“Great hotel and friendly staff”
Review of Maligne Lodge

Maligne Lodge
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Reviewed September 21, 2010

On arrival at the hotel on 13th Sept we were greated at reception by a friendly receptionist who advised us that she had upgraded our rooms free of charge and we would be in the rooms next to the indoor pool. This pleased my friends daughter who could not wait to have a swim.
The rooms were lovely very spacious with excellent facilities from flat screen TV's to a fridge and coffee maker with comfy beds and a very clean bathroom, the only odd thing being is that the washbasin is in the main room opposite the bathroom door with only the bath/shower and toilet being in the main bathroom.... ideal for families but bear in mind if travelling with friends or work colleagues.
After going in to Jasper after dumping our cases we decided that we would eat in the hotels restaurant Shultz & Wuu Restaurant Pub that evening as we had travelled from Banff and had a long drive. To cut a long story short that decision had to be the worst we made all trip..... firstly when we entered the restaurant there was a note on the counter stating "sit yourselves" we found a table and sat down, a server appeared and filled our glasses with water and gave us some menus. We ordered after a short time and then waited 45 mins for our food, there was a table of 6 nearby who although had menus before us had only just received their food when we had finished ours. The meal was substandard, we were advised that there were no steaks which was fair enough but when my friends daughter asked for chicken bites we were told that they did not have any of those either.... my meal was wrong I ordered chicken and ribs with fries and instead got ribs and fries.... my friends fish and chips was ok but like my meal not worth the $19.95 price tag, when we asked for the desert menu as advertised on the main menu we were told that there were no deserts avaliable because they were not popular and they went off quickly, when asked if they had some ice cream we were told no. There was only the one server who looked like he had just crawled out of bed, and a chef in the kitchen. The service was dreadful and when the bill was brought over for $53.93 I placed $54.00 on the table and we left. A short time after we were in the car park area getting some items from the car and the server came out and shouted at me "that was not a tip that was an insult" and threw the 7 cents change in my hand... I did not have time to react and was so shocked that I had to sit down for a while in my room. I appreciate in Canada it is the right thing to give a 15% tip however that is for good service not for the service that we received. My friend did complain to reception and was advised that they will probably not renew the contract for the restaurant as they had other complaints, she did fill in a complaint card and has also emailed the hotels head office.
I would recommend Miss Italia in the main town - hard to find but ask the locals.
Despite the issues with the restaurant I would recommend this hotel as the rest of the service was great and the rooms clean and spacious and modern and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Happytripper1974

Reviewed September 16, 2010

We had a family kitchenette suite at this hotel. It was nice to be able to cook a small breakfast instead of always eating out. This room was especially good for kids as it had a separate bedroom where we put a playpen. In all honesty though I still feel I paid much too much as the state of the room was exceptionally medicore. When I pay well over $200/night I expect a quality room which this wasn't.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank travelsept2010
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here on a 2 night stopover en route through the Rockies. Rooms clean, but in urgent need of updating. Swimming Pool area - same. We used the Restaurant for a ? breakfast buffet ?, but would not recommend as pricey for what we saw as 2 loaves (laying open) on side, one caterer's tub of ? butter with milk in bottom ?, unfortunately rather offputting. Jasper town is approx 3 blocks away with lots of shops/restaurants/cafes. Visit Maligne Lake and Athabasca falls (a definite) whilst here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank 092610i
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I stayed here on Sept 1 and 2. I tried to book by phoning but they wanted about $185 a night. I knew online it was only $149 but they would not negotiate. I booked with hotels.ca and got the $149/night rate. While I was checking in I heard them tell someone else they could have a room for $210 a night. On Sept 3, the morning I checked out, there were 3 elk walking across the street just outside the hotel. The hotel is on the edge of the town so I would not think this is likely to happen at other hotels.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank BCLions123
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed here with a few friends in a large suite. the accommodations were great! nice, CLEAN place. staff were really helpful. they helped transport our luggage from our car to the room. they brought extra towels right away. really nice and friendly. would certainly recommend this place to others!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank private62
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We reviewed this hotel on Trip Advisor and they had a VERY good photographer. The rooms are downright depressing. The standard room is small, dated, dark and worn. I wouldn't leave the comforter on the bed. Although it may have been clean, it was so looked so worn it didn't inspire confidence in it's cleanliness. We upgraded, for more money of course to a suite. This was a much better accomodation, but was right off the swimming pool room, which meant whiffs of chlorine coming and going. The bed was newer, as were the linens and we got a great nights sleep. The bath had been updated and had a great shower. There was a kitchenette and living area with flat screen TV. The cost was high, but it seems all the hotels in Jasper are high as compared to Banff. One other high point was the staff. The front desk was very helpful and made extra effort to answer questions and notify us of transportation.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maxie001
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We stayed here with my in-laws and it smelled bad when you first walked in the door. It had one separate room that was so tiny you could barely walk around the bed and it had a tiny window that didn't let in any fresh air. The bathroom fixtures were really old and the temperature in the shower was hard to regulate. In the main room, there was another bed and a TV, but there was only one chair to sit in and everyone else would have had to crowd on the bed to watch anything. It was way overpriced as we have stayed in places that are a lot nicer for cheaper. I will probably never stay at this place again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family