“Overstuffed room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Jasper
Floral Park, New York
“Overstuffed room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our room was stuffed with furniture. So much so, it was impossible to get from one bed to the other, or to get to the windows, or just the other side of the room if someone was sitting at the desk. This room might work if you want 2 double beds for family & kids. But this really s/b a one bed room [either queen or king]. It would make navigation & utilization of the room much better. And it could definitely could use a chair for seating.Our room came with a breakfast buffet, but we were on a tour, so that might not apply to all.Pretty good restaurant attached.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at the Maligne Lodge. Your feedback regarding the furniture is greatly appreciated and has been forwarded to our head office. We hope that we can welcome you back to the Maligne Lodge on your next visit to Jasper.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lacombe, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel staff was nice and let us check in a couple of hours early, It was not a bad walk to down town and the resturants. We had the weekend brunch in the hotel - the food was cold and seclection poor ie fresh fruit meant oranges and old bruised apples, baked goods meant bannna bread, the French toast was good though. We didn't eat dinner or lunch in the hotel resturant, so cannot comment on that/ Our room wasn't cleaned very well during our stay.- The hotel decore is dated and dark , but the beds were comfy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Tonquin Inn. I am glad to hear that my staff were nice and that you found our beds comfy. I am disappointed to read that the cleanliness of your room did not meet your expectations and I have forwarded your comments to my Executive Housekeeper. I am also forwarded your comments to the Restaurant owner as we do not operate this facility.
Thank you again for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Edmonton, AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is a little dated and could use with a few rennovations. But, for the price, you can forgive some of the little worn corners, if they got the little things right. As other reviewers have said, the beds and pillows are really great - super comfortable and nice to sleep in. But, we had a room with two queen beds, with only three towels. There is a hot tub and pool that you need to take your own towels to, so that meant one of us had to use our pool towel for our shower towel. We were also only provided one facecloth - for two of us, that means one doesn't get one. I also was not impressed with housekeeping. We stayed two nights, and our coffee wasn't replaced (as in, they did not provide us with a new package) and none of our glasses/mugs were washed (disclaimer - I have worked in hotel housekeeping - I have a good idea of what should be done). I know these are small things, but these are the little things that make you look past the worn interior, and when these are missed, you really doubt how good they are doing other things.

One last tip - DO NOT fall for the breakfast! They promise "fresh fruit" and baked goods - the "fresh" fruit was either canned peaches or pears, or apples and oranges that were probably from last season, and the baked goods were muffins in packages (obviously not bought in Jasper). The cheese had been out so long that the corners were hard and curling up, and most of the hot food was stone cold. If you do go for it - eat the french toast - the only thing we found edible on the buffet.

All in all, it isn't bad - especially at that price point. There is an outdoor hot tub which is nice, and the beds are quite comfortable, but when they forget some of the small things, you wonder what big things are being forgotten.....

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for submitting such a thorough and helpful review of your recent stay at the Tonquin Inn. I am glad to see that you found our beds and pillows super comfortable and I agree its the little things that make the biggest difference. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with my Housekeeping Department. I have also passed on your comments to the Restaurant owner, as we do not operate this facility.

All of the staff and management hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is a really great hotel for a great price. The rooms are cozy and you can request to have a microwave and a kettle in your room on top of the coffee maker they already provide. That along with the mini fridge gives you everything you need right inside of your room.

The gym is great compared to most gyms I usually find when traveling. The only complaint I have is that they don't open it until 8am, which is too late in my opinion. I'd like to be able to work out and get going earlier some days, but that's a minor complaint.

Even at the busiest times, I never heard a lot of noise from other hotel guests or cars on the road. It's in a great location too, walking distance to the city centre and close to Pyramid and Patricia lakes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments about your recent stay at the Tonquin Inn. Great price, great location and cozy rooms are some of our many selling points. I am glad to see that we were able to accommodate you with a microwave and kettle. We appreciate the time you took to share your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your return visit.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had no reservation, drive in at about 5pm. The receptionist, a young lady called Skye was so helpful and happy to give good service.
we were shown four rooms and made our selection of a room with sensational views of the snow capped mountains. Best room at the best price...Vey happy....
Stayed one day, then we were so happy we stayed a second day.
Room King bed, fridge, microwave, good linen and extra good pillows. we used the indoor swim pool and jaccuzi... third floor and elevator...
i would recommend this hotel and i would stay at anytime in the future.
Russell........from Australia

Room Tip: room with a exciting view....room 350
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your experience about your stay at the Tonquin Inn. I am delighted to hear that you found us by chance and that you enjoyed your stay and would stay with us again! It is always nice to hear that our staff is helpful and happy to give good service. Skye has not been with us for very long but she definitely has a great customer service attitude.
All of the staff and managment look forward to serving you again on a return visit. Please contact me directly so that I can personally make your next reservation for you.
Wrangell, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent the night here in Jasper on the drive from Utah to Alaska. We arrived late and left early, so we weren't looking for anything spectacular, just a comfortable place to sleep. Taking the advice of other reviews on Trip Advisor, I asked for a renovated room when I made my reservations. I'm pretty sure we ended up getting one as the room was comfortable and up to date. It was the smallest room I've ever stayed in, but that didn't really matter, all I wanted was a bed for the night. My only complaint would be the heat - our room was uncomfortably hot from the time we checked in and the time we checked out despite the thermostat being on the coldest setting. Even got up and opened the window in the middle of the night which kind of helped but it was still too warm.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank krystals34
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Tonquin Inn. We appreciate your comments about the issues you had with the temperature in your room. I have shared your comments with my Maintenance Manager who will be assessing the heating issues. We hope that you will afford us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
East Ilsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed here in May 2012 (sorry, bit dated) as part of honeymoon.

Situated a good half a mile from the centre of Jasper, it is not the closest, but the walk in is straight and Jasper is not a big place.

Good value for Jasper, one of the better prices. I was unsure what to expect as the hotel is similar to a motel in many ways, with a central car-park surrounded by 2-storey blocks. Convenient for those travelling by car.

The rooms were fairly large and clean, no complaints. Nothing looked particularly worn, and the bed was comfy, so really good for what you are paying.

Initially we were put in a ground level room a few metres away from the reception. It was a nice room, but at night the sounds of the nearby stairs and vending machine could be clearly heard, plus, the room is close to both the laundry room (we could hear the drums spinning) and the reception, where cars arrived throughout the night, stopping right outside with headlights lighting the room, rumbling engines and crunching gravel. We did not sleep well as were regularly woken.
So, the next morning I went to the reception and explained the problem. The lady was very understanding, apologised, and offered us an upgrade to a room on the second floor on the far end of the complex, at no extra cost. I didn't want to make a fuss, and this was offered just with me stating the problem, so very grateful for this.
The second room was part of a newer build, and was spacious and comfy, with views out onto Pyramid mountain. Very happy with this room, and the cleanliness.

There is a restaurant opposite the reception (Prime Rib Village), but it didn't look as inviting as places in town.

People said the sound of trains on the other side of the main road was loud at night, but we didn't hear anything, so either we were lucky as no big freight trains went through or this is an issue only for rooms facing that direction.

Overall, great budget accommodation in Jasper with clean comfortable rooms. Just check where your room is before you stay the night and try and get a room on the far side (near the mountains) away from reception. Hopefully the staff will be as friendly as they were when we stayed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near reception. Ask for a room on far side facing Pyramid Mountain - much nicer and quie...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alisdair_c
I am delighted to hear that you were pleasantly surprised about our hotel and that my staff treated you with the great guest service for which we are known. I am especially glad to see that we were able to accommodate you in a different room for your second night. I have shared your comments with all of my staff and please be assured that meeting and exceeding guest expectations is always important to us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tonquin Inn in the near future.