“Great beds, eventually got used loud feet”
Review of Tonquin Inn

Tonquin Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Edmonton
“Great beds, eventually got used loud feet”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Customer service was great.
Rooms were clean and very nice.
TV's were very bad (small and alot of static).
Beds and pillows were very comfortable.
Can hear alot of banging from loud walkers on floors, need to be sound proofed. Maybe that blue underlay sound proof barrier.
Overall i would say 8.5 out of 10

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa
Reviewed February 13, 2010

My husband and I were on the tail end of our trip out west and didn't want to break the bank with another overpriced hotel! A couple we met while travelling recommeded this establishment and we're so thankful! (thanks Bruce and Jen ;) ) Food is delish, service is warm and friendly and the grounds are beautiful. I wouldn't waste time or money on any of the other so called 'luxury' hotels in the area. Feel free to email directly if you have questions! Can't recommend this gem enough! We'll most definitely be back next year!

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Alberta
Reviewed February 5, 2010

First of all I am pretty picky when I book a hotel room, that said I struggled to find an acceptable hotel in Jasper that wasn't going to break the bank, and even the priciest ones didn't look that great. Well after searching the web for reviews I finally selected the Tonquin and was wonderfully surprised at our room. We booked a one bedroom family suite with a full kitchen. We brought our teenage girls and gave them the bedroom which has a queen bed, desk, and dresser (no TV)( their mess was out of the way). My husband and I slept on the other queen bed which is in the main living area. Main area has comfortable love seat, coffee table, dining table with 4 chairs and a full kitchen (needs a frying pan). The bathroom was clean and served it's purpose. The staff was friendly and the service great. The pool was nice and there are two outside hot tubs and one inside hot tub with the pool. Downside is that we had to go outside and walk a fair bit to access the pool. Our suite was on the second floor (hauling up groceries was fun) and we faced the highway and railway so it was a bit noisy during the day, but night was fine (and we had he window open) All in all, this was a great suite for a family and we will book here again. Don't bring groceries, we found an extra food store and the prices were reasonable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Grapevineswine
Vancouver
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I was heading to Jasper for business, and outside of the paradise outside - found an amazingly welcoming place to call home when I was inside.
The Tonquin has huge rooms, and the kitchen could of helped me whip up a meal for 20, if I was so inclined. And honestly there was only one staff member that didn't greet me with a smile and a hello - and that's cause they were walking in a different direction. But given how often this happened, it caught me off-guard that they didn't suddenly turn my way with this greeting.
It really was a welcome retreat, not that one needed retreating from the Christmas card-like experience of wandering this wintery town.
Anyway, I heartily recommend the Tonquin. And remember your swimsuit (which I didn't) for the outdoor hot tub, which looked incredibly inviting.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Stopped off in Jasper on a road trip around Alberta. Having looked at places in Jasper it appears that many seem overpriced for what they offer. So we picked the Tonquin in as it was the cheapest of those with free rooms but I would not say cheap. The front desk staff were pleasant and check-in was swift. However, the room was nothing special but I guess you could say it was in a traditional style. It was later on that the lack of any sound proofing became and issues as if people are walking along the walkways or going up the stairs it is very loud in the room. The ventilation was also not great as it was very hot in the room. Finally it is located pretty far away from the main section of restaurants/shops in Jasper but parking is a nightmare.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aschoc

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Edmonton
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We booked a 1 bedroom suite for Dec 25-28. Because we have dogs we were told we had to stay on the main floor. The first two nights were reasonable for noise but the third night was terrible. It sounded like elephants overhead. We tried to ask the front desk for help and they advised they'd send the night watchman past. It didn't address our concerns.

Overall the space is smaller than what you can find next door at the Marmot where they do allows pets on the top floor.

The room itself did provide a kitchen and a woodburning fireplace. But on the ground floor the view from our living room was limited to the parking lot and provided little natural light.

Temperature control was an issue - if heat was on it was very hot and the only way to cool was to open windows.

We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen F
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I recently stayed at the Tonquin Inn twice. The first time weekend we stayed there it was a slow weekend in Jasper because we were there before the ski hill opened, but after the summer activities closed. We were upgraded to a King Suite for free which was nice. The hotel had some decent looking reno's done to the rooms which was also nice. The only draw back was that the King bed had a queen top sheet on it so my wife and I fought a bit for sheet supremacy. The staff was friendly and helpful. The pool area was nice, though a little run down feeling.

We decided to use the hotel again when we went skiing a few weekends later with friends. We got a room with two doubles. Had a few snacks and drinks in the room on the Friday night we got in, laying on the bed. When my wife was ready to go to bed, she pulled back the covers and.... BUGS, lots and lots of BUGS. It still gives me the shivers. Then she flipped over the pillow and there were a ton more, some almost the size of a penny.... Needless to say we called the front desk right away to send someone up so they could see it for themselves, and started packing our stuff.

They did not charge me for the room, and I asked them to pay for the dry cleaning of my clothes which they agreed to. Then we left. That said, I don't know how spread the issue is there, but I wouldn't risk it again myself.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CrossTCOB
lissyb, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
On behalf of the Tonquin Inn, I would like to assure readers that this was an isolated incident and not at all the norm for our property. We take the cleanliness of our hotel and comfort of our guests very seriously, and took immediate action to rectify this situation internally as well as with the guest.
Elisabeth Bahner