“Great value in Jasper”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Manitoba
“Great value in Jasper”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We had difficulty finding a hotel in Jasper (especially on short notice) that was within our budget and in the town of Jasper - we wanted to go there to meet family that was also vacationing there.

We read several reviews on hotels in Jasper and also searched all over the net to find a hotel that we thought we'd like (and could afford on a tight budget).
This hotel proved to be best hotel (they had a package available that proved to be within our price range) for our needs. We are fairly discerning - I don't like to stay in the "party" hotels, and I'm fussy about cleanliness.

I have to say we were very happy with our stay here. The staff exceeded our expectations regarding service on all counts. This was a very clean property. The lobby left a very good first impression.

The only negatives as such - it's a bit of a walk from downtown - ok for my family and me, but too far for my elderly father-in-law. (We could have probably called a cab though.....but the issue didn't come up for us as we had a car available).
I would have liked to see recycling bins in the hotel rooms.

The hotel had a pool which looked nice but we didn't have time to use.

They also had a restaurant and lounge area-both looked good, but were fairly pricey, so we went into town.

It was a very good experience - the staff made a huge impression as they were very professional.

• Liked — Staff, and clean hotel
  • Disliked — Everything was good-except it was a bit of a walk from downtown (not a problem for us-but could be for others).
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
England
Reviewed August 17, 2008

Stayed at the Sawridge for 3 nights at the beginning of August 2008. Found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. When we booked we were offered breakfast vouchers. We were not sure what this would provide but turned out to be the full buffet breakfast for free. Our room was facing the outside with a balcony and was large and comfortable. I would not have been keen to face inwards, looking down on the dining room and swimming pool. There were 3 options for eating - the more expensive dining room, a sports bar downstairs full of hay bales which was dark and empty on all nights we were there. We ate there the first night on our own - apparently Wed night is their busy night. We ate in the upstairs restaurant the other 2 nights where the atmosphere was better, the food very good but the air con very cold - I had to go and get my jumper mid meal one night. The hotel lacked a lounge bar separate from the restaurant where you could enjoy an after dinner drink. The gift shop had a good selection of goods. The hotel is at one end of Jasper but we did not find this a problem as we had a car. Good nearby attractions are the Jasper Tramway, many hiking/biking trails round the nearby rivers and lakes and Maligne Lake. It was round Jasper that we saw the most wildlife of the holiday - bears, elk, mountain goats. I preferred the small, more uncommercialised Jasper to Banff, which while lovely, was far more of a tourist trap.

• Liked — the free breakfast
  • Disliked — Sports bar which seemed surplus to requirements. Had no atmosphere and was dark.
florida
Reviewed August 5, 2008

The sawridge inn is exactly what I expected after reading the previous reviews. This hotel was fine for the price. The staff have all been very nice. The rooms are not great but adequate. We did upgrade after reading previous reviews. The pool and jacuzzi are fine. The hotel did say they had laundry facilities, but neglected to mention that meant one washer and one dryer. There were long waits if you want to use the machines in the evening. The location is okay a little far from town, but not many hotels are closer. We were very impressed with the food and the staff in the Hearthstone lounge. They were very nice and accomdating and the food was better then the restaurant that had very high ratings in town. When booking I asked for specials and found that the bed and breakfast deal was the best value. The breakfast included the buffet which was nice with many selections.

• Liked — value, great staff
Layton, Utah
Reviewed July 30, 2008

All hotels in Jasper are expensive, and many have negative reviews. Even though I was booking six months in advance, some hotels in Jasper were already sold out. After extensive research, I reserved a room at the Sawridge Inn. My final bill was $522.62 for the two nights.

The hotel is a giant courtyard in the interior and the rooms are arranged around it. Either you have an inner courtyard-facing room, or an exterior outdoors-viewing room. My room faced the courtyard. Looking out my window, I could look directly down onto the people dining below. One morning, I opened the curtain and had a shocking view down a woman's cleavage who was eating breakfast.

The room was hot when I arrived, and there was no external ventilation. I turned on the room air conditioner, and it was extremely noisy. I found the source of the vibration, and jammed a wash cloth in the unit...which seemed to help. The room was never adequately cooled by the old (perhaps 1970's? vintage) control unit.

There was a severe problem with the hot and cold variance in the shower. As you were taking a shower, suddenly the temperature of the water would turn to scalding. This was extremely alarming. My understanding is that there are devices hotels can use to prevent this; obviously they are not installed. This hot surge happened every time I took a shower (sometimes more than once).

The formal dining area is in the same atrium as the pool. During my stay, noisy children seemed to be in the pool during all hours the pool was open. If you attempted to dine during this time, the ambiance was ruined by screams and splashes. When eating a late breakfast, we were forced to shout across the table in an effort to overcome the background annoyance. In addition, you could smell the pool's chlorine from our table.

If you do decide to book a room, try to find out about the "breakfast vouchers". Our waitress seemed surprised that we did not have them. We had to pay full price for the breakfast buffet. The cold buffet seemed like a much better deal than the "hot" buffet; the pancakes and eggs were not worth the extra $$.

The "fitness room" consisted of two pieces of older cardio equipment in an extremely small room facing the pool. There were no weights. For a hotel of this size, two workout machines are completely inadequate. The hotel should not be permitted to advertise a "fitness center".

There was free WiFi in the room, but the keyboard/TV interface was an additional $10 / day.

There was a coffee maker in my room and a small refrigerator. The room was clean. We had two double beds in the room, which made the small room feel cramped.

The hotel is the last one on the main drag through town. It is too far to walk to the downtown restaurants and back. You have to drive and try to find parking.

Due to the high price of the lodging, I ended up being unhappy with my stay at the Sawridge. Next time I will look for lodging outside of Jasper. I would rather spend two nights in a tent than pay that high price again for a room with nothing special.

• Liked — In the town of Jasper
  • Disliked — Cost of room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis,IN
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This hotel was nice and relatively close to town but there were a couple problems. First maid service was a bit sloppy. It looked as though someone started to set up the room and then got distracted and forgot to finish it. For example only 1 towel for 2 people. We did request more and got them quickly. Also the food in the restaurant was so so. Several in our group complained the prime rib wasn't very good and the pork was dry. I had trout and pasta both were good.

Belfast Northern Ireland
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Stayed for 4 nights in the Sawridge but wasnt impressed by this hotel. The location of the hotel is a major drawback as it is right on the outskirts of Jasper and not convenient as it was a good walk into the centre of the town. Room was fine and large. Thankfully we had an outside room with balcony as i wouldnt have liked to have an inside room overlooking the pool and restuarnt which could have been noisy. Staff were not that helpful in reception or in the restuarnt. Had a buffet breakfast each morning during the stay which was good but the dining room was freezing even in the summer. The pool was small but adequate. During our stayed we never used the evening resturant. After leaving we discovered items had been added to our bill which we hadnt used and when we checked out we were told that there was no charges to our room but later we discovered that they had charged us venetually we did get our money back. Average hotel

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Location, Unfriendly staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Pen10poppy
Staffordshire
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We have just returned from the Canadian Rockies, including a three night stay at the Sawridge. Whereas I would not describe our experience as 'terrible', for the money paid, it certainly was not good. The room we had was ok and located on the exterior with a balcony overlooking the petrol station. Many rooms in this hotel are interior facing rooms overlooking the atrium - pool area or dining room. Guests complained that many of these rooms were dingey. Staff were not unpleasant but did not go out of their way - the front desk alleged not to have long distance telephone connections, the bar served us two wrong meals and the staff at breakfast claimed they had no butter one morning. Talking of breakfast, the buffet was not good and poorly cooked. Eating in the atrium restaurant can be noisy from the swimming pool - but even if not in use the smell of chlorine is hard to igore. I think we were quite fortunate in our experience, but during our visit numerous individuals, both from coach parties and travelling independently had many complaints. Jasper does not appear to have the standard of accommodation say found at Banff - but I'm sure there must be better value hotels. We certainly felt that we had wasted our money for the service provided at the Sawridge.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple