“Over-rated”

Lethbridge Lodge Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Lethbridge
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I wound up here because Hotwire rated it as their top stars for this city, and you don't always know what you're getting for the Hotwire price. I would rather have gotten one of their one notch lower places like Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Suites.
Here there is no breakfast included (which I figured) but the Internet connection is sporadic and works about haf the time. That can be very annoying.
Half of the rooms face the indoor courtyard which has the pool and bar area. This gets extremely noisy, especially with all the kids and teenagers screaming. I actually had to crank up the TV volume to overcome the racket.
I was generous with my "average" rating because the staff was friendly and sympathetic about the Internet, and also although the room was a little out-dated, it was comfortable enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking back outside, not at the indoor courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank JuanAndOnly
Paul H, General Manager at Lethbridge Lodge Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We were certainly appreciative that your recognized the personal service provided to you. We would like to apologize for the internet service you experienced during your stay. We are currently in the process of upgrading our high speed internet service with a more robust system and will soon be able to provide better if not the best high speed in the city of Lethbridge for a hotel.
We are pleased to offer complimentary hot buffet breakfast with “make your own” Belgian waffles. This service is offered to guests who reserve their room through our own website or directly with the hotel as part of their room rate. I am also pleased to let you know that over the next couple of months, we will be improving the look and service of the Complimentary Breakfast Buffet.
Thank you again for your valuable comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was very concerned upon reading the reviews! I have recently stayed in 2 other hotels in Lethbridge and this would rank in the middle of them, though strictly for value for money I would place this hotel in last place.

My biggest concern was that people reported it was dirty. I can report that for the two rooms we stayed in 144 and 329, the room was clean. We both checked the bathrooms, carpets, beds and other items and it was fine.

The hotel itself is the epitomy of 1980's style. The lounge and pool are located in the courtyard, which is about 4 stories high and enclosed. The lobby lounge has a nice vibe.

My room, 144, was located on the ground floor, facing the back parking lot, and anyone could walk up to the window - I didn't feel the window offered great protection, though there were no problems.

The room is dated and in come areas worn. The tv was an old console style, about 20 inch. The window sill was chipped and the caulking around the sink needed to be redone.

Strangely my room really smelled of cooking, the hallway didn't. It was quite strong. Another issue with my room was a strange electrical sound which sounded a bit like the scrapping of a chair (as you push back from a desk), that happened several times an hour and lasted about 10 seconds. No super loud, it never woke me up but it was annoying as I lay in bed trying to go to sleep.

The room offered a desk and a chair with no wheels.

Internet speed was fine for me.

The bedside lamp must have had some low wattage lights because it was difficult to read as the lights were too low.

The bed was comfortable and so was the comforter. The pillows (4 on each bed) offered both high and low loft.

No fridge, no microwave and no water provided.

Heat in the room was effective, though the heat selector dial was broken and it was difficult to figure out what the temp setting was. The fan was a little loud. I left mine off most of the time and the temperature was great for sleeping (about 18 degrees or lower). I turned on the heat in the morning to warm it up before I got ready, and then turned it down for the day. My workmate stayed on the 3rd floor and she found it too warm at night, making it difficult for her to sleep (hotel issue or menopause issue?).

Checkin was quick and friendly. Check out was ok.

I probably wouldn't stay here again, given the price I paid, and I won't recommend it.

Room Tip: some complain about the courtyard being loud, I think the ambience would be worth the noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so very much for the detailed comments regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We appreciate that you recognize that although our hotel is a bit dated in decor, we strive to maintain cleanliness and comfort for our guests. We certainly apologize for the unknown noise you heard in your room. Our Maintenance Team will be placing the room out of order and will determine if the mechanical unit of the heating system will need to be replaced. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
The staff were thrilled that you enjoy the atrium and that the ambiance met your expectation. The atrium offers a unique setting amidst live botanical gardens, running brooks all under natural sunlight. In the evening time the area is alive and can also be very tranquil.
Thank you again and we certainly look forward to your return.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel because of a hockey tournament and the team was booked there. Rooms are very out of date and mine was dirty! Dirty enough that I went down and asked for a new room. The rooms looked like they cam out of that 70's show, furniture was very old and had a tube tv that had to warm up to get rid of fuzzy picture.....All rooms are also
built around a main court area that is really quite nice but the noise echos thru there and it was quite loud. Tip for a good room choice is to find another hotel.
The food was good as we ate there but the bad out weighs the good by a lot!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
15  Thank canuck_6

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We appreciate your comments and will certainly strive to improve. We place cleanliness at top of mind and certainly apologize that during your stay we fell down on that occasion. I have shared your comment with our Housekeeping Manager and we will continue to coach our Room Attendants to our high standards.
Thank you for the glowing comment on our food. The Chef and his culinary team were thrilled to read this.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

When you walk in the door of this old hotel you are greeted by a lovely warm lobby. Behind the check in desk is a beautiful courtyard with pool and lounge, baby grand piano and more. But this quite literally is where the warm happy feeling ends! The rooms are so out of date, that they rival the stage sets from "That 70's Show". The bathtubs are maybe 9 inches deep, with mould growing on the walls between the siliconed tiles. The water pressure isn't. You need to run around in the shower the get wet. The hot water is sporadic at best. The heating in the room is also poor. We were freezing. The windows are ancient, with drafts coming through. The windows coverings have plastic on the back side which is all torn and clipped together with safety pins. (not good if you have small children that's for sure!)The rooms are not clean. Clearly their housekeeping policies are not up to what most expect of a hotel today. Never mind the Lodge, which used to be the nicest place in Lethbridge. This last trip we checked in Saturday afternoon. We got to our room and it was dirty. Beds were made, but you could tell they weren't clean sheets. They had definitely been slept in. There was garbage etc still in the room. We went back to the front desk and complained, so they gave us another room. We got into it, and hooray, clean beds, but huge gigantic clumps of dog hair was everywhere. They most definitely only cleaned this room half way. When we called the front desk, they admitted that the room they put us in was a pet room. So, three times a charm and we get yet another room. This room was clean for the most part. The carpet is old and really dirty. The toilet hadn't been cleaned (urine stains all over) but we were tired of moving from room to room and really just wanted to get settled in. The Wi-fi is very slow, but adequate. The front desk staff were alright in handling our situation giving us free vouchers for breakfast and discounting the room we stayed in. It isn't really their fault the rooms weren't cleaned and they did work to come up with a positive solution. Do NOT eat at the restaurant there. Service and food is NOT good. But that is for another review. Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, nor will I ever stay here again!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. Trust me!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank btlbaby
Paul H, General Manager at Lethbridge Lodge Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Please accept our most sincere apologies regarding your recent stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We believe that it is through the eyes of valuable guests such as you that we can continuously strive to improve. Certainly what you have described is not the norm of cleanliness for our guest rooms and your comments have been shared to our Housekeeping Manager and the Room Attendants. We are in the process of retraining each Room Attendant and providing a thorough inspection of each room for our arriving guests. It is our commitment to our guests to not only provide the personal service we have become recognized for, but to also ensure that the stay is comfortable within a clean room. We certainly recognize that the rooms are a bit dated and we will be improving on this in the future.
Thank you again and we hope to regain your confidence by having you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm unlucky enough to have to stay here twice a week along with work colleagues. The worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. Rooms usually dirty, hairs in the bed, bathrooms not cleaned, noisy (especially on weekends), heating intermittent, hot water often doesn't work (receptionist's response is to "let the water run for 20 minutes"), the internet is barely useable (slowest WiFi for any hotel I've stayed at, and cuts in and out), I could go on and on. It will be the cheapest rate for a reason, but definitely not worth it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank JWyql

Thank you for providing feedback as a regular guest of the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre. We certainly value your patronage and business as a guest who stays with us on a regular basis. We certainly apologize for providing you a less than positive experience as we recognize that our Hotel is your "home away from home". We are in the process of upgrading the services you mentioned and I am confident that within a short amount of time you will recognize these improvements. Of course we will continue to maintain and enhance our personal service offered to our guests and provide a top of mind cleanliness standard in a hotel that we recognize is a bit dated in appearance.
We look forward to your continued support.

Sincere Regards,

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Where do I start. Unfortunately I've stayed here a few times as well as a few coworkers. Here's what we have to say:
- Luke warm showers
- Rooms were cold/heating did not work
- Noisy halls (especially on the weekend - lots of sports teams stay here so not ideal for the business traveler)
- Dirty rooms (from toilets, beds to previous guests' garbage still present in the room)
- Wifi is mediocre at best
- Dated rooms (apparently getting upgraded - yea, maybe next decade)
- Attitude from some front desk staff

You might be saving a few bucks but your money is better spent elsewhere. It used to be a top-notch hotel in Lethbridge but it's gone way way way down hill. I can see they're attempting to make changes but it's unfortunately at a snails pace.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Bill_R2013

It is with sincere apologies that your stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre has been less than positive. Thank you for sharing your comments as well as being a regular guest of the Hotel. We value and appreciate your patronage and business. The Lethbridge Lodge has been of service to our valued guests for the past 30 plus years and we believe that we offer sincere personal service to each and every guest. Cleanliness is top of mind as we know that the decor is a bit dated and we continuously strive to exceed our guest's expectations regarding this. Of course we will strengthen our efforts based on your comments and are appreciative to do so.
Thank you again for your continued support as we are indeed making changes and certainly apologize that these are taking the necessary time to implement. However we are confident that the improvements will be recognized and appreciated.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stay here a lot for work, as do my colleagues. Our experiences have been very negative. Frequently there is NO hot water in the morning, so don't plan on having a shower! It is extremely loud with the bar and atrium. The rooms are terribly outdated, and a lot of times they're not even fully cleaned when we go in there. There's no drinking water available, other than to buy. Any other hotel I've been at (a lot by the way), provides water coolers in the lobby and/or gym. Not this place, and I wouldn't touch the tap water! The heat/AC doesn't really work, and is just more noise then temperature control. The best part is when the staff issues rooms that are already occupied! Nothing like having a complete stranger enter your room in the middle of the night! This place should be SHUT DOWN!

NOT recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank cory m

I am so sorry to hear that your stay at the Lethbridge Lodge Hotel and Conference Centre has been less than positive. You indicate that you are a regular guest of the hotel and for that I want to thank you for your patronage and business. The Lethbridge Lodge has been servicing our guests for the past 30 plus years and is regularly recognized for the personal service provided by the employees of the Hotel. We are also recognized for the tranquil setting of the atrium which is alive with natural light, botanical gardens and running brooks of water. Our pool and lounge is set amidst this wonderful area and many of our guests appreciate the distinctiveness of the atrium.
Thank you for sharing your comments as we strive to ensure that our guests enjoy a comfortable and positive stay at the Hotel. We place cleanliness at top of mind knowing that in some ways the decor is a bit dated. However we do have plans to improve on both our services and decor of the hotel in the future.
Again, we appreciate your patronage and valuable comments and do hope that we continue to offer you the personal service we have become known for.