“Expected more”

Jasper Riding Stables
Ranked #11 of 22 Tours in Jasper
More attraction details
Owner description: Jasper Riding Stables on Pyramid Lake Road! Horsebackriding in the Jasper National Park! Trail rides by the hour or the day, carriage rides, pack trips, special events, dine and ride. Come by our stables just a few minutes from beautiful downtown Jasper in the Canadian Rockies! Follow the signs for Patricia and Pyramid Lakes, apprx 4km, turn at the Parks horse sign, the arrow points into our parking lot.
Anglesey
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Expected more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

When reading up on this trip it gave the impression you went right round a lake but the actual trip was mainly through trees with hardly any open trail.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank jeanwales

Toronto, Canada
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“first time on a horse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

and I got to ride high in the hills overlooking the valley, what an exciting view, right on the edge, the horse was gentle, with tall trees all around,

Visited July 2012
Edmonton, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Romantic Carriage ride to dinner.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I booked a Romantic Carriage ride around town and dropped us off at Embers for a romantic dinner. The carriage was so nice and Dale the Chauffeur was great. He is an older gentleman that made the ride even better. He looks the part. If your after something differant to surprise your partner. This is it.

2 Thank Dale D
ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“An avoidable accident”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had arranged a family trip and thought a horseback ride would be perfect for seeing breathtaking scenery. We arrived two adults with two teenagers. The horses were ready and waiting. Our guide Brianne was amazing. She was in front, the two teenagers, myself and then my husband at the rear. His horse - Bandit starting right off not following. He kept veering off the path into the bushes trying to turn back. My husband was told to hold on and pull up on the reins. He did as he was told and suddenly the horse went up on two legs and he held on for his life. When the horse came down he went into a full gallop (downhill no doubt). My husband manged to get his feet free of the stirrups and made the split second decision to get off. He wasn't sure what the horse was doing but he was in fear for his life.
The Jasper hospital was fantastic. Long story short - no broken bones but very severely bruised and on heavy painkillers.
When returned to the stables we heard talk of Bandit having done that before. Apparently he doesn't like to leave the barn without his brother. Really??? When you have so many horses to choose from why even have a temperamental horse in the equation.
My advice to you - make sure to ask for a well behaved, good natured horse. Explain your capabilities and if your horse starts misbehaving demand a new horse right away. It's safe to say my husband and daughter will never ride a horse in their life again. What a avoidable shame. Not to mention my husband is still off work and on heavy painkillers. Ruined the vacation to say the least.

7 Thank screenOntario
JasperRidingStables, Owner at Jasper Riding Stables, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
We take safety very seriously. We very much regret that your husband was hurt.
Bandit has been at this stable for a number of years and, with his pleasant easy going personality, he has been the highlight of many a guest's riding experience. Riding horses is a wonderful pastime because not only are you able to enjoy the view but you can also enjoy getting to know a living breathing creature that will kindly and willingly carry you on their back; as did the horses you finished your ride on. Unfortunately though on the flip side, a horse is still a living creature with a mind of ts own, and sometimes will behave out of character for no apparent reason. Bandit is no longer in our line-up. Next year he will have a totally new job. He will be pulling a wagon. Again, our regrets and it is our sincere wish that your husband starts to feel better soon.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I decided on a two-hour trek as I'd never been riding before.

We paid $70 each and felt extremely short changed at the end of the rlde.

We trotted the whole of the trek, which was tedious, even for me as a nervous beginner, and the scenery was samey, to say the least. Two hours is, in our opinion, too long.

We wonder if it's because we visited Lake Louise first, which was breathtaking.

Our saving grace was our guide, Theresa, who was wonderfully personable and entertaining, and who made us feel completely at ease on our horses throughout the ride. Thank you!

We can't fault the stables and staff at all, we just wonder if they could perhaps rethink their set routes.

2 Thank Clare B B