“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Syrahs of Jasper

Syrahs of Jasper
Reserve with OpenTable
Syrahs of Jasper is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 83 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Syrahs of Jasper specializes in regional Canadian cuisine with a focus on wild game dishes, fresh seafood and great vegetarian options. We happily boast to have the 'Best Desserts in Town'. Our comfortable, inviting dining room has a casual elegance and warm atmosphere. Our wait staff look forward to providing you with a memorable experience with our local, sincere service. Our wine list has been hand selected to pair with Chef Jason Munn's menu and our craft beer list is the best in Jasper National Park. Make your reservation with us to enjoy a truly memorable dining experience. "Inspired Food, Exceptional Wine. Friendly, Sincere Service"
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Everything was perfect in this restaurant. Food, wine, very personal atmosphere. I would travel to jasper just for this restaurant. Meat was great, vegetables perfectly cooked and dessert was like heaven. I would recommend everyone to go here!

• Visited May 2013
Coni B, Owner at Syrahs of Jasper, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Happy to hear that you enjoyed Syrahs and we hope to have you as guests again

• Korean first
Prince George, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent, excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I reserved a table here for my boyfriends birthday dinner. It was just the two of us, and it was a perfect restaurant for a romantic dining experience.
The atmosphere was lovely and the food beyond delectable. The service was personable and attentive.

• Visited May 2013
Coni B, Owner at Syrahs of Jasper, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Happy to hear that you enjoyed your evening at Syrahs Hope to see you again We now have our summer menu out which is posted on our website
Edmonton, Canada
“A charming restaurant with great views and great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I took a trip to Jasper this past weekend. We live in Edmonton so we were looking for a restaurant with a mountain view and unique menu. We came across Syrahs and were pleasantly surprised. The decor was charming and romantic. We shared the house salad which was delicious and very different from any other house salad we've ever had. I would never have thought to put artichokes, garbonzo beans, curried corn and radish together in a salad, but wow was it ever a tasty combination. For an appetizer we shared the mussels which were served in the most heavenly tomato-green peppercorn sauce. The sauce was so good, I would've have drank it if it were socially acceptable. For entrees, I ordered the braised bison short ribs, while my boyfriend ordered the goat cheese topped filet mignon. Both entrees were cooked perfectly and the server recommended a wine that complemented both our meals. There is no doubt Syrahs has the best wine selection in town. For dessert, we shared both the heavenly tiramisu cheesecake and sour cherry/hazlenut/chocolate ice cream. Overall, this place had a very unique and flavorful menu, the atmosphere was charming, the service was great and the price was right. We will definitely be coming back to Syrahs.

• Visited April 2013
Coni B, Owner at Syrahs of Jasper, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Happy to hear that you "found us" and that you enjoyed your evening . We now have our summer menu on our wesite
Edmonton, Canada
“worth the trip to Jasper by itself, and approved by my wife”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

An excellent little restaurant with great food and prices not too bad.

But so what.. Excellent little restaurants exist everywhere, and there’s a bunch of them in Jasper for sure.

But honest to goodness this place is very cool. - thanks to D.J. and his universe of wine and beer. For sure you’ll enjoy your meal at Syrah’s if you couldn’t care less about wine or beer, but, (to get the phrase correct) if you could care less - then hang on tight for what some other reviewer I think called “nirvana”.

Gotta love the absence of a wine list - a variety of great stuff, changing always, sits out on the counter and in the fridge for your browsing pleasure - at good prices.. I’ve seen some other reviews here where some found the absence of a wine list a bit of an irritant, but I have to say not me. This is not, to recall the old joke, a “no there isn't a menu - if you don’t see it on the bloody tablecloth we don’t have it” kind of place. It is, rather, a pretty classy place where you get to run around and pick up bottles, lower your reading glasses appropriately, read labels, study the bottles scientifically, provide really sophisticated and smart reactions and sounds and impress the other diners - kind of place. How fun is that! (I like to hold up two bottles at once, make my deepest frown, and determine the best one by weight).

Oh and I did I mention that if the counter and fridge-full of wines and beers don’t cut it for you, then you’re allowed to shuffle off the 25 feet to wine shop next door, also owned by D.J., and grab something there? And this wine and beer shop alone is worth the trip to Jasper (please believe me on that bit at least). Go there, check it out, and tell me if I’m lying. I’m writing anonymously anyway so good luck tracking me down.

If you catch D.J.,, (ask the waiter to give him a call if he’s not running in and out between the two shops - might work...), get him to take you down into the wine shop's lower cellar and maybe, if you’re good, to the "secret" storage room behind the padlock. Where, covered in dust, (the bottles, not you), you'll find some even rarer specimens. And get him talking. You might not agree with everything he says, but there’s a pretty good chance he’ll get you thinking.

What else can I say? - The wife (remember her from the title?) and I are crazy about the place. And, by the way, may I add that the wife, unlike me, (she’ll be happy to point out), really really knows her wines. So there you go.

Syrah’s in Jasper. A good restaurant if you’re not a wine fan, but a truly great one if you are.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KJShort
Edmonton, Canada
“Nirvana in the Mountains : Beyond Pairing Wine to Complement a Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

So you think you know something about pairing a wine that will complement your meal?

Learn a life lesson, beyond pairing, at Syrahs of Jasper, where the owner, DJ, is the Dean of fine spirits.

He owns both the outstanding restaurant, and right next to it, one the best stocked liquor stores that you will ever experience. The two parts operate together, just as the wine ( and other spirits !) come together with the meal.

I started with an aperitif that beckoned me to start this wonderful experience. The soup (smoked turkey vegetable) was tremendous; the beet salad uplifting, and the main dish Vegetable Napoleon, victorious in fully satisfying my palate. Throughout the three courses , I was accompanied, as though arm-in arm by a fine bottle of wine selected by DJ.

So be prepared to go beyond pairing, and to enter into the nirvana of oneness - a dining experience you will savour, enjoy, and never forget !

• Visited April 2013