Overlander Mountain Lodge
$78
Agoda.com
$117
Hotwire.com
All reviewsmountain view roompeak restaurantjasper national parkgas fireplaceminute drivemain buildinghot springsrelaxing staywi filovely roombed was very comfortablelog cabinstayed two nightsbeautiful settingsitting areacoffee makerblack beans
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Overlander Mountain Lodge has the perfect rustic feel to it, not your ordinary hotel and with breathtaking scenary. Service was amazing both at the desk as well as the servers, although the Stone Peak (lodge's restaurant) was a little expensive ($18.00 for an appy!). My spouse and I stayed in one of the Miette rooms with a fire place and the room was clean, the bed comfortable and I appriecated the sign in the bathroom to reuse your towels, nice to see an enviromentally forward hotel. Only letdown was the location, about 35 to 40 minutes to Jasper (because drive is through the national park and the speed goes from 70km to 90km and back and forth), but overall a wonderful stay. PS bring a book to wind down or walk on one of their great paths because there is no tvs. =)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I recently stayed at the Overlander Mountain Lodge for my first time. I had been told by many that I would love it there, so I was a bit concerned it might not meet my expectations. I had nothing to worry about from the minute I walked in to the main reception! My room was a lovely room in the lodge - a quiet and tastefully decorated sanctuary. The bed was very comfortable and I was able to relax and had the best sleep. Kind of a small detail, but I loved the alarm clock - it had a place for me to dock my iphone so I could listen to my own music and an audio book.
Their dining room in the main lodge is fantastic - the view alone is worth it! Thankfully the food was also very good.
I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I had never been on the other side of Jasper. The drive was great with lots of wildlife to be seen alongside the road. The main lodge is stunning with natural wood throughout and an intimate lounge area for reading where the wood burning fireplace was going. My room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. I enjoyed propping up the pillows and reading in bed. Breakfast the following morning was included in my stay. It was more than I expected. The yogurt parfait was enough so I declined the frittata. Convenient location yet secluded for that mountain retreat feel.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Lodge to celebrate New Years. The Mountain View rooms have been recently renovated and are well worth the price. The restaurant, though expensive, does boast a great wine list and some very good food with pleasant service. We were charged an extra $200 for the New Years package, which included dinner and breakfast. Other than that, New Years at the Lodge was pretty much a bust. A few guests were hanging around the lounge while a piano player halfheartedly played Auld Lange Syne at midnight. Staff had nearly let the fireplace die out about 10 minutes before midnight. We were hoping for a quiet celebration but this was a little too quiet for our liking. Just a little more by way of festivities would have been appreciated, especially for the price we paid. It is such a beautiful lounge that it was a shame that the Lodge hadn't organized something. Next year, we'll probably stay right in Jasper and find something a bit more lively.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Overlanderlodge, General Manager/Owner at Overlander Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2010

I can sympathize with this guests views since our New Years Celebration wasn’t a big party but then again it was never planned to be. We have done over 15 New Years here and they always consist of an evening of dining and mellow entertainment. This is the type of night our regular guests are looking for and this may be the reason there were only 6 people at the stroke of midnight. I apologize if we were in any way misleading and assure you it was not our intention.

Reviewed December 27, 2009

My fiance and I were considering the Overlander for our mountain wedding, but quickly changed our minds after stopping in for a night on our way to Jasper.
Our room was OK -- the fireplace was nice. The bathroom was dark and dingy, and the fan was malfunctioning. When we asked someone to help us we were told there was nothing they could do about it. The walls were paper thin, and we woke up to hear our next door neighbour showering.
Our biggest complaint is the service we received in the restaurant. We are in our mid-20s — at least 20 years younger than the average Overlander guests — and felt discriminated against by our server, who tended to her other customers frequently but failed to answer our simplest requests, and rushed us throughout our whole dinner. The food was tasty — but not worthy of the $150 tab (especially considering how rude our waitress was).
And don't go if you want to do anything besides sit on the patio or in your room — there are virtually no activities at the Overlander (at least, for anyone under the age of 50), and the views weren't nearly as stunning as we had hoped.
For an extra $30, you're far better off staying in Jasper. You'll get a lot more for what you pay for there.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank blondee900
Overlanderlodge, General Manager/Owner at Overlander Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2010

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and that we did not meet your service expectations. We strive very hard every day to ensure our guests have a memorable stay and receive warm, friendly service and in this case we failed to do so. I’m happy that there were some parts of your stay that you did enjoy though. The Overlander is definitely a unique lodge and does not appeal to everyone. Our guests typically come to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life and relax in a peaceful mountain setting with no televisions or phones to distract them. Some might find this boring, while others come for exactly this reason. The Main lodge and dining room have unobstructed mountain views and I do not hesitate to say they are some of the best you will find from any lodge or hotel in the Jasper Park. A lot of activities for the more adventurous are found on property and nearby like the Hot Springs or the Brule Sand Dunes. They are listed under activities on our website and the front desk can provide more information. We receive many positive comments which you can find here on Trip advisor or on our website under guest comments. I encourage all guests to contact us with any feedback to help us in doing a better job.