“Terrible experience”
Review of Umami Shop

Umami Shop
Cuisines: German, Italian, Vietnamese, Canadian, Fusion
Reviewed March 20, 2019

Ever since moving to Lethbridge I have always wanted to come into Umami and attend a class. I had been looking forward to it for so long. I finally found a class that worked with mine and my mothers schedule to attend. It was a Mexican class. Upon arrival we weren't welcomed or acknowledged at all.. we stood at the front desk while the owner yelled from behind the desk at the cleaning lady to put the mats out. We stood there for an uncomfortable amount of time waiting for her to acknowledge that we had entered the shop. She finally spoke to us and said we could look around till the class started as we were early. We looked around for a bit, I then had to go to the bathroom. I went up the the desk and asked the owner if there was a washroom I could use, she didn't even look at me or face me but rather just pointed to a corner of the store and walked away.
The cooking class started with 4 of us which began with the owner barking orders at the other worker who was doing the cooking class with her. The class was a huge disappointment for me and my mother. Most of the food was premade, which for pulled pork I understand but we did not get to know what went into the dishes. We switched between making the basics of every meal like stirring and chopping. We did not get any recipes or any knowledge of the dishes. The owner kept calling hotdogs sausages and at one point scolded her worker for calling them hotdogs... The whole class was disorganized, rushed, impersonal and unprofessional. The owner would tell us where to go and what to do in a not kind way, would ask us questions to be nice but not in a nice tone and then would not listen to the answers. She micro managed her other worker the whole time. We got to plate the appetizer after a awkward 40 minutes of preparing the food and then were sat at a table across the shop to eat them. We ate with the other 2 women in our group who were very nice but sat at the table with out any workers coming to check on us for a long time. After the wait the owner came and served us our entree. Keep in mind this was a cooking class...... which we did not get to cook...
Me and my mom did not choose the beverage pairing option to go with our cooking class but the other 2 woman did. They received a glass of wine at the beginning and a beer after the entree came. The owner gave the beer to the women and said "The liquor store was out of mexican beer, this will have to do"...
The food was low quality (hotdogs??) and not good. The cooking class was supposed to be 3 hours long and took a hour and a half. We were supposed to learn how to cook 5-7 dishes, we learned 4. Never got the recipe to those dishes and were not able to make them from beginning to end to learn how to make them. During the whole class the owner kept barking orders at her working, when the worker was the only one making the experience enjoyable and fun.
This cooking class was priced at $150.00, we would have been treated better, enjoyed our evening, saved money and felt more comfortable if we would have stayed home and made our own hot dogs.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed January 28, 2019

I have done cooking classes at Umami where you learn to prepare the food you are going to eat. Loved it every time, nice to gain skills while having a fun time socializing preparing the food. Love that I can purchase all the unique items not available elsewhere, and I learn something new every time I come into the shop!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed August 27, 2018

This unique store has everything you could ever want to cook with PLUS people cooking with it!! The food is always good and the service is outstanding. Go for something a little different and you will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed May 2, 2018

Thought we would try Umami for lunch today and ordered some Vietnamese subs to go.
Really disappointed in that particular product! We were wondering where the meat was in the sandwiches. The amount of meat was a thin row in the sandwich about the thickness of my index finger. It was hard to taste the flavor of the meat over the amount of pickled carrots falling out the side of the bun. Two of the same sandwiches were made different but had been asked to be made the same. One had 2 slices of jalapeno, the other didn't. One had a couple of thin strands (not slices) of onion, the other didn't. Way too much bun for the amount of fillings! The sandwiches were pricey and not very good at all! Probably won't return.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed December 21, 2017

The food was excellent, the price comparable, and all within walking of the downtown core. Terrific place to go for dinner before a night at the movies.

Date of visit: December 2017