“Exellent breakfast”

Sunwapta Falls Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 90 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The restaurant is attached to the Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We had quick breakfast here, and everyone enjoyed their meals. Not cheap, but value for the money is ok.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were staying at the hotel, which I have reviewed elsewhere, but did eat in the resaurant, and it was done well with a good menu and service

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Good service... Delicious and fresh food... I don't recommend to stay at Hotel but you may eat in Restaurant...

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We have reviewed the Sunwapta Lodge itself elsewhere, so this goes for the restaurant only. With no competing eateries within the next 35 miles you might fear that the kitchen staff would maintain a fairly relaxed attitude in preparing the meals. So it is definitely not so. Everything was well prepared and top quality!
My wife had a wonderful coldwater Rainbow trout with wild rice and crisp lettuce. I had wild boar belly with garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli. The boar was great when you allowed yourself to indulge in tasty fat banned on any other ordinary day.
The service and the ambience was great. So if we actually lived in Jasper I think we would gladly travel those 35 miles every now and then to have such a treat.
The price tag reflects the quality and is also justified by the remote and impressive mountain location.

2  Thank Finn Spurre P
Reviewed October 3, 2013

A coffee shop serving passing coach tours by day, the Endless Chain Ridge Restaurant warmed by a large fireplace is transformed into a wonderful and intimate dining room by night.

Located about 45 minutes south of Jasper, and about as isolated from civilization as you can get, the Sunwapta Falls Resort restaurant is among Jasper National Park's best.

The service is excellent. Attentive and friendly staff ensure your dining experience is as good as it can possibly be.

Meanwhile the menu is varied and of the highest quality, representative of all the traditional foods in the region. Alberta is famed for its beef. Rainbow trout is a favourite local fish. Bison and elk are the game meats of choice and all are served with a continental flair.

Some might say the restaurant is a bit expensive but in recent years I have found that food prices in the Canadian Rockies has gone up noticeably everywhere. Considering that everything has to be trucked in from Jasper or further with no other nearby business to defray delivery costs, I'd say the prices are not out of line with what should be expected of such a remote locale. That said, I am happy to say that the prices in the menu are worth very penny.

While the average price of a main course is just over $20.00, the elk pot pie was $32.00 and <i>la piece de resistance</i>, tenderloin of bison and elk came in at over $50.00. Naturally, I chose the tenderloin offering and could not have been happier with my choice. The portions are excellent. Not too much but not too little. Albertans like their food but not excessively so. :-)

The wine selection was limited but it appeared to be excellent- with one reservation: they have no wines from France despite a small selection from several countries. So I made do with an Australian red. As disappointed I was for having to choose something other than a French wine, it was an great match to the tenderloins, especially the elk.

Meanwhile, breakfast is served in a sunroom behind the fireplace. As bus tours pass through on a regular basis during the day, it was nice to see that Sunwapta Falls Resort reserves this quiet space for hotel guests to enjoy their breakfast in peace.

The menu selection was varied and reasonably priced considering where it is located. Just as it is with the evening menu, everything has to be trucked in for you to carry it out again, so to speak. So $12-$13 for a good-sized breakfast is completely reasonable.

The first morning I had the standard 2 eggs, bacon, toast and potato chunks. The potato is worth mentioning: they were among the very best potato cubes I've ever had at breakfast time.

The second morning, I had a bowl of their homemade granola and toast. The granola was like none other I've ever had (in a good way). It was plenty to get me through to lunch.

If you're in Jasper and are considering the options for an 'experience' meal, I'd seriously consider Sunwapta Falls Resort if I were you. Actually, while you're at it, if you're considering an 'experience' in the Canadian Rockies, I'd have my excellent, world-class evening meal and then spend the night there too.

And why not? You will have come to the Canadian Rockies for that away-from-it-all feeling, right? The Sunwapta Falls Resort and Restaurant will tick all the boxes.

3  Thank Brian R