“We'll be looking for somewhere else!”
Review of Imperial Motor Inn

Imperial Motor Inn
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have stayed at the Imperial a number of times before and for the price it was okay.
This time we stayed for 3 nights on business. The ownership has changed and so has the price per night. This is definately not a $95 (what we paid per night) motel! There are a number of properties in Medicine Hat that are a lot nicer and less expensive.
The bed was comfortable but the linens smelled like linens that haven't been washed properly or have been used for a long period of time.
The breakfast was nothing to really get excited about. Warm scrambled eggs, the regular cereals (more sweet kids stuff), toast, a few bagels, and tiny muffins. As far as fruit, there were a few oranges and nothing else. The standard coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. was available.
It would have been nice for more fruit and some yogurt as well as a couple other breakfast favorites.
We asked for a wake up call one morning but never got it!
I also don't like being asked to let them photo copy my driver's license which is what they did.
I figure they have my name, address, and credit card, that's enough.
We booked out after 3 nights but had to come and stay a fourth night in the same room because of a snow storm. The table inside had not been wiped and the sink area had coffee stains from the morning that hadn't been wiped even though the room had been made up.
Don't know why we went back for the 4th night, just not thinking. My bad!
We will be staying somewhere else from now on in Medicine Hat. The price just didn't match the room!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank longjohn030
Harp N, Manager at Imperial Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. New owners of the property are doing major renovations. Since your stay, rooms are complete with new carpet, paint, drapes, bedding and air conditioners. The common areas are getting a face lift and we have added 35 kitchenettes with full size fridge and stoves. 24 hour coffee and hot items to the Breakfast Bar. All rooms are equipped with microwaves, fridge, coffee pot, high speed internet, free local calls and hair blowers.
Our top priority is to provide a clean, affordable with excellent service for our guests
We hope to have another opportunity and the honor of your visit in order to change your perception about our facilities and service.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Ronnie P
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Along the road from Golden to Niagara there is a place called Medicine Hat. We stopped for the night because of the great meal we had at the restaurant next door. Oops! Big mistake. The room, although it looked clean smelled of smoke and might have been clean although with old decor it was hard to tell. We spent the night but wouldn't have spent any longer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

.Similarly, we hope to have another opportunity and the honor of your visit in order to change your perception about our facilities and service.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Imperial Inn numerous times and are very pleased with the service and rooms. We always receive a friendly welcome by last name and are quickly settled into our room, which has always been clean and fresh. I have yet to experience a problem and appreciate the wireless internet available in the rooms as well as the office utilities (fax and printer) available in the lobby. The free hot breakfast was very good they have added scrambeled eggs and a huge LCD tv to the breakfast room! We were able to use the pool and it was well cleaned and fully functionable. The Beefeater restaurant is a few steps away which is very convenient and has the best steaks in town. There is ample parking. A comfortable and consistent place to stay in the Medicine Hat area. I called the hotel directly and got the lowest rate for a hotel that had a pool and free breakfast! Best price and a great stay.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly for getting the best rate. Expedias rate was overpriced!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I booked through an online site that rated this motel as 3.5 stars. I felt reasonably confident, having booked a nice Sheraton suite through the same site for essentially the same rate.
This motel is straight out of the 70's, and it hasn't been updated since
The worst part was it was absolutely filthy; and I'm fairly tolerant. However, it hadn't been vacuumed. There was something on the vanity that hadn't been cleaned, and I had to wipe off the sticky remote...ewwww.
The dealbreaker was when I pulled back the bedding and found a stain and other debris on the fitted sheet. I changed rooms hopin that would be better, but only slightly so.
I know that when you book this online it appears inexpensive; but make no mistake, it is cheap!
If filthy and disgusting is your thing you'll love it though.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Check in was easy, but the key wouldn't work in the door, so I had to go back to the main desk and change rooms - not a problem. Got to the room with two queen beds and it was like many older hotel/motels I have stayed in over the years. The room needed updating big time, but it was cozy and clean. The bed was a bit hard but still comfortable. I went to use the hot tub but found that the jets weren't working, but still went in for a soak. The pool was freezing, so I didn't bother jumping in there. I have stayed here before and came back just for the pool and hot tub experience - both were disappointing this time. I ate at the free continental breakfast. Just a brick of scrambled eggs and some bagels and muffins, but what little they had was good.

I finally got the wireless internet to work, and once it started working, it worked well.

I would stay here again, especially for the inexpensive room rate.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MattDD67
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel looks a bit tacky on the outside and I'll admit I wouldn't have considered it if I hadn't needed somewhere super cheap for a quick stay. I was very pleasantly surprised! While it is not modern it is clean and well kept with friendly staff and a convenient location. The rooms are large with outside access as well as a door inside to access the pool which is very nice. My room had a mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot as well as an extra deep bathtub, and the bed was comfortable, I will stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo