“Nice and worth”
Review of Maligne Lodge

Maligne Lodge
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The hotel is located very well, the rooms are big enough, the service is Ok, there are pool and Hot tub. The internet is very convenient without the password heading. However, it is quite slow with many disconnections. The room include minimal requirement for breakfast since they serve breakfast at their restaurant.

Room Tip: Room on first floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NetanaiNetania
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

We are happy to hear the positive aspects of your stay, well located, big enough room but appreciated your comments regarding the slow internet. I have forwarded your comments to our IT department for their review. Thank you for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maligne Lodge in the near future.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We couldn't get a room at the back when we asked so, being a light sleeper, I heard the train all 3 mornings at 4am. I would have turned the fridge off, but we were using it, as it resonated every time the compressor switched on. However my partner slept through everything ok. We had coffee and breakfast cereals and milk with us, so we asked for a kettle and cereal bowls and spoons and these were promptly delivered to our room. The room was a reasonable size and comfortable, but showing a few signs of age. We were reading the lodge information the next day and noticed it was a pet friendly place. At this point we realised the cereal bowls we'd been given weren't for people! We returned them to reception where they were replaced and they apologised, however we got the impression that, it was considered amusing, but we didn't find it funny. Breakfast was quite good and run as a help yourself buffet. Perhaps now would be a good time to update the lodge information as it says you can't charge your breakfast to your room when you can and that they serve omlettes but they don't. They should also review procedures so that people without pets don't mistakenly get pet bowls given in place of cereal bowls!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarDee22

After reading your review, I did not know quite how to respond, especially about your comments regarding the cereal bowls. I was shocked to read that this had actually happened. Please accept my apologies. There was obviously some miscommunication that took place. If you could take a moment and email me your information and the date of your stay, I will look into this situation to ensure it does not happen again. I have also contacted my head office to update our website re breakfast. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I look forward to hearing from you. My email is: ebahner@tonquininn.com.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Within walking distance of the town center, very pratical rooms on the second floor that have direct access - good for people with a lot of luggage!
Clientèle tends to be very loud with the doors and when walking by your door, at a late hour.
Over all, a good sleep and good location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Midgee73
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

I am glad to read that overall you enjoyed your recent stay at the Maligne Lodge and that you were able to take advantage of our direct access to our rooms. Thank you for posting your comments and we look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Jasper.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights, we asked for a room away from the main road as we have learned that unlike Australia where buildings are brick with concrete slabs, most motels in USA Canada are timber/timber floors etc and quite noisy. We ended up out on the back street which was good. We had 2 beds and the room was big enough. We couldnt work out why it was stuffy as the heating appeared to be off, we ended up leaving the window open all the time to keep it cool. You couldnt use the ceiling fan at night because it had a light and they werent independent. The floor boards were quite creaky and I felt a bit sorry for anyone who may have been in the room below. Its definately not walking distance to town but theres heaps of parking. The staff at reception were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: I thought the rooms out the back street level 2 were probably the best.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiBecker

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Maligne Lodge. It is always nice to her that my staff is accommodating and providing our guests with good service. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the location and size of your room. I have shared your comments with my Maintenance team and they are looking into the heating and ceiling fan issue. All of the staff and management hope that you were able to take home fond memories of your visit to Jasper.

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I guess the name of it doesn't quite convey that they are a motel, but considering the price, it's not surprising. The rooms are quite decent and clean. The outdoor walkways to the rooms can get very puddly when it rains. My biggest gripes lie in the washroom. The toilet seat would not stay up. In addition, the shower's water pressure was weak and the temperature was constantly swinging from freezing to scalding; it made showering a very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at the Maligne Lodge. I am glad to read that your found yur room decent and clean, however, I am disappointed that you had issues with your bathroom. I have forwarded your comments to my Maintenance Manager who will be looking into these issues. Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Jasper.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We arrived at Jasper after driving the Icefields Parkway, the lodge was very clean and the price was good. We stayed in a family suite which had 2 bedrooms. The girl at reception insisted that we view the rooms before committing to staying . The beds were comfortable and all bed linen and towels were very white and clean. The staff were very helpful and the added bonus was that it had a guest laundry. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 1716sandy

"Great place to stay" - that is quite a comment and one I am very proud to hear. I am delighted that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and found the property to be clean and well priced. Its always nice to read that the staff were helpful and accommodating. Thank you for sharing your comments. All of the staff and management look forward to serving you again on a return visit.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We arrived after a long drive from burnaby. We were disheartened to hear we had to pay $50 additional for our 2 well behaved pets, much more than in banff, Canmore, revelstoke or anywere else we stayed. Second problem was that there was not a single parking space in the frozen car park area, this despite the seedy motel not being full. Breakfast is non existent and when we drove into town the next morning we doscovered plenty better options available closer to town and with amenities nearby. The room was clean enough but facilities, layout and atmosphere was sub standard to a super 8 motel you would probably pay 40% less for.

Room Tip: If you are arriving late then choose another option for easier parking so you don't have to walk...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank geodiner
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for submitting a review of your recent stay at the Maligne Lodge. I am glad to read that you found your room clean. I am, however, disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay, as we normally receive very positive feedback from our guests.
The charging of pet fees vary and are standard practice for hotels. I, myself, have encountered $10.00 per pet per day to $25.00 per pet per stay and even $125.00 per pet per stay. Our policy for pet fees is consistently compared to the standard for Jasper to ensure that we are and always remain competitive.
Being located in a National Park presents many challenges especially parking as the space allocated for parking is limited in comparison to the number of rooms a hotel has. This issue is one that many hotels in Jasper face and is not just an issue for the Maligne Lodge.
Thank you again for providing us with your feedback and we hope to have an opportunity to host you again in the near future.