“An average experience”

Tonquin Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
“An average experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed here twice now. It is very...average. We don't spend much time in our room, so the small size has never really bothered us. Rooms are clean and beds are fairly comfortable.

If you want a quieter experience, request a room in the newer section: soundproofing is a little better than in the older section. You don't get a ton of towels, so I would suggest requesting a couple extra when you check in.

It's a great budget option if you're only staying for one or two nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer section: it's quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Clean rooms and comfortable beds are two of the many things we are known for. I am disappointed to read that you did not receive enough towels and have brought this to the attention of my Executive Housekeeper. On behalf of myself and my team, we hope to welcome you back to the Tonquin Inn in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

A friend recommended this hotel and I was looking forward to staying here. The rooms are ok but quite small, maybe a suite would be better. The parking is horrendous. One night we came back after dinner and didn't have a place to park. Between the whole group we had 6 rooms and 5 cars. We took 2 vehicles and both of us were unable to find parking. We went to the front desk and were told that we could park on the street. I was not ok with that cosidering we paid for rooms and typically this includes parking. We were then told that there were many rooms that registered several vehicles to a room. To me this is unacceptable... Poor customer service and I will not be back. One of the outdoor hot tubs was not working and it is the busy season.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ngingras76
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Being located in a National Park presents parking challenges for all hotels in Jasper as the size of parking space allocated for hotels is governed by Parks Canada and is not typical of parking availability at hotels outside of the Park.
We have 2 outdoor hot tubs that are cleaned on a weekly basis as mandated by Alberta Health. To not inconvenience our guests, we clean one hot tub at a time leaving the other one open for the guests to use in the meantime.
I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that our service did not meet your expectations. We take the comfort and overall experience of our guests seriously and we hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to Jasper.

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I've been to Jasper so many times I've lost count and have stayed in numerous hotels. My first stay at the Tonquin Inn was in 2001 and since then this is the ONLY hotel I'll stay in when I visit Jasper. Check-in and out has always been quick and easy. I've never been charged for mysterious fee-fees. The rooms have been small but clean (I especially love the wood burning fireplaces with all the free wood you could want). But the best, absolute BEST part of this hotel is the HOT TUB!!!!! Sure, it doesn't look like much but trust me, if you want a "hot" hot tub and one that you can bring some booze to then this is the hotel for you! Additionally, if you're a smoker then you sit at one end and if you're a non-smoke you sit at the other and nobody cares as long as you're not tossing your cigarette butts into the hot tub (be courteous). Children are usually gone early and then it's free for the adults. I've never eaten there so I can't comment on any of the food served. Never had a problem with parking and have brought a dually on multiple occasions. Also, this place is in a great and convenient location.

Room Tip: Hot tub is a drinking and smoking environment at night (after children are gone) so if this is bothe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cdntraverse
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are happy to see that we are the hotel of choice when visiting Jasper. However, I feel that certain comments need to be addressed and corrected.
Our guests do enjoy the wood burning fireplaces but fire logs are not free. Fire places are reset every day with one free fire log. Thereafter, if a guest requests an additional fire log there is a charge.
There are rules posted in the pool area and in the hot tub area. Smoking, drinking alcohol or consuming food is absolutely not permitted in these areas. Not only does this contravene the Health Board regulations, but also these areas are open to other guests who wish to enjoy the pool and/or hot tub as well.
It is quite obvious from your comments that my staff and security need immediate retraining to ensure that these areas remain alcohol and smoke free for the enjoyment of all of our guests. I can assure you that my staff/security will be more diligent in monitoring these areas so that all guests feel welcome and can enjoy their stay with us.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Tonquin Inn is very easy to locate from either direction when entering Jasper. Peaceful area of the town and a quick drive (winter time) for food and such. Rooms are very well serviced and furniture are nice while the actual building is getting a little dated. Large indoor pool and spa with a gym overlooking it. Free wireless is always appreciated.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and free parking. I am especially happy to hear about the service you received and that you found your accommodation clean and well maintained. Our fireplace and kitchen rooms are always well received by our guests. All of my staff and myself look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Jasper.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Excelelnt location, right in heart of city, close to stores and gas stations (Very imp) gas stations are difficult to find in hilly areas and have premium prices sometimes). close to places to eat.

Rooms were very clean and well maintained, have a fireplace, utensils if you want to cook, and very good concierge.

(Close to sight seeing spots like Lake Malign, Athabasca falls and Columbia Glaciers.)

Parking is free.I was very happy with their service.

Room Tip: find deals or look for package deals. Book well in advance. Have a nice trip.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
We are definitely in an excellent location - close to many services that our guests require and enjoy. Its always a pleasure to hear positive comments about our hotel in particular our clean rooms, our amenities and our excellent service. Your feedback has been shared with all of my team. We hope to welcome you back soon on your next visit to Jasper.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

First the good-- the beds were very comfortable and clean, and a microwave is available upon request. The bad-- there is not enough parking. We had to park on the street and we returned to the hotel at 7:30. I am not sure where anyone else would have parked that came after us. The restaurant only had a buffet in the morning. My son is on a low sodium diet, so cannot eat much from a buffet. A morning menu would be a nice touch. The bathrooms are tiny. The worst-- do not book this hotel if you are coming for the pool, it is freezing cold. Many people complained to the front desk staff and their answer was always " we checked it and it is at 27 degrees". I doubt even the hot tub was 27 degrees. Other patrons also agreed it was max 15 degrees, even the kids couldn't get in it. I would stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Traci L
Thank you for sharing the experience you had during your recent stay at the Tonquin Inn. I am glad to see that you found the beds comfortable and clean and that you were able to have a microwave on request. Unfortunately, being in a National Park, parking is a problem with all hotels in the town of Jasper - a problem that cannot be easily resolved due to our location. Yours comments regarding the restaurant will be shared with their management as we do not manage the restaurant ourselves. The temperature of the pool and hot tubs are checked on a daily basis to ensure we are within Alberta Health regulations. However, I have forwarded your comment to my Maintenance Department to make them aware of your concerns. We would love the opportunity to gain your loyalty back and look foward to welcoming you on your next visit to Jasper.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We booked a kitchenette with 2 queen beds. The girls at the front desk were friendly and check-in went smoothly. Our room was clean and had the kitchen in the middle so it was a nice separation from the back bedroom. We brought our own food to cook to save on the restaurant bills. I would suggest bringing your own frying pan as they only supply one and it is not a non stick pan. Also bring paper towels and a sharp knife.
When we were there the hot tubs were hot and the swimming pool was fine.
The only thing stopping me from giving this place a 5 is the very thin walls. You can hear the people in the suite next to you if they are loud. You also hear the people walking past your door in the morning.
The back bedroom has less noise. We put the boys in there and they said they could not hear anything. We stay up late so the noise did not bother us except in the morning. Bring ear plugs if you like to sleep past 6.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without someone beside you if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank itchintogo2
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
The Tonquin team would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay with us. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed our kitchnette room. I have forwarded your comments to my Executive Housekeeper to ensure that all of our kitchenette rooms are up to our equipment standards. All of the staff and myself hope that you were able to take home fond memories of your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.