enough at the front desk but since when is there an up-charge for a room that has an extra person totaling 2 persons in it? Is a hotel occupancy not based on 2 people? I do not even eat breakfast so if this is about having a coupon for a "free morning meal" they can have it back!
We opted to pay for an upgrade to the 4th floor since we are going to be spending a few days here and wanted the jetted tub as I know from other reviews I will not be using the pool here, nor the hot tub in 1st level common area (too messy and noisy).
Our first room was not cleaned properly so we had to move down the hall. The night tables and other surfaces had not even been wiped down in room #1! Crumbs and multiple water rings from glasses etc were visible - gross! The 2nd room we found more acceptable cleanliness-wise but as I sit here and write this my eyes are burning from chlorine coming up from the vents, no joke and the air vent/air conditioner in here is making SO much noise I can barely hear our TV. (the TV is a nice size by the way!)
There is a funny smell to the room in general so thankfully, I brought a candle.
I do not want to walk in my bare feet on the carpets (bring flip flops)! :( Sorry for all the complaining but it is what it is and there may be better options out there for people coming to MH and being informed is a good thing!
I was happy to find out that I was staying in "the nicest hotel in Medicine Hat" but my husband has been eying the Holiday Inn Express from our window across the highway and wishes his company had booked us there! Maybe next time... I hope I can get through the next 3 days here!
Will be happy to update this review if needed...

Room Tip: 4th floor for jetted tubs
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank islandhopper72
medicinehatlodge, Guest Services Coordinator at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us at the Medicine Hat Lodge. I appreciate all the feedback you left for our review, and I would like to speak with you further in regards to some of your concerns. If you can please contact me at your earliest convenience.