“Elegantly prepared meals” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Raven Bistro
Ranked #2 of 83 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: Moroccan, Mediterranean, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Moroccan, Middle Eastern with European-Canadian Flare
Chicago, Illinois
“Elegantly prepared meals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

My family (two grown teenage daughters, my husband and I) ate here for dinner and we were very impressed with the service, taste and presentation of the food. I had an asparagus and phyllo appetizer that was delicious. The rest of the family had the "Burma" spring roll appetizer that was both beautiful and tasty. For mains, one of my daughters had the seafood hot pot which was amazing. Everything else we ate was great but the BEST was the raspberry pie for dessert. The pastry is fantastic and rolled beautifully thin, light and flaky. I am a pastry maker myself so appreciate a really good one.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank CEA63

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
“Gluten free”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

Ordered gluten free option and was told they would substitute rice for the couscous which they did. However when handed the bill they charged extra for the rice! In fact my wife had the same dish with out the gluten free option so that she received couscous and pitta bread which of course was left off the my gluten free meal. This meant that not only was I charged extra but they also saved on me not having the pitta bread. Not a very happy conversation ensued regarding this very poor practice which led to a very bitter ending to what should have been a very nice meal. Sticking a wafer biscuit in the gluten free home made ice cream was the last straw!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Rescue, California
“OMG, What a Find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

Our host at the B&B recommended a couple of places for dinner which I'm sure would have been good. However, when we passed by the Raven and looked at the menu we were hooked by the chef's creativity. We were not disappointed, and this was by far the best meal we had on our 2,500 mile road trip. I would say the prices were mid-range, and the value terrific. I only wish the Raven was not so far away.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank 10sTroy
“Stuck up service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

They do not accept reservations after 6:30 and we were told that the wait would be 45 minutes but that we could wait at the bar. They would not let us leave to walk around a bit and return to the front of the queue. OK, We said we would stay. Then we were told that we would have to pay our bar bill before we were offered a table. Wow, lots of rules to this place! I agree with the reviewers who said that they act as though they are doing you a favour. As soon as we sat at at the bar, with no explanation, they plopped their enormous dinner menus in front of us as if suggesting that we should eat our meals there as others were doing. No thanks! Then after a few minutes of not opening our menus, a table mysteriously became available. And then another one. What's that all about? The waiter was nice enough but impatient so it felt like we were imposing upon him when we asked questions about the menu. We had to catch him on the fly all the time. The food was ok. The calamari app is breaded and fried and was unacceptably greasy. I could not eat it. I ordered the Asian seafood noodle dish which was basically a Tom Yum soup but with a ton of salmon and a few shellfish. It was very tasty. Another of us ordered the Halibut on mashed potatoes which, when we called them that, we were corrected that they in fact Truffle Mashed potatoes. Meh, they just tasted like potatoes, and they were seized up to boot. The halibut steak was flavored with maple syrup which ruined it. You just don't do that to halibut! Overall it was not bad but it definitely has an unhappy and stressed staff who are forced to impose a bunch of rules which make their customers feel badly but which maximize their table sittings. That definitely ruined it for me and I would go somewhere else next time.

3 Thank evan12345
Brampton, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Raving about The Raven Bistro in Jasper”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014

My family recently overnighted in Jasper. Had dinner at the Raven. Delightful and comfortable atmosphere. Visitors felt most welcome. Varied and delicious menu. Professional staff. A classy gem. Will return at earliest opportunity.

1 Thank Frank L