“Good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Earl's Restaurant

Earl's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 84 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: American, Bar, Healthy, Canadian
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Westlock, Canada
“Good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

On our recent trip to jasper we went for supper to Earls. Nice atmosphere and very helpful staff I changed my mind after we placed the order and it was no problem to change it. Beautiful view of the mountains and on a nice day you can sit outside on the balcony. The only thing is there is a flight of stairs to go up to get into the restaurant and there is no elevator!

• Visited September 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
“Nice view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Upstairs with a great view of the mountains at Earls is a great place to have tea, the Ribs were delicious and the service was very good. We started off with the cheese dip which was a high light and finished with an Irish coffee which was disappointing. But all up a good place to eat.

Canmore, Canada
“Great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We had dinner at Earl's on October 9th and found the food excellent and the atmosphere fairly nice for a large place. It was a bit noisy because it is a family restaurant with quite a few kids. The servers were attentive and the service fast. Highly recommended for families.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Paul K
Nanaimo, Canada
“First (and last) visit to Earl's”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We chose Earl's for a casual birthday dinner for my wife. We selected it mainly on the breadth of their menu--we do not always share the same taste, so smaller restaurants with limited menus can be problematic. It was also a bit of a last-minute decision, so we didn't have time to solicit recommendations from our colleagues who've lived in the area longer. We recently moved to Jasper from the Vancouver area, where we had heard good things about this chain of restaurants. Unfortunately, it was a poor choice.

The good/acceptable:

1) We were seated very quickly, albeit at a less desirable table overlooking the servers' prep/staging area and right near the point-of-sale station where people tended to congregate.
2) Our server came to the table and took our drink orders right away. He also gave us time to look over the menu and make our choices without hovering.
3) The "field greens" salad was not spectacular, but definitely acceptable.
4) The crust on the prawns & pesto pizza we ordered for an appetizer was quite good. There was an OK amount of prawns, though $15.00 still seems a bit pricey.
5) When I requested a side of bread to accompany an unsatisfactory main course (see below), the server responded and delivered the bread promptly.

The bad/unacceptable:

1) The pesto on the pizza was quite bitter--either not freshly made, overcooked, or both.
2) My wife's main course, the 9-oz. top sirloin, was not cooked properly: about 1/4 of it was medium, but the rest was much closer to medium rare. Perhaps we should have sent it back, but we tend not to want to go through that aggravation, or the wait, unless the meal is totally inedible. Also, the exterior of the meat was nearly charred, so unless they started with a whole new steak there wasn't much rescuing to be done.
3) My main course, the "Mediterranean linguini" did, in fact, border on inedible. I like acidic foods, which is why I didn't hesitate to order a dish containing tomatoes, peppers, olives, and feta. However, either the kitchen staff were off-recipe that night or the recipe really needs to be adjusted. I saw no sign of the promised grape tomatoes (which, though acidic, might have helped), and it appears that they may have substituted a double portion of the roasted red peppers. That might have been OK too, except they were not freshly roasted red peppers but the kind that are marinated/packed in vinegar. End result? The entire dish was totally unbalanced and basically tasted like pasta with a bottle of vinegar poured over top.
4) When I expressed my unhappiness with the dish, the server did ask if I would like something else; however, we were already well into the meal at that point and needed to make it an early night, so I chose to tough it out. I feel the server missed an opportunity to appease us by offering something else, such as a complimentary dessert or beverages (one pop and one glass of house wine). My wife and I are both servers by profession, so know something about "guest recovery." Instead of being proactive and offering a solution, the server put the burden on us by saying "let me know if there's something else I can do for you." We found this an awkward approach. He did end up discounting my main dish by 50% on the final bill, but it felt like too little, too late.
5) After our unsuccessful main course experience, the server inquired if we'd like to see a dessert menu ([** perfect opportunity to offer us a dessert on the house!**]). We declined and asked for the bill, which we didn't receive until 15 minutes later.
6) It wasn't until the server returned to the table with the bill that he asked my wife if she would like a refill of her ginger ale. The glass had been sitting empty, and visible, on the table for more than 30 minutes. Another failure.

Altogether, we were really disappointed in our experience. We are now permanent local residents, and though we are not particularly big restaurant spenders, we do definitely make repeat visits to places we like. We also have several hundred colleagues with whom to share our opinion, so this represents a real loss of potential business for the restaurant. Some changes really seem to be in order.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank sarahlab
Stony Plain, AB
“Needs a little attention to the food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Dry ribs were just that - very dry and overcooked. Caesar was soaked in dressing and wet. Waitress was very attentive and showed the staff the problem immediately and did not charge for the salad. The house pizza is very good and is recommended.

Visited October 2013