“This is what sushi is supposed to be! Must try the Octopus!!”
Review of Oka Sushi

Oka Sushi
Ranked #22 of 91 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Oka Sushi is a small, intimate sushi bar located on the Beauvert Promenade at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Run by Sushi Chef Tatsuhiko Okaki, Oka Sushi is a favourite among guests and locals alike. Sushi is always on the menu, with products shipped in from Japan and Vancouver. Any sushi lover will appreciate the high quality and warm customer service of this charming sushi restaurant.
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

After reading numerous great reviews I was hellbent about going out for sushi at Oka's.

They do take reservations at 6pm and 6:30. Keep in kind this place only seats 14 people; 10 at the bar and two tables of 2... It is tinier than you are imaging. You can fibd it in the basement at the Jasper Park Lodge.

We failed to make reservations and hadn't realized they are closed on Sunday and Monday (winter hours) We arrived at 7:45pm and really lucked out with being the first to get seated post reservation crowd.

Feeling adventurous we let Mr. Oka make whatever he wanted for us. I don't normally eat a lot of sashimi but I would highly recommend it here. We had raw albacore tuna, salmon, a chopped scallop roll, little sweet shrimp from Greenland, squid (the only thing I would pass on) Everything had a clean, fresh taste to it, the way seafood should be.

Mr. Oka gets his fish shipped 2-3x a week from Vancouver, you can tell he really takes pride in his work and only wants to serve the freshest fish possible. We also had a salmon skin roll and I will never be able to return to the inferior one we get from our reg sushi place at home.

I did tell the server I wasn't a fan of Octopus, she convinced me that this was the place that would win me over and she was right. It was served on rice with lemon and salt, it was delicious, texture was wonderful and who knew that it would be the one thing that I would be craving once I got home.

We did spend more on sushi here then we normally do but it was well worth it.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went to "Mr. Oka's" (aka Oka Sushi) last night. Having spent a considerable amount of time in Japan, we are generally underwhelmed by the quality of sushi in Alberta, but we were very pleasantly surprised by Oka Sushi. It's very small and they don't really take reservations, so you take what you can get there. Four of us sat at the sushi bar so that we could talk with Mr. Oka as well as watch his skilled hands work their magic on the fish and seafood. We declined to order anything specific and allowed the sushi master to come up with whatever he felt like. This included an octopus head roll, several mixed rolls, lightly seared hamachi and scallops and various sushi assortments, all accompanied by hot sake. The only thing that was a bit of a disappointment was the toro, but this was not due to the sushi master. It was pretty clear that the toro was not as fresh as the other fish. Still, what does one expect in December in Jasper National Park? We had a great conversation with the sushi master and other people at the bar, the service was spot on the entire time and I would highly recommend others go there. Do not be put off by some of the other comments about Oka Sushi (e.g., no hot food) and try it yourself, but be prepared to arrive as soon as they open (6pm) or wait until someone leaves as it only seats 10-12 people at a time.

1  Thank Bonasa
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Lovely little spot with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Priced very reasonably for quality and quantity. A must if you're in Jasper.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place served great sushi. Crowd was great. Nice small place tucked in the Fairmont. Service was good. Im surprised that there isn't more sushi restaurants in Jasper though

1  Thank Jason D
Reviewed November 5, 2012

You'd never believe you're this far from the ocean at Oka Sushi with the fresh fish he has available. A cozy sushi-only restaurant in the Jasper Park Lodge that serves the best sushi around. Excellent prices too!