“Wish we had stayed longer”

Pyramid Lake Resort
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Boulder, CO
“Wish we had stayed longer”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

We stayed three nights at Pyramid Lake Resort. It was the highlight of our 2 week vacation in the Canadian Rockies. The location is stunning. Our founder's cabin had a beautiful view of the lake through a large picture window. The resort is quiet and restful, but just a 10 minute drive to Jasper. We had breakfast and dinner in the dining room and would highly recommend it. I don't know why this resort has received some bad reviews. We also stayed at Chateau Lake Louise, but wished we were back at Pyramid Lake. We booked here because it is dog friendly (and the dogs loved it here, too - especially the lake). But we would go back again, even without the dogs. We enjoyed the hiking trail right from the resort, and kyaking in the beautiful lake.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coalcreek11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Stayed for a couple of days in mid-September, just as the off-season rates kicked in, which was a bonus. Rented one of the Founder's Cabins, as I had my two little dogs with me. It was a lovely, large room with very nice amenities, including a little fridge, coffee/tea service, good television, very comfortable bed. This property is on a beautiful lake about 10 minutes drive outside Jasper, so I found it very quiet and peaceful. I highly recommend the hotel's restaurant, as well -- the food was excellent and unlike some others who have reviewed this hotel, I did not think it was overpriced (supper entrees are in the $20 to $30 range). A special note: as a single woman in her 50s, I am quite used to shoddy treatment in restaurants, presumably because of some outdated notion that women do not tip as well, but the wait staff at the hotel's restaurant went out of their way to make me feel welcomed and comfortable. I have only one criticism of this hotel -- I was surprised to look up in one corner of my room and find a rather large collection of cobwebs that appeared to have been there quite some time. While the rest of the room seemed very clean to me, I did think the hotel should instruct their cleaning staff to look up once in a while. But it is a cabin and it is in the woods, so I can be forgiving of a few cobwebs. Overall, it was a very satisfying experience, and I have every intention of going back -- except that next time, I will stay longer.

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank mumpy
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2009

The Pyramid Lake Resort is located in one the most beautiful places on the planet. I have been to the Rocky mountains hundreds of time and Pyramid Lake is truly one of the most picturesque places there is. The resort is located right on the lake and a perfect distance from the Jasper town site (close enough to go for dinner but far enough to feel totally secluded).

We stayed for one night in August for a promotional rate of $129 for a two bed room. The room was great, clean and had spectaluar views. The bathroom was nice and featured spa toiletries and good towels.

Two things happened to mar our experience. First, the bed collapsed off its frame around 8 p.m., just from someone sitting on it. A call to the front desk eventually got a repairman to come and inspect the damage. The frame had previously broken and an amateurish repair gave way and new bed frame was needed. The hotel was full,so we could not move to a new room. It took 2 and half hours to remedy the situation. The management did give us vouchers for breakfast and a half hour canoe rental. We did have breakfast in the restaurant and it was quite good. As the weather was not great the next morning, we did not go canoeing and the front desk staff did adjust our bill upon check out. While inconvenient, the staff did everything they could to make the best of the situation, including vaccuming under the bed before putting the new frame in place, and bring all new linens.

The other thing that disturbed our experience was that the guests next door had two large dogs that they allowed to roam off leash along the shared deck/balcony. The dogs barked as other guest approached. When I complained to the staff that I thought this was not good thing, they said that guests signed a pet behaviour agreement at check in, but they did not speak to the guests. Clearly the staff did not feel empowered to actually enforce the rules the guests had agreed to.

Overall I think it is a great location. The resort could use a little sprucing up. But I thought the staff were helpful and the hotel above average.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank pengAB
Burlingame, CA
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night during our vacation through Jasper/Banff area. We had a bit of a time locating it because there isn't an actual address. The people manning the front desk were extremely busy, but still managed to be courteous and helpful. Our room had a spectacular view of the Pyramid Lake and the surrounding mountains. There was a nice deck outside to relax on and a corner fireplace inside to snuggle by. There are flowerboxes at the entrance which gives it a european flair. I think our location was better than the other buildings up the hill which overlooked the parking lot., not that they didn't also have wonderful views of the lake etc. Our building had lovely trees to view and just felt really special and romantic. There are many hiking trails right on the property. Make sure you hike to the island while you are there. There are canoes and bike rentals available too. There is a restaurant onsite. Otherwise you have to drive back to town for food. I would highly recommend Pyramid Lake Resort. At least visit the lake....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LavenderHydrangea
Edmonton
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Hotel is not that bad as people described in some reviews. Clean rooms, TVs, pool.
From negative point - rooms are whithout air conditioner (hotel calls it "green" approach or "fresh" air approach or something like that). I understand we are in Jasper, nights are cool enough, but still, I don't like to open windows in hotels. I prefer air circulation.
When we decided to turn in for the first night we noticed a "nasty" stain on the duvet cover, front desk were very accomidating and had it replaces the next day. On the third night the smoke alarm went off at 1:45 AM in our room, it was replaced the next day.
We almost fainted when we heard the price, they could at least serve breakfast to add a little value. Location is alright, you get easily "downtown" by car. We have stayed in nicer hotels for less money.
In 35 years of annual visits to Canada, this is the first time I have felt "ripped off," prices were sky high, it was obvious Jasper's residents were going to fleece the tourists for every buck they could regardless of the return custom.
Shame on you Jasper.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank duski
California
Reviewed July 2, 2009

The staff was very nice but the property was not a nice as we had hoped. It could use a little TLC. Had breakfast at the restaurant and it was ok but pricey for what we got. Paid $320 CAD for a "suite" and it was pretty small. Not a lot of room for suit cases and there was not shower upstairs, just a tub. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank AnerCalifornia
winnipeg
Reviewed July 1, 2009

paid twice as much as a hotel in Banff that had alot more room. Upon arrival the fireplace did not work - when I called a serviceman came quickly and said it was a faulty switch -however it worked great the rest of the night. I phoned the desk as I was chilly and could not seem to get the thermostat to work - was advised the heat was in the tiles - however - they never did warm up.

the view could be lovely - however after paying the same price for 2 nights stay in Banff we felt we did not get good value for our dollar.

As well on goggle earth this hotel showed being downtown - we found out that was becuase of their post office box - the hotel was actually 5 kms north - was a little shocked at that remote location - although it was nice.

Also - do you have a swimming pool???? Literature in hte room said you did - however the robe on the door said --- although we do nothave a swimming pool -??? I was confused - I was not advised where the pool was upon checkin - so I assume you do not have one.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple