Bear Hill Lodge
Marmot Lodge(Jasper)
Filia Inn(Jasper)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewshomemade granolaqueen cabinheritage log cabinsingle bedhot tub and saunagas fireplacecentral heatingbreakfast was excellentminute strolla lovely place to staythese cabinsstay there againcontinental breakfastwithin easy walking distancestayed here for nightswalk into townroom was clean and comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2007

While visiting family in Edmonton, my husband and I were taken to Jasper for a one night's stay. My aunt booked the deluxe chalet suite for 6 of us. It was 2 rooms and very nice, but it was more for a family than 3 married couples. One of us would have had to split up. My husband and I were ok to do that, but it was decided we would get our own cabin. We ended up staying in one of the forest cabins. It was totally adequate for us. The night was chilly and the gas fireplace was our only source of heat and it did a great job. Don't know how it would do in a raging snowstorm with below freezing temperatures, but we were very cozy! We did not eat the breakfast provided since we had a kitchen to cook in available to us in the suite. I made coffee in the morning, while my husband went next door and made breakfast for everyone. The suite was nicely furnished. Had great down comforters on the beds. Decent sheets (not threadbare like other places). The deck on the back was large and the view was woodsy. We were able to have a fire in one side of the suite. The other side where my parents stayed had a fireplace, as well. However, when we tried to light it, the flu was clogged or something, because the smoke alarm went off and the room started to fill with smoke. (We did have the flu open.) I'm glad the smoke alarm worked! We doused the fire and opened the windows. When told the next morning at the front desk about what had happened, they were very apologetic and gave us a $25.00 discount off our bill. It was convenient to walk to the shops. Fantastic views of the Canadian Rockies are all around you. Not having ever been to this part of the world before we thoroughly enjoyed our time at Bear Hill Lodge and would be happy to stay there again.
On a different note, Jasper National Park is absolutely beautiful! We drove the Icefield Parkway and stopped at the Athabasca Glacier. We drove up Mt. Edith Cavell until the road became covered with ice and we didn't want to venture up anymore without a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Saw some gorgeous scenery, some elk and mountain sheep. I can't wait to go back and stay longer!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank happytravelr
Reviewed October 10, 2007

We arrived in Jasper without pre-booking a hotel so we weren't sure what to expect and were going to stay in a private residence. We eventually chose to stay in the Bear Hill Lodge which is at the end of Jasper's main road. It's like a motel but the room was clean and staff friendly. Best thing is the included breakfast which hardly anywhere seems to offer. Buffet contintential breakfast with really good muffins and cereal, tea, cofee, juices and fruit.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Peanutchina
Reviewed September 15, 2007

It's a clean, functional, safe and comfortable place. Located in the quietest area of Jasper town but very close to good restaurant options (after all Jasper town is quite small). You even get the chance to see wildlife around the cabins early in the morning.

It's not expensive compared to other options in Jasper Ntl. Park and has everything you should expect from a place of its characteristics. However, do not expect luxury and charm...

I recommend this place if you are not willing to stay too much time at your hotel/B&B and just want a quiet place to sleep and rest after the day trips and hikes.

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MiguelMR
Reviewed August 11, 2007

On our trip through the Canadian Rockies, we stayed here in between two much fancier hotels (Fairmont in Lake Louise and Banff).

This place was much more reasonably priced, even for prime season. We had a cute little studio, which was more like a large room with a couple of beds in a large cabin split into four units. We faced back, which gave us some privacy.

The front desk, which is very efficient but they don't go out of their way to offer assistance. We encountered a slight problem and the girl working the desk at the time was a good mixture of clueless and unconcerned.

The continental breakfast was decent, if a bit pricey for $8/person. Go into town and you'll get more for your money, especially if you want to eat simple.

Overall, this is a great value and a well kept property for Jasper, and we got to enjoy an elk the morning of our checkout enjoying "breakfast" of the bushes and flowers on the property. Oh, and even though you don't come here to watch television, the tv's could use an upgrade in the rooms for that downtime after activities.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MattNY
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I booked the Heritage Cabin with two bedrooms, for four people for one night. I was a little concerned with this property as I had read a few negative reviews, however, I was pleasantly surprised.
Upon arrival the cabin was clean and tidy. The place fits 4 people comfortably. I think it would become uncomfortable with more than four people. The bedrooms are cozy and will only fit one large suitcase. The kitchen is self contained and has the basic appliances that you need for a stay.

The property is approximately a 5 min drive into the town of Jasper.

Recommendation: If wanting a quick brekkie or lunch recommend the Bear Paw Bakery. Great little bakery and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends