“Comfy!”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Calgary, Alberta
“Comfy!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My daughter and I took an opportunity to get away for a quick weekend trip. We needed to take our dogs with us and found that Tonquin Inn accepted dogs (at a reasonable surcharge). The location of the hotel was outside of the "core" of Jasper, but a very easy walk to the shops and restaurants.

The room was a bit cramped with 2 double beds, so there was no room for the dog beds. No big deal though. It was very clean and that's what matters to me. The beds were very comfortable and the noise was almost non-existant! Even the frequent trains weren't heard.

The front desk staff was pleasant and professional. Check in was smooth, as was check out. My daughter realized that she'd left her camera in the room and we were able to go back in without any trouble.

We'll come back to the Tonquin again!

Room Tip: Though the trains come through town slowly (thus keeping the noise to a minimum), I would still ask...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
I know first hand what it is like travelling with pets and we, at the Tonquin Inn, welcome pets as part of the family and try to accommodate their needs. I am glad to hear that the front desk staff was pleasant and professional and that your room was clean and the beds comfortable. I will definitely forward your comments to all of my staff as its their hard work and dedication that ensures our guests keep returning. Pleae be sure to contact me directly for your return visit and we will be sure to take excellent care of you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were travelling as 4 adults during high season in Jasper and looking for something more than just two standard hotel rooms. The Tonquin Inn advertises an Executive two bedroom suite which looks quite nice on their internet site. When we arrived we were shown to a two bedroom BASEMENT suite which didn't resemble the suite shown on their site in any way. The living room was dark and cramped, the ceilings ultra low, the windows gave you a nice view of the tires of the cars parked alongside the building. One of the reasons that you come to Jasper is to enjoy the beautiful scenery - not look out your windows at car tires! I returned to the front desk to ask about changing rooms (the room on the internet must be there somewhere) but was informed that all other rooms were booked. I then expressed my dissatisfaction with paying over $400 Cdn for the room for which I received no response from the reception clerk. We checked out the next morning at which time I expressed again my concerns to the reception staff. Two of the staff turned around and walked out of the room while the third proceeded to process my payment without making any comments at all.

There has to be better options in Jasper than this - for both room quality and staff attitude. I live in Alberta and visit Jasper occasionally but often make recommendations to travellers to Banff/Jasper National parks. I won't be staying or recommending Tonquin Inn in the future.

Room Tip: Avoide the BASEMENT Executive Suite and all costs!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hdigabtt
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Tonquin Inn. The property has 10 suites - each one is different from its location, to its layout, to its furnishings. Consequenly, showing all of the configurations on our website becomes a challenge. We are presently reviewing our website design and will forward your comments to my Head Office. What concerns me is the lack of customer service you received from my Front Desk. This is definitely not to the standard that I expect for my guests and will be immediately following up with my staff. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly so that we can discuss your experience further.

Travelers are raving about these Jasper hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We only dined here so will confine comments to restaurant.
It is a very elegant venue with interesting painting on the walls.
We were made to feel welcome by both the owner and our server called Gail.She, I might add was very efficient had good knowledge of the food and wine list.
They seem to specialise in steak,ribs and seafood but our food was delicious and the vegetables were cooked to perfection.

This is a place you must try when in Jasper.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yes - the Prime Rib Village is the place to go for prime rib, seafood and other food options while in Jasper. Your comments will be shared with the owner and the staff. I am delighted to hear that you had a good experience and that you would recommend this restaurant to others.
nottingham
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Looks lovely on arrival, Chap on reception was ok, didnt appear overly friendly, but got us checked in and explained that we could get a voucher for breakfast direct saving a couple of dollars. Rooms are fab, soooo comfortable and lush looking. all facilities you need, small rooms but well equipped. nice pool and spa, outside hot tubs and sun beds dotted around the garden which amazingly we used as it was HOT! young staff wondering around who were really friendly and helpful (I asked if there were pool towels and the young chap said just a min, went off and bought me lovely hot fluffy towels). Later I realised that I had left an item of my belongings at the previous hotel which was in Lake Louise and around 3 1/2 hr drive each way. I went to reception to ask where a payphone would be (thinking this would be cheaper than the hotel room phone) ENDA was on reception, a lovely, very tall and super helpful guy, he asked why and when I explained about lost belongings he got on the phone and basically sorted out for the previous hotel to send my item free of charge on a bus which would be coming up the next day, I cannot thank him enough and to the management at Tonquin, Enda is an outstanding member of your team, whenever we popped in and he was on duty (over 3 days) he was always helping/advising or generally making himself useful to people.

we were able to see wildlife, eat good food and enjoy our stay at Jasper. A nice town (bit of a walk, but good after a meal) plenty of places to eat and access to all the sites of town.

We stayed in room 365 which was on the third floor - no lift so could be a struggle, but wide stairs. rooms very quiet didnt hear any neighbours, spotless and extremely comfy, all things you need.

attached restaurant provided a great breakfast for $12 buffet style, get voucher from reception.
good location to town if you dont mind a bit of a walk, great staff. worth the money.

Room Tip: top floor for any views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
WOW - totally brill!! Its always a pleasure to hear such positive comments about the property and the staff. Its especially great to see that Enda went above and beyond to ensure your stay was pleasant. I will definitely forward your comments to him. We pride ourselves on providing excellent service to all of our guests. All of the staff and management hope that you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Jasper and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Jasper.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of our Canadian honeymoon. It's a 10-15 minute walk into town from the hotel but it's a nice walk! At check in we were told that we could get breakfast for $12 instead of the usual $16 at the restaurant on site so that was good even though we didn't avail of it. The hotel was really quiet during our stay but then the whole town was quiet- apparently after thanksgiving everything pretty much shuts down 'til the ski season. Free wifi in rooms- always a plus.
Had a nice clean and modern room on ground floor right beside outdoor hot tubs! Room was a little stuffy at night but not too bad, nice big tv. Sink in room and not in bathroom. Had a lovely soak in the hot tub on our 2nd evening. Any staff we dealt with we're nice.
Enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to friends!

• Stayed October 2012
Congratulations on your recent nuptials. I am delighted that you enjoyed the property with all of its amenities and that the staff met your expectations. Thank you for choosing the Tonquin Inn and allowing us to be part of your celebration. Be sure to contact me directly should you be coming to Jasper on your anniversary so that I can personally look after your reservation for you.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We arrived at the Tonquin Inn on September 9, 2012... Out of season maybe??? Don't know!
The room was smaller than expected but comfortable enough for just the two of us. The air conditioning unit is standing in the corner of the room turned towards the first bed and whoever gets that bed also gets the flow of air (cold or hot) right on their body and face. We were there for 2 nights and the room was never made up... So, it means that when we came back from visiting the beautiful little town on day two, we found the bed undone, the washroom not cleaned and the wet towels we had left behind after taking our shower in the morning. That also means the coffee bar had not been replenished. My husband had to go to the reception to get 2 bags of coffee as well as new towels and they didn't give him any 'facecloth'. The last morning we arrived to the restaurant downstairs for breakfast and were told that we had to rush to get something in the 'buffet' within 15 minutes because they were starting preparing for the lunch. It cost us $480.00 for the room - grossly overpriced.

Room Tip: The Tonquin is NOT centrally located and for us, seniors, it was a long walk from the shops, cafés...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
I appreciate your comments and feedback about your recent stay at the Tonquin Inn. I am disappointed to hear that our housekeeping services were not up to the standard I expect for my guests. I will definitely address this with my housekeeping department, The restaurant is open for breakfast from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, but as we do not manage the restaurant ourselves, I will pass on your comments to the Manager. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve on a return visit. Please contact me directly so that I can personally take care of your reservation for you.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed for only one night in a queen size room which looked to have been recently renovated. The room was small, but enough for one night and very clean. The gentleman that checked us in was lovely! He was able to provide some great information of the local area for us and told us of all the facilities at the hotel. The bed was comfy and we didn't hear any noise from other rooms. A lovely experience in Jasper.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
It;s always a pleasure to hear positive comments about the property in particular our renovated rooms, cleanliness and our friendly staff. I will be sure to share your comments with my Front Desk and my Housekeeping Department. All of my staff and myself hope that you were able to take home found memories of your visit to Jasper and your stay at the Tonquin Inn.