Overlander Mountain Lodge
$154
Official Site
$194
getaroom.com
All reviewsmountain view roompeak restaurantjasper national parkgas fireplaceminute drivemain buildinghot springsrelaxing staywi filovely roombed was very comfortablelog cabinstayed two nightsbeautiful settingsitting areacoffee makerblack beans
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Serene location with lots of natural beauty.The evening meal in the dining room was relaxing and enjoyable. The bed in the rooms in the main lodge was very clean and comfortable. Expensive for rooms without television and phones. My complaint was the thin walls, we could hear the conversations and coughing of the couple in the next room. I informed the front desk of the thin walls upon check out. Only stayed one night.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spike596
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We were looking for the perfect weekend getaway, to forget about the world and relax. We found it at the Overlander Mountain Lodge. Coming up the hill, off the highway, we were greeted by the main lodge. The main lodge was very cozy, with a large fireplace. We stayed in one of the Mountain View Rooms, which came recommended by the polite and helpful clerk on the phone. The price of the room was well worth it, for the wonderful stay we had. The view from the balcony of the room was absolutely beautiful! (You can see some of the pictures I’ve attached - I took sooo many!!!). The room had a charming fireplace, and very appealing décor, the theme of the room was blue. The bed was very comfortable and I had probably one of the best sleeps I’ve had since I was a little girl! The room didn’t have a telephone or a TV, which I liked, because then we could spend the weekend relaxing and forgetting about the outside world. It was nice not to have the hockey game playing in the background, or the phone ringing off the hook!

We had dinner in the restaurant, the food was absolutely wonderful. I had the lamb and my husband had the steak, both were VERY tasty! The menu is set up so that you get soup and salad with your entrée. If I have any complaints it would be that there was too much and its hard to fit dessert in as well. The wine menu was very nicely put together, with so much choice, but the manager was very helpful in helping us choose an excellent Bordeaux. They have the Wine Spectator Award for their menu. Dinner ran us about $150.00 with gratuity and was well worth the price. After the dinner we decided to sit and relax by the fire before going to bed.

The service from all of the employees was outstanding! Our server was very polite, and made us feel comfortable. She didn’t bother us by checking us too much, or ignoring us either. She held some great conversation with us about the activities in the area. The front desk was very helpful in providing information about Jasper, and as well as Hinton (which we didn’t visit, as the tourism is more in Jasper), and offered some ideas as to how to spend our time. It is a bit of a drive into jasper, about 40 minutes, but the drive is beautiful! There were some elk on the side of the road on our way into the park, and the mountains feel so close that you could touch them. All around I was impressed with our stay! I would highly recommend the Overlander to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sara_Butterfly
Reviewed August 1, 2007

We stayed in one of the Miette rooms which came highly recommended from a co-worker. He must be a heavy sleeper because we could hear everything in the rooms around us. First of all, you have to know that this establishment has no t.v's so it's very quiet in your room. Second of all, they promote this place as a couple's "getaway. Do you see where I'm going with this? The room we stayed in had four walls and three of them were attached to other couple's rooms. We had one couple that came back from hiking at 9:00pm (you couldn't help but hear their whole conversation), and between their showers, champagne etc., they never quieted down until after midnight. The couple on the other side was quite old and one of them was snoring by 7:30pm. I won't even talk about the third couple. This seems like a lot of words to get my point across but I wished someone would have told me all of this before I blew $170.00. There was a gas fireplace in the room but you have to have one of the staff come and light it for you. I would have liked that to be done in preparation of our stay! They have jet tubs in these rooms but there is a sign by the switch asking people not to use them after 9:00pm. Hmmm...maybe I'm not the first one to notice the paper thin walls! One other thing worth noting was the amount of mosquito's in the room. All the Miette rooms open to the outside only and there are no screen doors on the rooms so everytime someone goes in or out a handful of the pesky bugs will follow to feast on you at night. Finally I should mention that the people that run this lodge never took the time to ask me how my stay was, where I was from etc. I kept hearing from my co-worker how friendly these people were but they hardly even glanced at me as they took my money. On the plus side, the food in the restaurant was fantastic. If you happen to pass this way, I highly recommend the restaurant but DO NOT stay overnight.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank wolfden
clintonfromhinton, General Manager/Owner at Overlander Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2008

I would like to thank this guest for their feedback with regards to their stay. I would have preferred to know much sooner that there was a problem with the room so I could offer one of our 6 other room types. We do have chalets that are completely on their own which would have given you the privacy you were looking for. Unfortunately since you chose to wait until after you left to let us know you were unhappy it is much more difficult to help you. We did hear your complaints though and have reinsulated all of the Miette rooms which has made them much quieter. While we did this we also repainted them and put in new floors. As a privately owned property we take a lot of pride in our place and are constantly improving it, this year our Mountain View Rooms have been completely renovated. I love to hear feedback from our guests so we know which areas need improvement. There are some things we cannot control though and one of them is mosquitos. In fact that summer the whole of Jasper was affected due to a lot of snowfall during the winter which left water in a lot of places that it would normally not have been. We were actually much better off since our property is up on the hill and not in the valley. I wasn't enjoying the mosquitos either (I live out here) but I guess that is one of the small prices we have to pay for living in nature rather than a city. The fireplaces do not need to be lit by the staff, they are operated with the thermostat on the wall. I'm sorry if this wasn't explained at check in. We train all our staff to let our guests know. I would encourage any of our guests to please let us know if you are unhappy with any aspect of your stay as soon as possible. We will do everything we can to see if we can change the situation. We want you to be happy and enjoy this place as much as we do!

Reviewed July 2, 2007

We really enjoyed our recent stay at the Overlander. The service was exceptional, our meal was perfect, the wine was delightful, the view was breathtaking and we had a great sleep. Must be that mountain air! Our servers and hotel attendants were very friendly, without being overbearing, they really made us feel welcome.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2007

Our stay at the Overlander Mountain Lodge was truly amazing. In Alberta on business (from NYC), my wife and i decided to visit Jasper and Banff National Parks. One of the stops along our journey was the Overlander Mountain Lodge. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in their dinning room (the view was fantastic) and had a delicious complimentary breakfast in the morning. We were quite impressed with every aspect of our experience. The staff was genuinely friendly and very helpful, the lodge was beautiful, and the location was spectacular. Our stay at the Overlander Mountain Lodge was the highlight of our Canadian experience. Thanks for everything Clint!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business