“Has anyone who reviewed this place positively ever eaten out before?”

Olive Bistro and Lounge
Ranked #20 of 93 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: French, Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Olive Bistro & Lounge offers a unique and memorable dining experience in a casual, yet elegant setting. Whether you chose to enjoy a long decadent meal in the Bistro, indulge in our exquisite selection of tasty small plates, kick back to a signature cocktail on our heated outdoor patio or enjoy a glass of fine wine and a cheese plate in the lounge, the Olive has something to offer everyone. The Bistro features a tasty selection of small sharing plates, as well as an eclectic entrée list using fresh seasonal ingredients. Inspired by the Mediteranean, you will find contemporary and classic cuisine with flavors from France, Greece, Spain and Italy combining perfectly with a touch of Canadian Flare .Come to the Olive and enjoy the finer things in life, delicious food, great wine, friendly service and if you come on the right evening you might catch some live music!
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We apologize for the rude (but honest) review title, but we just don't know where to start... how about with their website... the photo's on the website in no way resemble what this restaurant is serving!

I know we are in the middle of nowhere and cannot expect city quality, but this place is desperately poor... shockingly bad...

Our server did a great job in trying to keep us happy, but she was working against all odds unfortunately....

The prices are staggering for the quality... as an example we had an appetizer that cost $12... it was advertised as a shared appetizer (phyllo wrapped brie with blackberry compote); this appetizer was about 4 inches long (seemed more mass produced than fresh) and was totally tasteless/boring (certainly not enough for 2 people) and was a soggy pastry with a thin piece of brie, and majestically topped with a blackberry. We also ordered wild mushroom canapés, which were small pieces of mushroom on a piece of the same bread that was served before the meal and again, pretty lame.

The restaurant is unbelievably unsophisticated, although the chef (should I say cook) has delusions of grandeur with the descriptions on the menu. The titles of the dishes - and their prices - suggest a significantly higher quality and attention to detail in preparation than was actually provided on the plate!

The chickpea curry was by far the best and about the only thing that was half decent out of everything the 4 of us ordered...

None of the desserts (other than the gourmet banana split wrapped in a tortilla - really - are you serious??!!!!) are home made... really inexcusable...

We finally ended up with a $200 food bill for our worst meal in a long time... and certainly would not recommend or go back...

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We ate here twice on a visit to Jasper. Our first meal was good but on our return visit service was very slow (over an hour between ordering and eating) and our kids' steaks overcooked.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The atmosphere here is nice - welcoming and not so loud you can't hear companions. Our food was above average: baked salmon and bouillabaisse, both very tasty. The price was fair for a nice meal out. The biggest down side was the service. Our server seemed to forget us for long periods - my wine arrived long after the appetizer - and she apologized for the slowness of our entrees arriving.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I live in Jasper, though I'm not in restaurants very often I've tried enough to know this is the best atmosphere, service and food quality I've had so far.

1  Thank Christian R
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Having walked around Jasper trying to find a restaurant that appealed, we finally settled here. It was a good choice: from the outside it looks a little dingy but inside there was a friendly buzz. Our waitress was delightful; she made my review very good as opposed to average. I felt the food was a bit of a let down; it started off well with a tasty Greek salad as a starter but my pasta dish with mushrooms etc was just too overwhelmingly rich for my liking and I left about half of it. My partner fared better with perfectly decent fish and chips. I'd give this restaurant another go but definitely try an alternative to the pasta.