“Terrible customer service, not worth it”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Lethbridge
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The rooms are fine- they're clean and have everything you need. The location, on a main road near restaurants and services, is quite good. The continental breakfast is very limited, certainly not what I expected. But the staff are just awful- they are rude, and not at all concerned about providing good customer service.
The wireless was out over the weekend, and the first front desk agent I spoke with about it on Friday told me it was due to the flooding. When I asked her why the hotels next door and across the street, as well as businesses down the road, had no problems with their internet (which remained the case all weekend), she switched gears and told me that no one else had mentioned it and she would call the help desk when she had a minute. I called back 2 hours later and asked if they had made any progress, and was told that she hadn't called yet, and that it was an inconvenience for her. This particular agent was snappy, interrupted me, and made it clear that she was annoyed at having to deal with their wireless problem. I called back the next day and was told not to expect wireless access until Monday (the day I was checking out), but that I could either check out and be reimbursed (I had booked and paid through Expedia), or stay and be given $25 for each day the internet was out. This agent was much more professional and straightforward, and didn't try to lie about what was clearly a technical issue. When I went to check out on Monday and inquired about the reimbursement, the front desk manager was very rude and acted as though I were asking for something extremely unreasonable (the other desk agent had misunderstood the $25 per day, it was supposed to be $25 total). She even printed out her email to the agent I had spoken with, and shoved it at me across the desk.
It was one of the worst customer service experiences I've had just because of the lack of professionalism displayed by the staff, and I would certainly never recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank atticgirl7
Davis1979, General Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear atticgirl7,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your last stay with us. Just to let you know new management have taken over the hotel in October 2013 and we can assure you that the services and commitment to our guest concerns are of utmost importance. If ever in the area I would encourage you to give us another try to see the difference in the attentive nature of our front desk agents and staff. We would like to apologize for your past stay and hope that if ever in the area you'll give us another try. Have a great day.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at this motel for just one night in February 2013. A quick overnight stay en route to the mountains. It has a good location, close to restaurants and shopping. However, it is an old style motel, with front door to your room entering directly from outdoors. Therefore, we heard every car and truck pulling into parking lot and at 5:30 a.m., one of the other guests started his large truck and let it run for over 1/2 hour to let it warm up. Needless to say, we were awake very early. Also, when checking in, we commented how lovely the lobby building was, obviously newly decorated with a fireplace and comfortable chairs. The sad part is this is where the updating ends. Rooms are very, very small, furniture, bedding and draperies are old and dated and the bathroom is so small you can hardly function in it. Not to mention that they have tried very hard to give the traveller conveniences such as a microwave which is stuck in an area that you bump into every time you try to get to the bathroom. Breakfast in morning was average, the usual bagels and cereals and waffles. This motel is clean, but sadly out of date and front desk staff is slow and very unknowledgble. I would spend a little extra and check in somewhere else.

Room Tip: No matter what room you you get in this motel, you will always hear the noise from the parking lot a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunbum222

Dear sunburn222,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for choosing to stay with us.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the services and amenities that we offer, however disappointing to hear that you did not find the value in our product. We would like to thank you for staying with and would like to wish you a wonderful day.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My kids and I stayed in Lethbridge for one night at the Econo Lodge. It was our first time staying there. I had called one month prior to reserve a room, and had one reserved with two beds, non smoking. We arrived around noon the day of our stay, and I thought i'd check in early, not necesarily to get into our room, but that we'd be returning later that night. The lady at the front desk said their computer was having issues, but it would be no problem checking in later. Well, we returned about 9 PM and was informed by the replacement staff that their computers were on the brink, and they double booked.After waiting to see what they would do, we were given the suite room, with a queen bed and roll out couch. My daughter slept on the couch, and wasnt impressed. The security chain on the door was ripped off, and there was a few stray hairs here and there, but the beds were very clean. For the price (they gve it to us for regular price) it was acceptable. The breakfast was good(muffins, bagels,etc.) if you didnt mind sitting on the lap of others in the cramped room. I would stay here again,if I needed a short one night stay. Oh, and the parking is perfect...for a very little car. The U-shaped lot is perfect for hit and runs.

Room Tip: The balcony walkway echoes throughout the upstairs rooms in stereo!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jcsch

Dear jcsch,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the issues that you encountered during your last stay. We are under a new management team and would love to make up for the unprofessionalism you experienced on your last stay. Thank you again and we hope that if ever in the area you will give us another try. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I almost always review hotels before I go, but this time I didn't and I've learned my lesson. The front lobby is clean and inviting and front desk staff was friendly, that's where the pleasantries end. The room was run down, walls need to be repaired and washed or repainted, bathroom in serious need of repair, tub floor was permastained (we didn't shower), around the toilet needed to be scrubbed. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were clean, so at least we got a decent nights sleep. The location is good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melndean
Reviewed September 3, 2012

If I could give this Hotel a lower rating I would. The room was disgustingly dirty; it had an odor of stale air and body odor. The shower had dried on shampoo or bodywash on the shelf. If you walked around the room in bare feet you would leave footprints in the shower in the morning, that is how dirty the carpet was. These things my wife and I could work around but when we started finding bite marks on our bodies and then found FLEAS, yes fleas in the room that was the final straw. We checked out immediately. All I can say is that I am glad that we were not the one paying for the room, the company I work for was, and they have said that they will never book another room from this hotel or its affiliates ever again, same goes for us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Rory H
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This was one of the dirtiest rooms I've stayed in. As soon as you walked in the door the smell was bad. The carpet was dirty and cobwebs in the bathroom. The bed spread did not smell clean.
I would tell everyone not to stay there.Mold around the bathtub.

Room Tip: Do not stay there
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelman322
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Location:
The Econo Lodge and Suites in Lethbridge is located a little outside the city center in a typical motel/ shop/ fast food area. This motel offers both ordinary rooms and suites. It is recommended to arrive by car. The motel is easy to access from this mainroad. Even is the motel is located close to this road we were not disturbed by traffic noise.

Service:
The service was good and we were well greeted. We got good information about breakfast and admin stuff. The front desk ladies were very helpful and paid good attention to our requests.

Rooms:
The room was spacious and nice. They had discrete and modern furniture and decorations. There was a fridge and a microwave. The room also had two sinks. One in the bathroom corner and one in the separate room with toilet and shower. The room had a modern flat screen tv with a good selection of tv channels. It was possible to open the window and that was good because the aircondition was a little noisy during night time.

Breakfast was regular "motel breakfast".

Surrounding areas:
The hotel is a few minutes drive from downtown. There are plenty of options for food and also some shops in the area. We took a walk in the evening and we felt safe and secure.

We truely recommend the Econo Lodge and Suites in Lethbridge. We have been staying at several motels during our trip and this one felt like above average. We felt we got good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple