“Great Atmosphere”
Review of Whistlers Inn

Whistlers Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Reviewed November 1, 2007

We stayed 2 nights at the Whistlers Inn. We had booked a standard room but were upgraded to a suite on arrival. The suite was on the second floor, front corner. We expected it to be noisy with the station across the road, but it was OK. There was some noise from the bar below us, but it was quiet when we went to bed. The bar is frequented by both guests and locals and serves a good selection of food and drink. The suite had space and the bathroom was good, although a little dark. Car parking is limited at the hotel, but there is some on street metered parking nearbye. We would recommend the Whistlers to everyone.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Golden-mole

Reviewed October 6, 2007

We stayed here for 3 nights 26th - 29th Sept which didn't include a weekend.

I think the Whistler needs to decide whether it wants to be a pub or an Inn/Hotel.

There are three main sides to the Whistler - The front which faces the main road and the train station and which seems to be the preferred side, the back which faces the car park and includes a covered area for smokers from the pub and a long side area which is over the pub. Despite booking in Febuary we were on the second, and highest floor on the side area, but not directly over the pub however, we started to hear the noise from the pub at 02.300 - 03.00hrs as people talked on the pavements often shouting or using very loud voices.

I have never stayed in a place were the bed linen is put on horizontically and where the covers only reach 2/5ths of the bed. I had to remake my bed each night. I agree that money does need to be spent especially on the bed linen as the counterpains are bobbly and rough.

My husband used to say 'you get what you pay for' but not any more. We paid £122/night via our travel agent and this place wasn't a patch on the Pacific Palisades in Vancouver at £93.60 a night.

My advice is to try and find better - this Inn is OK for younger people.

2  Thank TiggerDerbyshire
Reviewed September 21, 2007

We spent 2 nights at this hotel in a deluxe room for a total cost of $552.20 CAN and felt that it was very poor value. The only things that seemed to make it deluxe were that it was quite large and it had a decent view.

The linens and bathroom were very clean and the location was central. The staff were helpful and pleasant. That's all the positives taken care of.

We stayed in 9 hotels on our tour and I only, at last, signed up to tripadvisor because I wanted to reinforce others' views that this is a hotel which needs a cash injection and a makeover asap. Virtually everything is very dated and in need of replacement. The bedcovers looked old and plucked and there were small stains on items of soft furniture.

On the second evening we watched TV but the remote didn't function properly. After I'd reported it, a pleasant young lady arrived with replacement batteries and she couldn't get it to work properly either. She smiled sweetly and told us that it did work sometimes! My husband then asked her if she thought the tap in the bathroom should be as difficult to operate as it was. Again, sweet acknowledgment that it was a bit difficult and then she left. We were bemused and also thankful to be leaving the next morning.

Our previous hotel had been a very good Hampton Inn in Kamloops and our next hotel the truly exceptional Pocaterra Inn at Canmore. I suggest the management could do with a little 'sleeping around' to see what the industry standards are these days. They need to raise their game.

Reviewed September 11, 2007

Good

1 - Location - cannot be bettered
2 - Staff - in general - very pleasant
3 - Nice bar attached

Bad

1 - Room I got was very dated.
2 - The cheaper rooms have views of a wall.
3 - The hotel was the most expensive I stayed in during my visit to the US and Canada (stayed in the Delta in Vancouver, Calgary and Banff and the JW Marriott in Phoenix) and this was the only one I felt was overpriced.
4 - The noise the AC makes has to be heard to be believed.
5- Parking is a problem.

Not a complaint - more a groan - had breakfast in the hotel - I ordered ham and one egg (scrambled) - got brought bacon with 2 eggs (fried) - the waitress noticed and said sorry - she would bring out some ham.

Thinking I was getting a "free" egg and "free" bacon - I said okay. The ham never appeared - and I got charged for what I ate - and she added on a tip!! Cheeky ;-)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2007

On a three week vacation, this was the most expensive place we stayed and the worst. The furniture may have been updated, but the beds were old - concaving in the center. The AC is from the 1970s, and very loud. The door to our bathroom was off balance, would not stay open. Our room was over the pub. We were told on the way to the room by the front desk that the music wouldn't be any louder than it was right now (3 PM). Well guess what. At 11 PM the music was much louder. We called down, and they said they would lower the music in the pub, but it had to be on till 2 AM. The vibrations from the bass end of the range comes right up the legs of the bed. My wife, son and myself all had to sleep with ear plugs. Bad night sleep. We asked for a room change, and the only other room we were offered was a room with no windows! (It had two skylights.) We did not change. When I was checking out, the front desk person did not ask me how my stay was. My sense is they know they are way overpriced, and use their high ranking in Trip Advisor to survive. I suspect they somehow influence the ranking - it makes no sense that this is number 3 (number 1 when I booked!).

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Charles333
VHugie, General Manager at Whistlers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2007

As this forum is for traveller feedback, it is not possible for hotel staff or management to manipulate the ratings that are provided on TripAdvisor. Opinions are individual in nature and while we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we are pleased to see that many others do. While we always do our utmost to ensure guest comfort, the volume of pre-bookings during high season and our high occupancy levels occasionally make room changes impossible. Our pricing is average to the low end amongst Jasper's hotels while we provide more amenities than many of our higher-priced colleagues. We renovate the hotel on an ongoing basis so as to keep our rooms in good condition and all of our mattresses are flipped and replaced on a regular basis. Air-conditioning was installed 6 years ago and to date, we are one of only a handful of Jasper hotels that offer it at all.

Reviewed September 7, 2007

Called the hotel to make an additional night accommodation because we were booked for one night thru the Rocky Mountaineer train. Told staff to put a note about wanting the same room with both nights.

Called a few days before arrival to follow up about room assignment. We didn't have the same room for both nights. Asked staff to get us in the same room for the two nights. Staff told me they were very busy and probably couldn't to that. Staff said they would contact us if able.

Amazed to have received a call from staff within about an hour of my call. I felt the customer service was excellent based on that and our interactions with them during our stay.

I woke up sore from the mattresses but our previous lodgings had exceptionally good mattresses. Had the windows open all night and neither I nor the 3 year old had a problem. Jasper is a different situation when it comes to the price of lodging. This is not a $200/night hotel in almost everyother setting I have been in, be it was ok for Jasper.

The location of this hotel is ideal for anyone taking the train. It was closer to walk directly to the hotel after departing the Rocky Mountaineer than to get on our coach transfer. It is close to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2007

Stayed here for 2 nights
Hotel Outdated, Room was clean and functional, Lobby, stairs and other areas in much need of re-decoration and gruby carpets.
Very Overpriced at $217 per night, but Jasper seems to be very expensive.
Hotel right in centre of town, overlooks Informaton centre and the Train Station, Many trains pass this way though we were not disturbed by them.
Teenagers at local club on one night were noisy.
Had some Pasta and Breakfast in the Hotel one day, this was poor. .. Try the Jasper Brewing Co just down the street for good Beer and food.
Staff pleasant.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)