“Not what i ordered”

Dining options: Breakfast
Windlesham, United Kingdom
“Not what i ordered”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We ordered coffee and two cakes. My husband's 'bear paw' was nice but I ordered a cranberry walnut scone which had no cranberries in it. Polite service and would go back if ever there again though.

Canada
“White chocolate raspberry scone a must!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Be sure to try the raspberry scones and the Aloha muffins. Fresh and filling. Go early because the good stuff can sell out quickly. Reasonable prices.

Victoria, Canada
“Worst Experience Ever”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

First of all, I would like to say that this is the first negative review I have ever written. This was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I was treated very poorly by the manager and I feel it is important for others to avoid having their heart pressure raised from being treated in an undeserved condescending manner. I felt like I was visiting the soup Nazi without the quirkiness.

Here is what happened to me from beginning to end. I got off the VIA train across the street for our 50 minute break. It was my parents’ anniversary and I wanted to Skype them during the break as there was no Wi-Fi on the train and the next time I was going to be guaranteed to have Wi-Fi was going to be on the following day.

The first place I went to was the Chinese restaurant next door. They advertised that they had Wi-Fi on their front door so I went in and ordered lunch and tried to get on the Internet. After it was too late they told me that the owner had just decided to get Wi-Fi but had not yet actually had it installed. The waitress recommended going to the café next door because that’s where she often goes for Wi-Fi.

I had about 10 minutes to spare when I left the Chinese restaurant to find Internet. I arrived at the Other Paw Bakery cafe and explained to the barista that I actually wanted to connect to the Internet before buying anything to prevent the same thing that happened at the Chinese restaurant from happening again. It was also important for me to go about it this way so that I would have enough time to go to the next café in case Other Paw Bakery Cafe's Internet also didn't work. This was when the manager rudely interrupted.

I had taken up about 30 seconds of the barista’s time and there was one other customer behind me who didn't seem too distressed by the additional seconds that I was taking up. I also want to note that I wasn’t even so adamant that I receive Wi-Fi access prior to purchasing anything to any such extent that could fairly be interpreted as exhaustive and problematic. She rudely started spieling out a well-rehearsed series of rules and regulations in a way that was simply unhelpful;

“You cannot use our Wi-Fi unless you are purchase something. This is not an Internet café. We will not be held liable for anything that goes wrong with your Internet use. We will not give you the password unless you purchase something...”

I quickly looked at the menu on the chalk board and ordered the first thing I saw.

“I’ll have an espresso,” I said.

I cut her off to stop her from belittling me in public. I couldn’t even look her in the eye because she treated me in the same way that that one really mean grade three teacher who everybody would run away from would treat me when I would be walking to the bathroom without a hallway pass. She was not at all empathetic to my situation and was not interested in breaking away from her dysfunctional ways of managing the cafe.

The manager went back to her baking and the barista made me an espresso and gave me the password. I now had three minutes left before I had to head back to the train. I moved my stuff over to an empty table and tried to get the Internet working. It wouldn’t work so I kindly asked another barista for a little help. She recommended rebooting the computer and trying again. I turned off the computer and turned it back on and tried to connect again and it still didn’t work. I had less than a minute to spare. I knew that my time was up - time that could have been spent connecting to the Internet at the next café.

I also want to note that I have never had any such problems with Internet connection in the past and am a regular at visiting cafes, buying items, and using their Internet.

I was a little upset at this point knowing that I wouldn’t get to wish my parents a Happy Anniversary. That being said, I am not the kind of person that gives people attitude for my own mishaps. I wanted to talk to the manager again to see if she could help me out in these last seconds and see if there was a step that I was missing that the baristas and I weren’t aware of. I asked the barista if I could speak with the manager and a moment later she came out.

“So, the Internet never ended up working for me.”

Without a moment’s pause she responded,

“Let me show you exactly how it DOES work.”

She went to get her smart phone and came back to show me that she could load a new page on her phone.

Ok, so it had been proven to me that the café’s Internet does work and I had my eyes open to the fact that there may be something wrong with my computer. But she didn’t hesitate at all before jumping right back into the most belittling and sarcastic spiel I have ever heard in my life.

“I told you we are not an Internet café. This is a place for you to buy something, sit down, enjoy your purchased goods, and use the Internet if you need to do something. I can recommend a number of other cafes nearby that actually offer Internet services: (she took a breath to pump up the sarcasm.) (She then listed a number of cafes which I don’t remember.)....Oh, and there’s even a place that can help you with all kinds of technical support for any problems that your computer may have, which I certainly wouldn’t be able to help you with as the focus of this café is not our Internet services.”

I cut her off again from continuing with her degrading nonsense,

“Ok, well can I just tell you something”

“Yes.”

“You’ve been giving me a lot of attitude”

“Yes, I can see that.”

“And I’m going to be writing a bad review for this place.”

“Oh, that would be great! I will certainly be responding to it. I hope you have a GREAT day!”

“Ok, bye.”

Looking back I should have done two things: I should have identified that this person had it in for me for whatever reason and should have simply asked the barista where the nearest café with Wi-Fi was. The second thing I should have done was ask her why she was giving me attitude. Having more of her point of view incorporated into this review would have helped make it more dynamic. It could have just been because my hair was a little greasy from three days of being on the train without showers. It could have also been the fact that I was speaking a little fast as I only had a few minutes to spare in the café. I also feel a little bad for writing a bad review like this because I’m sure there are a lot of circumstances that I am unaware of that led to her treating me in such a terrible way. However, I think that I am doing Jasper and its visitors a deed by posting a red flag on this place.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank traveller702
Calgary, Canada
“Frozen squares, good soup”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a soup, sandwich and a naniamo bar... The Atlantic clam chowder was good (couldn't tell if it was from a can, but it was tasty), the roast beef sandwich was old and dry, as was the bar (and appeared to have been frozen and then thawed before serving - it was disgusting). Even with tea we couldn't choked down more than a bite. Service was friendly, and it was super busy. Limited seating, and not too cozy, so not a cafe you'd want to linger in for a great deal of time.

Visited June 2013
JNP1973, Owner at The Other Paw Bakery and Cafe, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to urge you to please bring to our attention during your visit if something isn't up to your expectations. This allows us to do our best to improve your experience. Whether that is providing more sauce for your sandwich or getting you a new item entirely, we would like you to leave having had a positive experience at our store and can only do that if given the opportunity.
We proudly serve Campbell's soup that is a frozen product we bring in - we don't have a stove, just an oven, so we have no means to make soup from scratch.
Our naniamo bars however are made from scratch with quality ingredients such as real butter. They are stored in the refrigerator as per health and safety regulations and when butter is cold it can make the items it is in harder than when at room temperature, which for most baking, is the ideal temperature to enjoy it at. We are a small town that swells to accommodate a very busy summer season and do the best we can in the space that we have.
We are very pleased to offer our whimsical contemporary atmosphere but in the future if you are looking for something a bit more comfy like Grandma's kitchen I suggest you explore our other location The Bear's Paw and you may find the atmosphere you are looking for there, especially if you can come in the off season!
Sandakan, Malaysia
“Make sure you visit both "Paw" Bakeries in Jasper!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was the sister outlet of the famous Bear's Paw Bakery, and so on the 2nd of my 2 mornings in Jasper I felt I just had to be here to complete the series, so to speak (having already visited the Bear's Paw the previous day), well, ok, to enjoy some coffee and pastry.

It was about 7.30 am when I arrived and there were few people: the majority of people came here for takeaway. With a view of the mountains from where I sat (at the front of the café) the ambience was certainly great.

There seem to be some differences in menus between the 2 "Paw" cafes e.g. there's no "bear's paw" pastry here. But the food and coffee was great, and I was glad I would not be leaving with a feeling of having missed out on one of the 2 "Paw" bakeries.

• Visited June 2013