“Fresh food, veggie options”

The Zucchini Blossom Market and Cafe Ltd.
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: After serving Medicine Hat for almost 12 years the Zucchini Blossom has found a new location. Right next door! Please come visit our beautifully renovated new space. Great things are cooking in our expanded and shiny kitchen. Wi-Fi and comfy seats are also now available. Hope to see you!
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Nice small bistro atmosphere. Food freshly prepared, with a wait if busy. Homemade soups, quiche and salads with vegetarian options unusual in this city. Coffee cups you could swim in, friendly staff ,and a choice of local and European groceries to buy.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Went here for lunch with my husband based on the reviews, we weren't disappointed! I had a mushroom soup with truffle oil and my husband had the greek salad. We also had some stuffed vine leaves which were lovely. We both know greek cuisine well so were impressed with the quality. We sampled their savoury scones-gorgeous and their carrot cake, very sweet but also good. All this with three drinks was $45, not too bad.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have been going there for years, as well as buying their teas and other specialty products. I hope you don't have a mistake happen, as they are not good at resolving things, and they really don't value customer service if something goes wrong. I think that after so many years, they have forgotten who they serve and who supports their business.

I bought 4 packages of loose tea. I live out of town where the cafe is located. When I went to make a cup of tea, I opened one of the packgages, and found the wrong tea had been packaged in the wrong package. I didn't end up with the correct tea I thought I bought. So I called, explained what happened, and asked how long they were open, and they told me they close in 15 minutes. Living out of town, I knew I wouldn't be able to get there in time. I asked if they were open on sundays, and they said yes and I said I would come back then as I couldn't make it there in time before they close. The next day I went in to the cafe, and told the manager/owner that I bought the tea yesterday, and that perhaps she had better open it and smell it (I bought the tulsi pear/apple tea, and the tea in the package was black earl grey). In a loud voice she said, "If there is a problem with the tea, just tell me!". She opened it. looked at it, and said, "Oh, this isn't the Tulsi tea", then she smelled it and said "it's earl grey". So she went to the shelf, picked up another package, smelled it and handed it over to me saying this was the correct tea. Without an apology, she said thanks and muttered that she had better check the remainder of the teas on the shelf, and that was it, moved on to the next customer. I went home and phoned back as I did not want to say anything in front of the other customers. I told her that I did not like the way she spoke very loudly in front of the other customers saying "If you have a problem, just say it". I also said that since I had to drive back from out of town, I did not feel good that I did not even get an apology for something that was not even my fault. Now even after explaining this to her, she still could not muster out an apology. She said "I hear what you are saying, but..." and then proceeded to explain her behaviour. I told her I wasn't interested in hearing the reasons, or excuses for the mistake, I only expected an apology and acknowledgment for my inconvenience as I had to drive back from out of town. She repeated," I understand what you are saying, but you aren't allowing me to give my side of the story" . Again I told her I wasn't interested in hearing what went wrong, I only expected an apology, and as an owner, she should be concerned about customer service, and not giving excuses. Since I wanted an apology, and did not want to hear about the excuses/reasons. She hung up on me.

I am very disappointed that she has been around so long, and has had so many good reviews, that she had developed an ego and could not even handle an honest mistake and is incapable of saying sorry. Mistakes happen, I understand that. We are human, and not perfect (but I got the sense that since she felt that it was so important to make excuses, that she must think she is perfect). I wasn't expecting anything more than a sincere apology and a sincere attitude that showed that I was a valued customer and she wanted my business back. |As a customer that has had a mistake happen that wasn't my fault, and caused me some inconvenience, I was not interested in her side of the story. She was more interested in redeeming herself, and didn't care about me or my business.

I will be telling all of my friends and aquaintances about how I was treated. She has lost more than one customer.

8  Thank salbertarose
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stopped here on a drive across the country because of their good reviews, and we were satisfied. Their soup was heart and delicious, sandwiches and salads were sophisticated and satisfying, and the dessert was wonderfully gluten free! The service staff were very nice, and the general atmosphere was very homey.

1  Thank storm9
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I am always impressed with the quality of the food, and fantastic service at the Zuccini Blossom. I have eaten there many times, and the quality of the food is very consistent, and made from scratch.

2  Thank FabulousFoodLover