“Very Disappointed”

Coast Lethbridge Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Lethbridge
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

When I booked my stay at this hotel, I did my homework. I knew, or at least I thought I knew, what to expect. I selected this hotel due to its fairly positive reviews, new renovation work, and close proximity to a wedding I was attending near by.

First off, the postivies: The location worked out well. The building was nice and clearly had been updated. The girls running the front desk were very nice and friendly. Customer service isn't a problem at this hotel. They are also pet friendly, which was another big reason why I went with this hotel.

Now the negatives: The biggest negative was the room itself. Yes, it was refurbished. The flat screen TV was nice, but the room was beyond small. It only had two double beds in it and we jammed in there wall to wall. My son's small crib/play-yard provided by the hotel (which isn't very big) took up the remaining breathing room. It was horrible. I would have been in an larger, upgraded room, but this wasn't allowed due to the pets. So our room was the very basic one.

The play-yard was just laying on our bedroom floor - not set up. No linens for it were provided. I asked the front desk girls for some and they seemed surprised. I have no idea why. Who in their right mind would want their child sleeping on a bare mattress!

The biggest negative (and I mean big!) was how noisy the room was. I was in room 117, right off of the front desk. The employees entrance door was right across the hall pretty much from our room's door. We listened to their door slam shut all night. We listening to their partial conversations (some work related, some not) around the door. We listed to the cleaning ladies and carts all moving about in this area for whatever reason. Our son woke from all of this noise too many times to count. When morning finally hit we were exhausted and drained from our sleepless night. It was the worst sleeping experience I have ever had in any hotel in my life. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

The girls at the front didn't ask how our stay was so I didn't let them know what a nightmare it was. I just wanted out of there. Now perhaps there are other more soundproof rooms available, because surely there are rooms with more space! However, when the lights were out in the room you could see a substantial amount of light beaming in around the bedroom door. The bedroom doors are definitely not tightly sealed to help with the noise.

Next time in Lethbridge, I will definitely try the Holiday Inn Express, which is also pet friendly. Other guests of the wedding stayed there and were pleased with the hotel and their accomodations.

At least we were only there for one night, I don't think I could have handled any additional sleepless nights!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank HockeyFan09
DosSales, Director of Sales at Coast Lethbridge Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, June 16, 2010
I would like to thank you for submitting your candid comments, as we continue our quest to provide superior accommodations and service in Lethbridge.

As a result of your comments regarding both the room you were given (as a pet friendly room) and its location near a high traffic area, we have instituted new policies which include: a) an extension to larger, more family-friendly accommodations travelling with a pet. b) ensuring that guest rooms situated in high volume traffic areas are the very last rooms to be rented.

We, at the Coast Lethbridge Hotel, take great pride in our hotel and, because of this, aim to improve wherever necessary should our guests feel they have experienced anything less than an ideal stay.

Once again we thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Calgary
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I stayed at this newly renovated hotel in March 2010 and it was fabulous! They upgraded my room and I was put in a huge suite with a flat panel tv, fireplace and jucuzi tub. So, of course, on my next trip I booked this hotel again, but it did not go so well.. maybe a momentary bad aliment of the planets? I don't know, but when i checked in and was given a room on the second floor. This being one of the first days of spring in Alberta, after a long and harsh winter, I wasn't really into working and sleeping in a tiny windowless room... So I asked for a room with a window and was moved to the main floor by the entrance, which cost $10 more. A view of nothing but the other side of the building and a constant parade of people walking by, but at least I had air.. and other visitors.. While I was working, I noticed an ant crawling up the wall. "no big deal, I said, what's one little ant?" I went to work out in the exercise room, which was not complete - no paper towels even to clean the equipment - and when I returned I laid on the bed.. I was kinda sweaty from working out... so I assume that the crawling sensation on my arm was from a bead of sweat.... Wrong! it was an ant running around on my arm.. I didn't think I'd really sleep well, even though there was really nice modern decor, thinking that ants would be crawling on me, so I talk to the front desk and they moved me again. Back to the second floor, this time a room with a window. It's a nice room, they've done a great job of decorating and modernizing this old hotel. Now as for the restaurant - it's very nicely decorated, the food is OK, but not exactly world class, pretty good for Lethbridge though. Don't order the cheese cake, though.. because according to the staff meeting I over heard, they'd had a lot of complaints about that... and the staff are tired of hearing the same music over and over throughout the course of their shift, but the boss isn't going to do anything about it right away... LOL! I wasn't really into the whole disco tune thing myself.. but what can I say? Now.. I wouldn't even be writing any of this, because I'm a pretty patient person and things happen.. I stay in a lot of hotels in a year, but the last straw was when I was in the lounge and the waitress abandoned me.. I was waiting waiting for the bill which never arrived.. it was 11:30 at night, I wanted to sleep! So.. final verdict is, this hotel seems to be in the midst of growing pains.. it could be good or bad.. not sure which way it will go. They seem to be trying.. but for the price.. I don't want to be a guinea pig.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
DosSales, Director of Sales at Coast Lethbridge Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, May 21, 2010
At the Coast Lethbridge Hotel & Conference Centre we pride ourselves in the level of service and accommodations which we provide for our guests. It is because of our firm commitment to exceed guest expectations at every level that we appreciate comments such as yours - comments which we take very seriously and will address. The entire staff of this property are excited about our recent renovations and our goal is to provide an exceptional hotel experience to each and every one of our guests. I thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay as we strive to become the hotel of choice in Lethbridge and invite you to visit us again.
Cranbrook
Reviewed February 7, 2010

This hotel has been nicely renovated. Will recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2010

Renovations are not complete (only areas left are the suites and pool etc); We had a King room which was totally refinished from floor to ceiling, all furnishing, fixtures, counter. New narrow but deep soaker tub/shower, with new vanity (although small). Wall mounted flat screen TV for viewing from bed; Room cramped with the new oversized furniture (arm chair and end tables); this room would be great for one but with two it was cramped; this is a reno of an old concrete lodging and therefore walls could not be moved and therefore there is no noise from other rooms either. Staff very friendly, main entry large with loads of couchs and chairs to lounge; resturant attached (which was great); mattress' new and therefore very firm; internet problematic but have business centre free of charge; a lot of extras in room; 2 bathrobes, everything you could think of in the bathroom and some in large pump containers and others in small sqeeze bottles, lots of towels, recycling;

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Airdrie
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Just returned home after a three night stay at the Coast Lethbridge Hotel & Conference Centre. Totally impressed with this renovated facility. Front desk staff went beyond their call of duty, (Krystal, Sonny). The new facility is very modern, clean, rooms are very well equipped, housekeeping services were excellent. a real plus is the new attached "Firestone" dining facility.Exceptional menu and service.
I do a lot of travelling for my work as a development officer for a major Canadian charity and as a result stay in a variety of hotels. I rank this one near the top and it will now become my choice of accomodations in Lethbridge.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2009

The previous reviews for this hotel is when it was the Travelodge - El Rancho. It is now under new management and now called Coast Hotel. What a change...wow!! We were there for a wedding and the place is beautiful, staff was friendly and service was great. The food was unbelievable!! So good. Cannot wait to go back once the Firestone resturant is open. This is now the BEST hotel in Lethbridge. You will not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2009