“Pleasant surprise”

Dining options: Reservations
Scarsdale, New York
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were in the mood for some Japanese food in Jasper after a visit to the icefield and went into Sayuri. The restaurant is very well lit and cozy, love the lowered seating arrangements. The menu is rather short if you don't eat much sushi or sashimi (like us) but we found hot pot on their menu and decided to give it a try and we were pleasantly surprised. The order is two people minimum, comes in a giant pot with miso soup, a big plate of salmon, pork, chicken, shrimp, squid, noodle, mushroom and vegetable. Large enough to feed two adults and two boys, although we also ordered gyoza, california roll and tempura on the side, which are all very good, especially the tempura (very light and tasty, fresh ingredients, and trust me, as someone who likes Japanese food but not raw fish, I've had tempura from many many places).
it is so good we returned for a second time during out short stay there.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
“A pleasant dining experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were greeted warmly upon entering the restaurant. What I really liked about the atmosphere is that that they have those tradition sitting booths in the restaurant. Since we made no reservation, we were seated at the sushi bar.
We ordered some sashimi and sushi. The sushi, an extremely spicy tuna call Kamikaze, lived up to expectations. There were lots of small peppers wrapped within the rice that gave it a dragon-worthy fiery taste.
The reason for giving it 2 stars less was that the sashimi wasn't fresh enough and the hot sake we ordered was merely lukewarm and not hot at all.

Edmonton, Canada
“Great, if you like being treated like garbage”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Walked into this restaurant yesterday afternoon after our party of 7 decided to try it as we felt like having Japanese food. As we entered we waited for some sort of acknowledgement from the staff, after a few moments we decided to go further in by a few steps and out of nowhere we hear "Can I help you?" in a very rude and demeaning fashion. I didn't quite get the name of the employee but he was an elderly Caucasian man, who clearly was in the wrong industry.
For someone to be so rude to potential paying customers I would think this gentleman should switch to being a grave-digger or working in a morgue. He would probably enjoy the company better.

After his initial question we asked if we could get a table. He then replied, "Well let me finish this and then I can get that set up..." so we looked at each other, and I suggested we go somewhere else than be served by this grump. We left happily and went to Villa Caruso, where we got great service and food, 200.00 this joke of a restaurant will never get. I will spread the word about my experience to everyone I know, as I know my other family members will.

I hope the gentleman that treated us so poorly finds what he is looking for, if not, then I hope he gets a pink slip.

4 Thank Clover82
“Worst ever”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Walked in and the old man there is completely rude and angry. We walked out completely offened. Do not eat here, do not give them business.

4 Thank Kalan W
Huntington Beach, California
“Come for lunch!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I don't know about their dinner menus, but thought their lunch menus were pretty good and not overpriced at all!! All in all, my experience of Japanese food in Canada is much better than southern California. Although, I thought some of their dishes were quite original and a little funky but still tasted good so I had no problem with that!! So if you want to get your stomach full, come here for their lunch combos! With rice and miso soup and all!!

Visited July 2013