Check in experience was fine, but got to rooms and looked all and well until you roll up the sheets to look for bed bugs (as we do at EVERY hotel we stay at).
- mattress was incredibly dirty with lint, dead bugs, other material. Rm 223 also had a really sketchy looking bathroom, with tiles and baseboards falling off the wall. RM 204 also had dirty bed but didn't stay long enough to check out couch or bathroom.
- called front desk to voice concern and had to request to stay in another room, also asked to have someone come and see the room and no one showed up for ~15 mins. We gave up waiting for the staff that was supposed to be 'sent immediately' then headed back to office to get new room assignment.
- was re-assigned rooms and that too was dirty. Same dirt in mattress, took a picture of only one mattress, didn't think to get them both. See pic, which isn't even the beginning of what was in the edges of the mattresses.
- went to front desk to ask for money back and the attendant Ahmed was incredibly rude. Saying things like "everyone had to move so you could get another room", "we gave you complimentary upgrade and you're not grateful", and "we don't give refunds for any reason".
- when he FINALLY got the assistant manager, he was also rude in saying that we had to stay there regardless... there was NO way we were staying in that dirty place! After about 5 minutes of typing who knows what on his computer he said we would not be charged for the room.
- not impressed that the staff were so rude when we were being reasonable in the request for a clean room for over $250 a night. We did not ask for an upgrade, we only asked for another room.
- since I had said the mattress was dirty and was concerned about bed bugs, they were angry when they said they 'investigated' and it wasn't. The assistant manager actually said that he wouldn't refund us since we 'accused' them of having bed bugs - when I clarified what I had actually said to his staff, he said 'oh no problem then'.... unbelievable!
- what I couldn't get over was the mattress was covered in 2 mattress pads and then another sheet. Seeing as how mattress pads are historically not changed or washed in hotels/motels that it was not normal for the mattress to be so dirty. There was also a large yellow spot on one of the mattresses that smelled like fresh urine.
- we stayed in a house that had "approved accommodation" and it was great. They actually said that the Maligne Lodge was the lowest of the accommodations, dirtiest in Jasper. They were dumbfounded when we told them the price of the room.
Highly suggest staying with a family in one of the 'approved accommodation' - they are closer to downtown and usually have a few extra perks (pick garden fresh fruits and veg, etc)
Also, as others have wrote, this is a motel style building. Also, we didn't even stay here so this experience is just the 30 minutes since we checked-in, moved rooms and left.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quietly nestled at the end of Jasper's main street where the mountains meet the town site, Maligne Lodge offers a relaxing haven in which guests can retreat after an adventurous day. Mornings bring the refreshing smell of crisp mountain air and evenings, the chance to relax by a crackling fire. Days, are wide open for guests to enjoy, whether on an action-packed outing on the slopes or a peaceful exploration of the landscape below. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maligne Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maligne Hotel Jasper
- Maligne Lodge Jasper