“Do make a reservation”

Ranked #7 of 84 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Funky, upbeat, family owned restaurant with a globally inspired, locally sourced menu.
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
“Do make a reservation”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

After reading up all the great reviews on Tripadvisor of the restaurant, we decided to try it. Since we didn't make any reservation, we had to wait for a table. This place is crowded and popular so do make a reservation first if you wish to go there.
The service here is good and the food is pretty decent. I ordered a steak. It was cooked to the correct doneness but was rather small for such a steep pricing.
All in all, it's one of the better restaurants in Jasper but I do feel that it is rather pricey.

1 Thank SandieFossen
Cyndi D, Owner at Evil Dave's Grill, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thanks for your positive review. We're glad we were able to get you a table and hope the wait wasn't too long. August is definitely our busiest month. We take four reservations every half hour and try to have some tables left for walk in guests. Our kitchen is pretty small and we only have 60 seats. Sometimes people will come to the door and see empty tables but we have to space out the seatings and save tables for reservations. Thanks again for dining with us.

• Hebrew first
Banff
“One thing is for sure - it is damn good”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I didn't know what to expect from the monniker Evil Dave's but it revolved around more of a roadhouse/bar - than what it was. I thought it may be a place to sit at the bar and watch TV while bottles of beer were flung around. This isn't that type of place - nor did it need to be. What I found was a casual busy upmarket restaurant where the decor was decidedly - undecided. With food that good, you can honestly serve it up and name it however you please. The flavours and fusion of the Diablo Chicken was a master stroke of genius. The consideration of putting gluten information on the menu without having to ask was the mark of consideration that will lead me back there every time I travel to Jasper.

1 Thank sekaitraveller
Cyndi D, Owner at Evil Dave's Grill, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thanks for your kind review. The El Diablo is one of most popular dishes and highlights the global fusion dishes we serve. Our menu features several gluten free dishes as a growing number of our guests expressed a desire to eliminate it from their diet. Thank you for choosing to dine at Evil Dave's Grill!
Oslo, Norway
“Great Steak”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

On a mini road trip with a friend back in May, we stopped in Jasper for one night. Looking at Trip Advisor, we decided that the best option for dinner was Evil Dave´s Grill and as I had been in Calgary for three nights without having steak, that that had to change!

The menu did seem expensive, but I loved the vibe of the restaurant. Our waitress was helpful and friendly and recommended a great bottle of wine to go with our steaks (one of the Malbecs). Both steaks were cooked to perfection, medium rare, and the meat was so tender. Amazing!

It wasn´t a cheap meal, but for steaks of this quality and a great bottle of red I would recommend it.

• Visited May 2013
Cyndi D, Owner at Evil Dave's Grill, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed dining with us. Our beef tenderloin is Alberta AAA and although we're biased we think Alberta has the best beef! Our main courses range from $22-$36 with most dishes around $24. Our appetizers are $7-$19. We strive to use the finest ingredients and prepare all of our sauces from scratch. Being located in the Canadian Rockies and 400km from the nearest city does make everything a little more expensive. Thanks for dining with us.
Calgary, Canada
“Does not live up to expectations or high ratings”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Went here because of the high ratings on Yelp and Trip Advisor and this was one of the few times when TA ratings failed me. It's a nice-looking place, with cozy and cute decor, service was good, wine was good - but the food was quite average. In fact if it wasn't for service and ambiance, I'd give this place as poor (2) instead of average (3). I ordered something as simple as salad and asked to add grilled shrimp for an extra cost: the salad that came was not fresh, the greens were wilted, the dressing was way too sour, and the shrimp looked and tasted as if they were grilled yesterday, and now just nuked in the microwave... I couldn't eat them. My husband ordered something that sounded like a mexican-inspired dish, but it came as something half-mexican, half-indian - didn't taste like either one and left him disappointed. We will not return here next time we're in Jasper.

Cyndi D, Owner at Evil Dave's Grill, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I can assure you we make every dish to order and never microwave our food. Had your meal complaint been brought to my attention I would have removed the item from your bill. Sorry your dining experience did not live up to your expectations but thank you for your praise for your server.
Lihue
“Poor: Food, Atmosphere, Value and Bad Attitude”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We visited this restaurant for dinner shortly after they opened for the evening on July 25, 2013. This meal was one of many during a ten day vacation in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. It is literally the only restaurant with which we were totally disappointed. We would never go back there nor recommend it. We get the trendy concept, but it had zero character, no ambiance, dark (and not in the romantic sense), chairs were uncomfortable and music was too weird and loud to be trendy. Our server, a young woman with brown hair in a pony tail and a loud voice, had a very poor attitude, was abrupt, grumpy and frankly very strange. She pushed my menu on to the table while I was holding it to rudely emphasize a point regarding their purchase of farmed salmon, which I had overlooked (in tiny print). I am not from Canada and don't know anything about fish selections in Alberta. Her attitude was awful and put us all off immediately. We asked for bread for our daughter and she said she would bring focaccia. She later brought white toast with nothing on the side and charged us for it. At $30 an entrée, you don't offer bread? We ordered a brie appetizer, which was average and came with the same bland white toast. We ordered a halibut entrée and a salmon entrée, both around $30. Both came with white rice which had no flavor, and the "sautéed mixed vegetables" were the same for each entrée, mostly white onions and maybe bell peppers sautéed in what seemed like oil, kind of like leftovers you would throw together from your fridge for an omelet. The food did arrive promptly. The halibut filet itself was generous and tasty. The salmon was not. There was nothing about this restaurant which would warrant the prices they charge and we left totally disappointed. We went on to have two other dinners in the Jasper area, just minutes from this restaurant, with comparable prices but food, ambiance & service that made this place look like a dark, dirty fast food place. They should make some changes.

• Visited July 2013
Cyndi D, Owner at Evil Dave's Grill, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I'm really sorry your server started your evening off on the wrong note. No excuse for poor service. Ever. Please accept my apology.