“Fantastic as always!”

Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Food was excellent, as was the service. We have eaten here several times over the years and have never had anything less than a first class experience. II had crab legs and my husband had the Arctic Char special. Both were fantastic (but our experience has been that all of the seafood dishes are to die for). Don't miss it if you're in Jasper -- a bit pricey, but not considering the quality you get.

1  Thank Carol K
There are newer reviews for Fiddle River Restaurant

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I dined at this restaurant at the suggestion of the host of Hummingbird Crossing B&B, and we were glad that we did.
The restaurant staff is very friendly, and explains the specials of the day at your table.
I had an elk sirloin with gooseberry juice and my husband chose a smoked wild salmon. Both dishes were garnered with a very original and tasty choice of vegetables.
The presentation was very beautiful, and the elk sirloin was succulent.
It was by far the best meal we had during our entire trip through Canada, and although the price was slightly higher than we would normally spend, we found the quality of the food was worth it. Highly recommended.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Thank you to this restaurant for the best meal of our trip to Canada. We didn't mind paying a little more to eat here as it was beautifully presented and cooked to perfection, The staff were very friendly and welcoming, nothing was a problem. We are so pleased we chose to eat the lobster and crab legs here!....Yummy.

1  Thank annacd
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We’ve eaten at Fiddle River on many occasions, most of which we were very pleased with. Last year I had to post a negative review after having a very bad experience there.

I’m happy to report that we gave Fiddle River another chance last weekend and it was excellent.

The service was very good this time and the food was awesome. Didn’t much care for our table but we didn’t make a reservation so I guess that’s our fault.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Did you ever hear the line, that if you want a good steak, don’t go to a seafood restaurant. That is true in my story. I chose this restaurant, as my husband loves seafood and doesn’t get enough, I also chose it as they had Char Broiled New York Steak, on the menu and that’s what I love. They also had many other interesting dishes such as Brome Lake Duck, and Cherry Bomb Rack of Lamb.

I went to great lengths to explain to the waitress that I wanted my steak “pink” inside, and asked her to explain to the chef that I wanted it “pink”. Well, when my meal came, and several bites into it, it was obvious, the steak was well over cooked and not a bit of pink was left inside. My husband had the lobster and shrimp skewers, and he loved his meal with the coconut rice.

Service was somewhat slow, and by the time the waitress returned and I explained to her that the meat was well over cooked and not an ounce of pink in it. She apologized and asked me if I would like another one prepared, but by that time, my husband was half way through his meal.

So if I would have said “yes” cook me another steak, the rest of my meal would have been cold and my husband would have been long finished and we wanted to do other things that evening. So I opted to eat to eat my $28.50 meal that was not prepared to my asking. What a disappointment, we don’t go out often for meals at this price, and this was a special romantic meal without our kids.

The waitress was kind enough to remove my $9.00 glass of wine from our bill as compensation, but I wasn’t willing to risk a disappointing dessert too, so we went elsewhere for that.

The overall ambience of the restaurant was bright and cheery, kind of country style and doors open at 5pm. Tables fill up very quickly and if you want a seat by the window to watch the street activity and the train yard, you have to get there right at 5pm. The waitress will bring in front of you a big chalk board with today’s specials on it to pick from too. By the time we left at 6:30pm, the restaurant was 75% full.

If you asked my husband, he would have told you what a fantastic meal he had, mine was a big disappointment. If you go to this restaurant, stick to what they know best, and that’s seafood. If you want a good steak, don’t come here, go to a steakhouse that knows how to cook meat.